1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Is saving energy really helping anything?

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by windstrings, Dec 26, 2005.

1. windstrings

windstrings Certified Prius Breeder

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Maybe I'm just full of crap, but isn't energy just a commodity?

Seems there is alot of talk about saving energy. Over the years it seemed the same companies that preached saving energy later turn out to be the same ones that drive the price up and end up with a surplus?

I still remember the oil crisis of the 80's I lived close to Galveston, you could see oil tankers stacked out as far as the eye could see for weeks... until they disappeared as little dots in the sea. Later we found out that the reserves were completely full and there was no place to put thier oil!... yet at the same time they we claiming a crisis and gas was higher than it had ever been? Every since then I have been keeping my eye on the oil industry. We forget their tricks so soon!

My sense of paranoia tells me that in order to simulate a psychology that convinces the public its ok to raise energy prices even more "be it gas or electricity", they have to convince everyone there is a shortage? Part of that strategy is to promote advertizing that talks of "saving" and using less energy by using more energy efficient products.

Why is it when we have a "shortage", 10 years later after massive numbers of population has increased from the international influx we still have enough energy?

I live in an area that has doubled in population in the last few years... yet we still have electricity?... We still are not even using all of our power from the Bonneville Dam, we actually buy from other areas and sell ours to California!

Aren't there many many different avenues we could explore and dormant avenues we could utilize to make more power?
    We have acres and acres of land doing nothing that could be soaking up sun for solar arrays... or growing crops for bioenergy.... turbines in the ocean tides? Why are we not doing it?

Isn't the real issue here whether we are willing to spend the bucks to do this?... not if there is not a market to them make money we won't!

If we use less gas or electricity... they just cut the supply.... the price is the same to us and they make even more money because they are buying less to sell to us?.. Nice scam eh?
    If they can get us to cut back.... they make "more" money because they will not lower the price, so they are selling less for more?

Why are we not building more refineries?.. we dont' "need" the gas?... oh really?
    Have we forgotten how to build them?.. what is our true motivation?

Why are we not building more devices to make energy?... because it would make too much supply and they would have to lower the prices!... thats why!

I see the sun shining, the wind blowing, the tides moving incessantly, but we cry about not having enough energy?... I don't believe it!.... In 20 years, we will be hearing the same story.

Saving energy definately lowers our own expenses on a family level, but as soon as "everybody" does it we will have less demand so they cut supply and we still pay the same price?

Recently Gas prices went up and now they are back down.. but not until we were about make laws that limited and put a ceiling on their gouging? Did they ever institute those laws that our senators were pushing for?... heck no... not that I am aware of anyway!... They just lowered the price to get rid of the heat.
    We are still vulnerable to their abuse.... we had hurricaines, asking for gas from other countries, people giving record amounts to offset the crisis's and the whole time they were make record breaking profits in the billions!... 30 or so If I remember on one quarter?
    Yes, how soon we forget thier tricks!.. They play us like pawns!
    Because they lowered prices "not even back to where they were before they did the gouging" we think they are our friends for being so nice to us?....

Why was this allowed? and why did we not go through with rules to stop this in the future? We were already at Congress and submitting the proposals?.. what happened?
    We are sittin ducks again!

Why did the price drop so, where did all the gas come from? are we really so nieve? Yea they talk about China etc.. but aren't all of those excuses still there?

I know they told the refineries to make more gas to help bail us out and thats supposedly why the prices are now cheaper. I don't believe them. I really hate feeling like a pawn thats lied to in the dark.

Watching how the stock market talking heads talk teaches us alot of the tactics of the media and the government.

And now we have so easily forgotten! As soon as they were brought before the big boys in Congress and got their hands slapped they realized they had raped the american public too much for too long. They are all in bed with each other, but we really hold the power!...we just won't use it????

They only lowered the prices to set us up again. Its a constant cycle they go through over and over to keep the market guessing while they rake it in making money on both the upside as well as the down... they hold the cards.

2. tripp

tripp Which it's a 'ybrid, ain't it?

