1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Is the air conditioner compresor on when the heater is on?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by prius04, Oct 10, 2004.

1. prius04

prius04 New Member

Toyota calls our heating and cooling system the Air Conditioner. I guess this is OK because it does in fact condition the air.

But traditionally, an Air Conditioner both cooled the air and removed the water from the air. But in the winter, the air is already very dry so I do hope that when our air conditoner is heating the car, it is not also wasting energy removing the little amount of water that is in winter air. It would do this by turning on the refrigerant compressor.

Now there are times when using the traditional air conditioner in the winter is wise. This is when you're driving in sleet and rain and you start getting condensation on the INSIDE of your windows. But when you use the air conditioner at that time, you are only supposed to keep the air conditioner on for a short period otherwise it can "freeze up" and damage the compressor.

So how does the Prius work this out? My guess is that one of the computers in the winter senses the water in the air inside the car and might turn the air conditioner compressor on briefly, but only briefly.

Does anyone know how it works?

2. john1701a

john1701a Prius Guru

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Re: Is the air conditioner on when the heater is on?

> But traditionally

That's a matter of perspective. Step back years earlier. The original definition matches what Toyota uses now.

> how does the Prius work this out?

First, note that you can have air blowing on the windows to clear them without the need to use the defroster. This is a little known efficiency benefit for those not acquainted with the HSD Prius. And it works surprisingly well.

Second, it takes very little to create cold air in the winter. So that compressor doesn't have to work much at all to remove humidity.

Third, the steering-wheel button makes flipping the defroster on for just a moment a snap.

My question to you is what kind of vehicle do you used to own and where do you live? Never have I ever had the need to turn on the A/C during the dead of winter. The ordinary defroster has worked just fine here in Minnesota. In fact, one time I was dumb enough to find out just how hot I could get the interior of my Dodge Omni. When it reached a 90 F degree difference, I decided to abort. It was hot enough to vaporize any humidity, removal wasn't even neccesary.

I suspect short-trips work differently. I try to avoid those, especially in the winter.

3. prius04

prius04 New Member

I live in Rhode Island. It is absolutely true that the defroster will clear any humidity that condenses on the windows in the winter. But flipping on the air conditioner, even at 33 degrees F outside, will clear that windshield almost instantly.

(The circumstance might be when you stop to pick someone up when it's raining sleet and they enter your car covered with moisture. You might find a sudden condensation on the windshield that well take about 30 seconds to clear with the defrost. Hit the AC button and you can turn 30 secs into 0.3 secs. But you must remember to shut off the AC very soon or you can cause things under the hood to freeze up.)

And I'm not sure an air conditioner compressor uses less energy in Winter. The compressor works to compress Freon*. It compresses the Freon until it reaches a certain pressure, not a certain temperature. Home air conditioners have humidistats, but in most cars, the human is the humidistat. If it's too warm you turn it up, if your too cold, you turn it down. But that compressor will use the same energy regardless of the temperature of the air.

(*Yes, I know they don't use Freon any more. But using this word was easier.)

4. DaveinOlyWA

DaveinOlyWA 3rd Time was Solariffic!!

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    umm your statement that winter air is "already dry" is a bit presumptious.

all air when heated will have their moisture content reduced by increased rate of evaporation. to add moisture when heating would just fog up the inside of your windows.

i for one, (living in the pacific northwest) welcome the reduced humidity that heated air provides. and yes the Prius will expend some energy to heat up that air. but that is the way it works.

also air conditioning doesnt actively remove moisture from the air. as the temperature of air is reduced, its ability to hold moisture is also reduced causing condesation on the coils of your conditioning unit. minimal cooling (and i would assume this to be true in the winter) would result in minimal reduction in moisture content.

5. prius04

prius04 New Member

Prior to the invention of the air conditioner, rich people used fans blowing over ice to cool themselves. It really did not work well because cooling air off without taking the water out of it was not that refreshing. Plus, the condensation was horrible.

My point here is that taking water out of the air is not incidental to how an air conditioner works, IT'S CENTRAL to how an air conditioner works.

Indeed, an air dehumidifier can make a room very comfortable without even lowering the temperature in the room. Have you ever heard of the expression "It's not the heat, it's the humidity"?

I for one doubt very much that the Prius air compressor is going all winter. I just want to know how it does it.

The laws of physics control how much water air can hold. Warm air can hold tons more water than cold air can. When you heat a house in winter, you are not lowering the amount of water in the room. You are increasing the amount of water the warm air can hold without you being able to notice it. Indeed, dry warm air acts as a sponge and that is why houses tend to dry out in the winter.

