1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Is someone trying to hijack priuschat.com?

Discussion in 'PriusChat Website Questions' started by paulccullen, Apr 11, 2007.

1. paulccullen

paulccullen New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Hi moderators, you may want to investigate...

I can't get to PruisChat. Going to http://www.priuschat.com/ from any computer here at home (my ISP is Comcast) gives me:

This domain has just been registered for one of our customers!
    Domain registration and webhosting at best prices.

My bookmarks to pages within PriusChat are giving me 404 Not Found errors. I can get to all other web sites I've tried.

When I "remote desktop" into my computer at work I *can* get to PriusChat. (that's what I'm using now). But all of my machines at home get the above message.

Is this some kind of weired DNS snafu, or do you think it's something more nefarious?

(I guess if this is happening to other Comcast subscribers you probably won't hear about it until they can get through)

Curious in Seattle.

2. MegansPrius

MegansPrius GoogleMeister, AKA bongokitty

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(paulccullen @ Apr 11 2007, 08:51 PM) [snapback]421941[/snapback]</div>
    This was happening to me this morning on a university network connection, so it's not Comcast specific.

3. paulccullen

paulccullen New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Thursday morning. It's working now. Weird!

4. TheForce

TheForce Stop War! Lets Rave! Make Love!

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    It kinda looked like Danny switched providers. If so it may take a while for the DNS changes to propagate throughout all the ISPs DNS servers. If this is what happened every thing should clear up in a few days.

5. Chuck.

Chuck. Former Honda Enzyte Driver

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Twice on GreenHybrid I've said PC is alive and well.

6. Danny

Danny Admin/Founder
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Yeah, I made a DNS change last night so that I could add SSL to the PC Shop, and the DNS settings are taking longer to propagate for some ISPs than others. I still can't get on at home, but I can from work.

Sorry about the inconvenience, but please spread the word around. PC is fine and should be fully function for everyone soon!

7. EricGo

EricGo New Member

I have periodic problems accessing PC, but have learned from experience to just be patient. Usually things clear up in an hour or two, occasionally it takes a day.

I admit it can be hard on my addiction, but what can I do ?

GO Danny !

8. Ichabod

Ichabod Artist In Residence

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Yeah I saw the same thing, but have learned patience here as well. I do need my fix though, so I'm glad to see it was nothing serious :)

Thanks Danny.

9. TheForce

TheForce Stop War! Lets Rave! Make Love!

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    My ISP ( Road Runner ) still has not updated their DNS. :angry: For a quick work around you can use OpenDNS. Info on how to set it up is at http://www.opendns.com

OpenDNS seems to be pretty quick on updating their DNS servers. :)

10. acdii

acdii Active Member

Would that also be related to the SQL errors I had the other day? Too many connections errors.

11. paulccullen

paulccullen New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(ACD @ Apr 12 2007, 04:10 PM) [snapback]422226[/snapback]</div>
    I was getting different SQL errors today too. I guessed Danny was still working on it. (Trying to maintain a system that's ostensibly available 24/7 has gotta be tricky)

BTW: This is weird (just a result of the DNS change, I guess). I can HTTP to priuschat.com and get in OK. I can PING priuschat.com. But if I HTTP with the IP address from the PING I get that "This domain has just been registered for one of our customers!" message. It's as if PING and HTTP are using different DNS servers, at least for me.

http://priuschat.com --> The normal PriusChat site
    ping priuschat.com --> 217.160.244.70
    http://217.160.244.70 --> "This domain has just been registered..."

* The less you know... :huh:

12. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(theforce @ Apr 12 2007, 06:23 PM) [snapback]422206[/snapback]</div>
    I am still getting SQL errors today, even after the IP switch. The DNS and SQL problems are not directly related, but if Danny moved to a server with more SQL horsepower, then it will help.

Tom

13. tnthub

tnthub Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Comcast has had DNS issues.

Comcast changed their DNS servers in my area and didn't notify anyone. The new numbers they gave me are 207.5.171.1 and 207.5.144.254 so if anyone has the old numbers... (207.5.128.9 and 207.5.128.10) you should change them to the new ones.

14. tripp

tripp Which it's a 'ybrid, ain't it?

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    I've typically gotten "too many connections" sort of SQL errors. The board software uses PHP persistent connections which can be problematic if the code is written poorly. If PC runs on a dedicated SQL box it should be fine. If it's shared then another site that uses pconnect badly could hose up all the sites that point to that particular MySQL server. Generally though, the site's pretty stable.

15. fshagan

fshagan Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Occasionally, an ISP will have more than one DNS cache, so you can sometimes get differing results.

Windows XP also "stupidly" caches DNS information; it is supposed to only cache negative DNS info for 5 minutes and positive info for 24 hours, but I have had many clients where the DNS info is cached much longer. And in this case, the stored DNS info for www.priuschat.com isn't a negative entry ... its the landing page we were seeing, so some people may have problems for quite a while!

If you know anyone who still cannot connect with PC, have them flush the local DNS cache by using Start * Run, then type IPCONFIG /FLUSHDNS in the box and press "OK". For the brave of heart, there are instructions on a registry tweak to not store negative entries and another one to cause the DNS info stored locally to be refreshed every 4 hours, matching what most ISPs now use, at http://www.updatexp.com/dns-windows-xp.html

16. acdii

acdii Active Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(paulccullen @ Apr 12 2007, 06:41 PM) [snapback]422249[/snapback]</div>

Some servers, like one that I built and use for company based systems use what is called host based access that uses a single IP address for several different sites, it looks at the whole name and directs the traffic to the folder that is bound to that name. If I just put the IP in I will get the same error, but the full name takes me right to my site. I have 10 different web interfaces on one server using a single IP address.