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Yup. There's a lot going on in the Solar, Wind, and Ocean sectors of the energy market. Good stuff will continue to happen. Wind and solar are growing by upwards of 30% annually. The traditional sectors are more like 1-2%/yr. The real problem with stationary energy generation is that you have to be able to supply base load. Right now there aren't renewables that can do that on a large scale AND be cost competetive with fossil/nukes. Until a cost effective and reliable way of storing excess renewable energy is developed these sources are going to be supplemental. Solar is a really useful "peeking" source because it's readily available when it's needed most... on hot, sunny days. Currently, natural gas fired plants are the most common "peeking" power plants because they can throttle their output, whereas coal and nuke plants can't. That's why coal and nuke are used for base load.

As for oil... Global oil consumption is expected to rise again this year to about 85 million barrels (42 US gals) per day. An increase of something like 1.5 ma bbl/day over the past amount. I sure that in the short term that production will be able to keep up but oil production has as much to do with geo politics as physics so who knows. All of the oil "crises" in the past have been of a politcal nature. It'll be interesting to see when they are of a physical nature. When that happens the price of oil will skyrocket since global production will have peaked.

What's counted in the global reserves is tricky at best. The middle east oil barrons guard their reserve estimates very closely so no one really knows what's going on over there. The Kuwaitis recently addmitted that their Burgan oil field, the second largest oil field in the world, has peaked... about 15 years AHEAD of schedule. There are some folks who suspect that the Saudis can't increase their production in any meaningful way (they're already injecting a lot of water into their fields to produce more oil... a standard practice but one that suggests that their fields are maturing). Also, the quality of the Saudi oil is changing to heavier varieties of oil. I don't think that the Canadian tar sands or the US oil shale has been included in those reserves. We (US) have appearently VAST amounts of hydrocarbons locked up in the oil shales. The catch is that the oil shales represent underdeveloped oil. They contain a compound called kerogen which is a precursor to oil and natural gas. The catch is that to create oil and NG from kerogen you've gotta heating up, cooking the hydrocarbons and causing new reactions to take place thereby creating oil and NG. The same basic approach is required of the tar sands. The problem is that these processes require HUGE amounts of energy to be expended to transform the kerogen, or bitumen in the case of the tar sands, into usable oil. That energy is likely to come from ole King Coal (he a'int a merry old soul, the bugger) because it's cheap and often located near the oil shale or tar sands. Thus the amount of CO2 and other pollutants associated with a gallon of gasoline will jump up quite a bit. Not good. Shell claims that they have an in situ process for producing oil for oil shale that is competitive with $30/barrel oil. They have a couple of test facilities here in Colorado and possibly Wyoming (those two states have the majority of the economic deposits of oil shale in the US). I saw a blurb on Green Car Congress about lease applications flooding into the BLM for oil shale developement.

As much as I hate to say it I think that our best short term solution is PBR Nuclear power plants. Nuke will never be long term because it's still non-renewable but it would go the farthest to buy us the time to develope something else and completely rethink the way that the grid is structured. I really like the idea of the WWW approach (ie a completely distributed grid instead of a couple of massive power plants feeding everyone else). It's gonna take time to implement though.

And that is my $0.02 (adjusted for inflation, those are 2005 dollars :D )

3. windstrings

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Hi Tripp.... It sounds like you are pretty privy to this subject.. you must be in the field?
    Anyway...... I have also wondered about our propane reserves?..... when I was young, that was supposed to be the next alternative energy that was going to save the day.

I still hear we have so much, that we don't even know how much we have?

Our measuring instruments can't even see the bottom of the caverns that hold the propane! They can test pressure, but as far as volume, they get lost as the instruments go off the scale?
    Propane if very pure energy at that will only water as a waste. You can burn a propane lantern all night in your tent without danger of asphyxiation... just dont' let it eat up all the oxygen and your ok!

Another example of energy not being used?.. why? Seems we don't want to use energy and thereby lower the price? Somebody likes making money more than saving the economy!

And you did speak of solar and how its tough to make power without a way to store it.
    Well dams have the same problem as well as wind turbines. They immediatly send it down the road as they make it.

But if we did need to store it, why can't we make electricity with the wind and solar and through electrolysis, store that energy as hydrogen?

We could make tons of energy with that method of storage?

I don't know what the efficentcy loss is in the conversion, but its sure better than doing nothing at all?

I just really don't buy thier story... I don't think they aren't trying near hard enough and if we only had true motivation to do so, we could make megakilowatts of energy and store it as hydrogen. All you need is water and electricity? ;)

When we use the term "they" that means anybody who has the power to initiate the project. And few want to do such a thing without a profit being involved... its hard to fight against the oil mafia!