All houses leak air and over time the warm air that leaks out takes with it water that gets replaced by cold air that leaks in that is much dryer. As that colder air gets warmed, it pulls water out of the structure of your home. And it does this all winter.

In the summer, I make sure to use the bathroom fan when I shower so as to keep the bathroom mirrors clear and keep mold down. In the winter, I don't use the fan yet the bathroom mirrors are usually still pretty clear and there is never a mold problem. It's all in the physics of humidity and temperature.

So I think my original question is wrong on this thread. What I'm really saying is that I doubt that the air conditioner compressor is on all winter when the heater is on. And I'm quite sure it can't be on al winter because air conditioner compressors use a lot of energy, and they use that energy regardless of the outside temperature.

I suspect that maybe there is a temperature/humidistat in the Prius that just might turn the AC compressor on for brief periods to do a spot cleaning of any condensation that might occur. But it shuts off after only a minute or so to save energy and prevent the compressor from freezing up. But I don't know.

6. DaveinOlyWA

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    the compressor does not run all the time even in the summer.

7. prius04

prius04 New Member

Sorry, I overstated.

I do realize that the compressor does not run in any car ALL the time even on a hot summer day with the AC turned all the way up. But if the AC is turned on, the compressor comes on when the freon pressure goes down, and goes off when it reaches it's appropriate pressure. So if the AC is turned on, the compressor is on MOST OF THE TIME.

And I would say that if the AC is turned on in a regular car in the winter, then the compressor would also be on most of the time in the winter. Again, the AC in most cars does not have a humidistat or thermometer to self regulate it's output. The human in the car is the humidistat/thermometer turning it up or down according to their comfort. So just because it's cold out, it would not lower the work of the AC.

But I'm assuming that the compressor in the Prius is OFF nearly 100% of the time when the heater is on. I'm just curious how it does it.

I remember years ago when AC first came out. The compressors were set up to run whenever the car was running, even when the AC was shut off. Thus people with AC took a hit on their gas mileage even in the winter. It was a few years later that an AC clutch was invented to remove the load on the compressor when the AC was off. Thus, the belt would still go to the compressor, but the pulley would run freely and not have any load to it. The clutch improved both MPG and added years to the life of the compressors.

8. DaveinOlyWA

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    the air conditioning is thermostatically controlled. and the compressor does cycle on and off according to the demand for cooling in the Prius.

now it is my understanding that the duty cycle of the compressor when the air conditioning is running full blast is less than 50%. this is done to prevent the coils from freezing up... for a better illustration, take a look at the duty cycle of frost free freezers that also only run at 50% and then "idle mode 20% and defrost 30%.

9. prius04

prius04 New Member

So are you saying that the AC compressor in the Prius is compressing the refigerant about 20% to 50% of the time in the winter?

10. DaveinOlyWA

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
  11. prius04

prius04 New Member

Does the compresor come on at all in the winter?

12. DaveinOlyWA

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    not very likely... as i said, the air conditioning is controlled by the thermostat.

check it out one day on a semi warm or cool day. set the temp to something like 75º or something. you will notice although the fan speed is steady, the air will cycle from very cool to luke warm. that is from a low demand for cooling. if the demand is low enough, eventually the cooling coils will be warm and not condition the air at all. it is just that a car retains heat so poorly that it doesnt remain at anything resembling cool most of the time if there is any sun out.

you realize it only takes less than a minute to cool the coils off to the point that they will instantly form ice on the coils. to prevent ice build up, the compressor cycles to allow ice to melt off and drip away.

if you remember the old window mount air conditioners always dripped water outside. that is the result of the coils defrosting. this is also why air is conditioned. it is the instantaneous freezing of the moisture in the air passing through the coils.

to prevent buildup, the compressor cycles on a predetermined schedule that pays no heed to cooling demand of the air conditioning system. this prevents excessive buildup that will kill the cooling capacity of the system since ice is only 32º and the coiling coils are much much lower than that...(usually in the range of -40º F)

13. bruceha_2000

bruceha_2000 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Re: Is the air conditioner compresor on when the heater is o

I don't believe this is a correct statement. My wife's Subaru (and other cars) turn the A/C on anytime you have the system set to defrost. I suppose they could have some special system to make sure no bad things happen.

14. prius04

prius04 New Member

I have a Subaru Impreza and it gives instructions on using the air conditioner for short bursts to defrost the windshield. But it advises to shut it off soon. It does not warn about damage to the compressor though so maybe the damage to the compressor is old information on my part.

