1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Is Squid ink vegetarian?

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by jmann, Oct 14, 2007.

1. jmann

jmann Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I've got a simple question I cannot seem to find a real answer to:

Is Squid ink vegetarian? (assuming that the ink sacks are not in the food)

I was shopping and came across fresh squid ink pasta. I am having a hard time finding the details of how squid ink is made in the ink sacks. But, I am assuming that squid ink should be no less vegetarian than animal rennet, right?

2. Sufferin' Prius Envy

Sufferin' Prius Envy Platinum Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    I thought Squid ink was caustic to liberals. :lol:

[Oh, you're not talking about that Squid. - Never mind. ;) ]

3. TonyPSchaefer

TonyPSchaefer Your Friendly Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    I am not vegetarian nor vegan, but I would put squid ink in the same category as cow's milk.
    So to me, if a vegetarian drinks cow's milk, squid ink would be fine.

To me, though, if the animal is not harmed, I don't have a problem with it. That's right: I eat meat anyway.

4. Tchou

Tchou Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(TonyPSchaefer @ Oct 14 2007, 09:57 PM) [snapback]525495[/snapback]</div>
    I think it is not harmed, just killed...

5. TonyPSchaefer

TonyPSchaefer Your Friendly Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Tchou @ Oct 14 2007, 03:11 PM) [snapback]525502[/snapback]</div>
    Well that seems a little "golden egg" to me. You mean they can't "milk" the squid or use other tactics that do not harm the squid?

On the other hand, if they are making calamari anyway, then I guess I don't mind as much. :D

6. daniel

daniel Cat Lovers Against the Bomb

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(jmann @ Oct 14 2007, 12:15 PM) [snapback]525488[/snapback]</div>
    There is no simple answer, because there are different motivations for vegetarianism, and therefore different criteria.

Being an animal product it would definitely not be vegan.

An ethical vegetarian would not eat it if the squid is killed to get the ink, as I presume is probably done. I've never heard of squid-ink farms where the ink would be "milked" without harming the squid. (Most ethical vegetarians would not eat rennet either, for the same reason. The argument that they were going to kill the animal anyway is fallacious, because any slaughterhouse product you buy adds value and incentive to the slaughterhouse operation.)

On the other hand, some people call themselves vegetarians and yet eat any animal product other than flesh.

If you are asking the question from an academic standpoint, the answer is: It depends on the vegetarian. If you are asking it so you can decide if you will eat squid ink yourself, you'll just have to make up your own mind. And if you are asking because you are going to fix a meal for a vegetarian, you'd better ask that person.

When I was a strict ovo-lacto-vegetarian I would not have eaten squid ink. Now that I eat seafood I would, except that it actually sounds like it would probably taste awful.

7. The Tramp

The Tramp Italian Prius Expert

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius PHV
    Model:
    N/A
    Squid's ink comes from an internal organ, therefore the squid has to de killed to get at it.

While I met vegeterians that had no problems in eatibg fish, if I was a Vegeterian squid's ink is off.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(daniel @ Oct 15 2007, 12:55 AM) [snapback]525551[/snapback]</div>
    Squid's ink is simply salty, with a slight taste of squid. We use it to give "colour" to the fish based food like risotto but the quantities used are minimal: 1 gram is good for a 4-party fish risotto.

8. jmann

jmann Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    OK. I think I am ruling it vegetarian because It contains no animal cells. However, this still puts it in the same category as rennet so others with more restrictive variations of the vegetarian diet may not eat it.

The squid is killed to get the ink out of the ink sack.

9. hycamguy07

hycamguy07 New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Hmm, I just cant get past the idea of a squid spurting its ink out and eating it.......

10. Alysse

Alysse New Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius c
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Squid ink involves killing (rather than milking re: analogy to cow's milk) and removing the ink sack. So definitely not vegetarian or vegan. And may I say...ewwwww! Watch sci-fi film, Arrival, and maybe leave squid ink for the squids?