4. daniel

daniel Cat Lovers Against the Bomb

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    There's a song that includes the verse:

"I believe my Savior is coming in all haste,
    and anything we haven't used will then have gone to waste."

I don't subscribe to that philosophy, but I fear the morons running our country do. I just hope the bubble doesn't burst in my lifetime. I give it a 50-50 chance, depending on whether or not the doctors can figure out what's causing my arrythmia and fix it. If they can't, my chances are pretty good of not being around for the next big economic crash.

5. tripp

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Nope, just an interested citizen.

Propane is the by-product of natural gas and oil refining. As such there aren't really propane reserves because it's tied to the reserves of those other commodities. For more info check out this link

Dams acutally have storage... the water behind the dam. With solar and wind there are approaches and hydrogen is one way. Compressed air is another as well as flywheels.

The current problem with hydrogen is that electrolysis (the splitting water part) takes a lot of energy. Then, once you've got hydrogen you've gotta store it. Right now there are only two practical methods: liquification and compression. Both require a fair amount of energy to accomplish. Many folks have argued that its better to just use the electricity directly instead of lossing half of it to the various inefficiencies.

This all translates into inflating the cost of the electricity produced. That's the whole problem. The conventional methods are so cheap (granted they are also subsidized so we're hardly talking about a free market... but that's another issue altogether). Until the hydrogen storage issues are solved... and they will be, solar and wind are going to be supplemental sources of energy.

I think that if we can just get solar cheap enough that we'll be able to use it at the home level and not worry about intricate storage solutions. I'd love to have a solar array that feed energy into a flywheel that could then charge my plug-in hybrid quickly. The technology is there to make that happen today... but you'd have to be rich. That'll change. There's a lot of stuff going on in the nanotechnology sector that's going to revolutionize a wide variety of fields.

Terrawatts ;) :p

6. Wynder

Wynder New Member

There's all kinds of caveats to alternative power methods... Solar power is something insane like only 15% efficient and would take a land mass the size of Alaska to power a large metropolitan city, wind power has issues with bird migrations flying into them.

The sad reality is that we will probably be dependant upon fossil fuel for at least another 40 years. Open up drilling in ANWR to reduce our foreign dependancy and push funding into hybrid and alternate solid or liquid fuel source development.

7. tripp

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Actually, that's WAY off. Using current technology we could power this entire country using an area of land that was 102 miles on a side... of course that would only be during the day. There are enough class 3 wind areas on the planet (on land too, not in the middle of the ocean) to supply 72 Terrawatts of power. Current global consumption is about 3-4 Terrawatts.

ANWAR would help but is largely a useless gesture. First, it would be 10 years before we see a drop of oil. Second, the 50% case has peak oil at 887,000 barrels/day. While that's something it's really not much. It will barely keep the US at it's current produciton levels. Remember, US oil production peaked 35 years ago. It's all downhill for us from there.

We would be FAR more good by having much more efficient vehicles and cities.

8. daniel

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Solar only produces during the day. That means it can only supply half our non-transportation energy needs. The word "only" is a joke here. Half our non-transportation energy needs is a humungous amount of energy and would take an enormous bite out of our import requirements.

Wind has analogous limitations, but similarly enormous potential.

The solution is not going to be any one technology. It's going to be a mix of technologies, some of which will provide very small amounts of energy in specialized applications or where they happen to be available, and others of which will be larger.

Example: in North Dakota the peak energy demand is during blizzards. Wind therefore becomes the ideal solution for peak-shaving. Wind is ALWAYS available when peak energy is required in N.D.

With creative thinking, we have the technology NOW to end the importation of oil and eliminate the need to drill in sensitive areas.

All we have to do is dump the crooked politicians who are tied by their own business interests or by corruption to fossil fuels and the people who profit from them.

Back to N.D.: The biggest impediment to wind power in N.D. is that the coal companies own the power distribution grid and will not allow wind power onto their grid. Other states have passed laws requiring the power companies to buy excess wind energy. But in N.D. the coal companies have paid off the legislators to block similar legislation. So the problem is political, not technological. Similar market distortions exist on the national level due to subsidies for established industries and laws favoring them.