It's done manually by the operator. I suspect that more expensive cars would do it by themselves, but only briefly as there is no need for it beyond the initial burst. The heat alone from the defrost should do an adequate job once it gets going. Of course, it's also quite possible that more expensive cars have AC systems with a humidistat that would cycle on at times when the defrost is on to very quickly clean the windshield.

I've yet to drive my Prius in cold weather. I just got it last August but my daughter got hers last February. She told me once about the super rapid windshield defrost.

Since the Prius is in many ways a " VERY" special car, I suspect that that is exactly what it does. And in order to save energy, the compressor cycles off on it's own.

15. DaveinOlyWA

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    because the Prius is controlled by the thermostat, what ever needs to be running is running. if heat is needed, then heat you will get. if cool is what you need, then cool is what you will get.

worrying about wasting energy using the air conditioning in the winter time is something you really shouldnt be concerned with.

i guess we are all guilty of assuming that air conditioning only cools... but ones that heat are fairly common in central climate control systems that have been in houses for years. now does that mean one machine does both?? nope... cant be done. but it does mean that one button, or one switch or whatever controls both by endevouring to maintain the temperature you set. i simply is more efficient and cheaper to combine the two systems.

i had a car where the air conditioning would have run like you describe... cooling off the coils even if the temperature was 40 below outside. those didnt have a thermostat. they only knew two things, that was on and off. the rate of cooling was controlled by the fan speed. whats worse, the air conditioning button was right next to the power button for the radio... cant tell you how many times i turned the d**n thing on by mistake.

thankfully, we dont have to deal with that kind of stuff anymore.

16. bruceha_2000

bruceha_2000 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Just for comparison, my wife's car is a '97 Subaru Legacy L wagon. Nothing fancy, 1 step up from bare bones.

17. prius04

prius04 New Member

To bruceha_2000
    But the legacy is also one step up from the Impreza. So compared to my Subaru, you had the expensive version.

And to DaveinOlyWA
    Thanks for the word that the compressor is not on for much of the winter. I figured it had to be off as it's so energy intensive.

But I think it's also important to realize that air conditioners don't only produce cold air. They also remove water from the air. And I think this is the bigger comfort service that AC provides to us. But when the AC heats, there is no need to remove water from the air. So there is no need for the compressor to squeeze the refrigerant in the system.

18. naterprius

naterprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid

For long A/C sytem life and to prevent leaks, run the A/C at least once a month including the winter. This rule is true for all cars. The description below only applies to expansion valve/ receiver systems that have cycling compressors. (Almost all foreign cars). Cars that have Fixed Orifice/ Accumulator/ Constant running compressors have similar issues but the rule still applies (almost all american cars).

The system is full of refrigerant, oil, and unfortunately, air, water, and impurities. The air won't cause a problem if it is dry and there is not much in there (like a properly charged system). Same with the water. However, the water tends to condense inside the lines and corrode the seals in the compressor and otherwise (again, there is not much water, but it IS in there). The Receiver/Dryer contains a dessicant material that will absorb the water, and the oil will lubricate the seals at all joints in the system and in the compressor, at the compressor shaft seal, and will flush physical impurities out of the Thermostatic Expansion Valve (TXV) and into the Receiver/ Dryer. A properly charged and running A/C system (even while the compressor is cycling) has the Receiver/Dryer full of liquid. At the bottom of the Receiver/Dryer (it's a cylinder, mounted vertically) are all the nasties, like water and impurities. They only stay there if the system is running! Otherwise, as the pressures even out (in a system that hasn't been used for a while) everything gets everywhere, except the oil, which you want everywhere, it tends to pool, and the seals dry out and are free to be attacked by the air and water.

If you run your A/C once a month, every month, including winter, you will likely NEVER have a problem with your A/C, it will probably NEVER need service of any kind.

Nate

19. naterprius

naterprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid

When I lived in Michigan without a garage, my defroster worked much, much better with the A/C on. Why? There was always humidity that could be removed, it got in the car via my snow on my boots if not the intake grill under the windshield wipers. The A/C system generated a lot of heat, so it caused the car to warm up about twice as fast.

The strange thing about living in Grand Rapids is that nobody lived far from work. We spent a significant portion of our gasoline warming up the car. Perhaps we couldn't tolerate the 30 minute commute becoming 2 1/2 hours in bad weather, plus 20 minutes for warmup and scraping.

Nate

20. Batavier

Batavier Member

The Prius aircon uses CO2 as refrigerant. Check out the Denso Site. :D