9. StuartS

StuartS New Member

Surely you're missing the point, probably man's ingenuity will keep sufficient energy flowing in some form or other to satisfy demand, the cost will rise but that's to be expected. It's not the cost or availability of energy that's the problem, it's the by-products of it's use that's buggering our planet. Global warming is insideous and it's effects will make themselves felt for generation (that's if we manage to limit carbon emmisions from now). The Prius is primarily designed to limit emmisions, excellent fuel consumption id a happy by-product of that. In the UK we pay annual car tax based on emmissions and the Prius at 104 grams is one of the cheapest cars. (Petrol prices have reduced dramatically from the peaks around the time of Katrina and now are an average of 87p / Litre, about £3.96 / Imp gallon in the UK so the Prius is a great economical car)

I've heard President Bush's arguments against Kyoto but a start has to be made, no matter how imperfect the method, efficiency improvements/ refinements can be introduced after. You may have a few more years of comfortable living without too many penalties to either private citizen or industry but climate change will get you in the end and in the meanwhile the rest of the world's resovoir of goodwill towards the USA will keep on sliding. As the undoubted lead nation of the western world we look to leadership from you not reticence when it may prove less convenient for you in the short term.

10. tripp

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Unfortunately, you're preaching to the choir. The problem on this side fo the pond (at least in the states) is that there's no federal leadership on this issue. There are several states that are moving forward with their own initiatives. Right now the count stands at about 20 that have mandated that some amount of their electricity come from renewables. The two most agressive states, California and New York, have Republican Governors who have been very engaged in the renewables push. The real problem is the abundance of cheap fossil fuels available in the US (and they're cheap because the externalities aren't included in the cost and there are significant subsidies in place). There's a lot of money involved and short sighted greed has been a real hinderance to both conservation efforts and replacement technologies.

11. windstrings

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Here is hope..... they have found a new way to store hydrogen thats stable in a tablet form...
    http://www.dtu.dk/English/About_DTU/News.a...A-20455C2CF1A7}
    http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2004/...40107071941.htm
    http://www-news.uchicago.edu/releases/04/0....hydrogen.shtml
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/tyne/3744326.stm

12. skruse

skruse Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    You cannot "save" energy. You can conserve, use less and be more efficient. Regardless of source, conservation is always more cost effective. Cost deferred is cheaper than constantly "going and getting more".

Buildings (schools, business, offices, churches) must be climate appropriate (geography, latitude, heating and cooling degree days, oriented for solar heating and light). Every roof should have photovoltaic panels - to contribute to the grid when an individual building has a "surplus." Even at low efficiencies, renewables are cost effective in net metering states - we must think and act long-term, not short-term.

Lloyds' of London (400 years in business), fully realizes that money is made by NOT paying a claim, rather than collecting a premium, then paying later on a loss. No premium is collected for investment or coverage elsewhere, but then no loss is incurred.

In energy, it is always more cost effective to hold onto what you already have vs. "go get more." We are still suffering from the unlimited energy promises of the 1950s where energy was supposed to be "too cheap to meter." There is always a cost, and paying up front (conservation) is always more cost effective.

13. tripp

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    There's no doubt that there's a lot going on in this sector. Whoever's first to come up with a viable product is gonna make a lot of money. Nanotechnology is what's gonna make a breakthrough possible almost assuredly.

14. daniel

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    You make it sound like the problem is solved. None of this is anywhere near producing anything practical. Maybe in a decade, or two, or three...

I suspect that viable electric cars are closer to reality than practical hydrogen storage.

Maybe something like a hydrogen Prius-Plus, with 50 miles of battery and 50 miles of hydrogen for a 100-mile range. On the other hand, the LiIon tzero went from L.A. to Las Vegas on a charge!

Stuart: How am I missing the point when I advocate renewables like wind and solar that do not involve carbon? I am agreeing with you that we need to get away from carbon-based energy.

I used to say that in North Dakota we're in favor of global warming. But nobody got the joke. Sigh!

15. windstrings

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Well I am definately not versed on this topic.... but as I understand from what I have read.... the big obstacle to hydrogen power has been a way to store it.. a safe way... one that won't take out an elevated freeway should the car get rear-ended by a semi!

I am starting to read about 'Nikola Tesla' the guy who did amazing inventions.. one of which was to pull energy right out of the air or if you will "space" around the antennea apparatus he had built.

The reason it was never developed was because the power was "free"
    No one could make a profit!
    Imagine free energy!..... we are surrounded by magnetic fields full of energy?... when you flush the toilet have you wondered why it turns counterclockwise?... why not the other way or not at all?.. its magnetic energy all around us?.. why haven't we harnessed that?

I wonder just how many things have been "shelved" because they would be toooooo good for society and not provide a profit for anybody except mankind?

Here is a couple of links...there are many more on google:
    http://www.mind-course.com/wireless.html
    http://www.braincourse.com/wirelessa.html

16. tripp

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    That's the effect. The rotation of the earth causes that.

My guess is that the number is 0. If it'll make a buck then it'll get produced.

17. windstrings

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I know, but its the magnetic fields from that movement that causes that..... Imagine the emmense energy of the earth rotating.....if we could harness just a tiny bit of that!

Think about this... if we can stop all electrical activity an a localized area for miles with a strong EMP "electromagnetic pulse wave" of which we already have incorporated into some of our bombs..... why can't we do the opposite and energize the atmosphere with electrical energy of which many electrical devices could run if they were attuned to its frequency and voltage?

I know all this sounds far out... but I'm convinced some of this must be in the works but hidden to prevent economic chaos.
    Back in the day of this inventor.. they thought the X-rays he invented was poppy cock....

18. Three60guy

Three60guy -->All around guy<-- (360 = round) get it?

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    No one has mentioned "Peak Oil" yet. The concept that we have gone through half of the world reserves of oil and has peaked. From this point forward this concept basically says we are on the declining slope of the bell curve of producing basic oil.

For more on Peak oil see this link:

Peak Oil

While the name of the web site seems off the wall, when you get into it the information is pretty dog gone believable.

I also have heard gas prices will be going up in the Spring of 2006 because no maintenance has been done on the refineries due to Hurricane Katrina. They merely postponed normal maintenance activity. When those refineries start to go down I have read the price of gas will again go past the $3.00 level. We will see.

I also have heard if everyone had a hybrid there would be no need to import oil from other countries. Not sure if I believe that. But if that is true then we certainly would be doing something constructive with our hybrid vehicles.

19. JackDodge

JackDodge Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    That's absolutely the point Three60. Conserving what we have is far more important that finding more energy sources. All of the existing alternative energy sources have their limitations and don't come even close to replacing fossil fuel so they can help but this idea that we'll somehow find a new source is wishful thinking. It's nice to have that kind of faith in science but if we don't find it, we'll be SOL sooner rather than later if we don't conserve what we have. Tripp's point is very important too. This country needs the leadership to get us to conserve. Of course, Jimmy Carter, who was way ahead of his time in this area got voted out of office because everyone wanted to keep on consuming and didn't want to bother with conserving.

20. daniel

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Windstrings: now you've drifted off into fantasy.

Tesla never harvested any free energy. Crackpots have been "inventing" so-called perpetual motion machines for ages. All they work for is to con stupid people into handing over their money.

The Earth's magnetic field has nothing whatsoever to do with the coriolis effect, and the coriolis effect has nothing to do with why the water swirls in the toilet bowl.

Water swirls in the bowl because U.S. toilets are designed to swirl: the water enters at an angle. The toilets commonly used in Europe do not swirl because the water enters straight. (I lived there for a year and a half!)

Storage is NOT the "major" obstacle to a hydrogen economy. It is only one of several. A bigger obstacle is how are you going to produce it? If you produce it from fossil fuels, all you've accomplished is moving the pollution from the car to the production facility. Another obstacle is the astronomical price of fuel cells. If we had storage today, nobody but Bill Gates could afford to buy a fuel cell car.

Finally, NO, we cannot harvest the Earth's rotating magnetic field, because we are rotating along with it by sitting on the surface of the Earth. The field is NOT moving with respect to us or any machine that could conceivably harvest it, And BTW it is incredibly weak.

I am afraid the only true statement in your post was that you are definitely not versed in any of this.

Tesla was a genius. The people who've made a cult figure out of him are morons and lunatics who don't know the difference between work and power.

Maybe we need a separate forum for make-believe. It could be called the "WHAT IF CHEESE COULD FLY?" forum. People could speculate about solving the world's problems by electing Bilbo Baggins president or sending all the earth's pollution into a wormhole.