1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Is the average prius driver smarter than the average American ?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by biggus, Jun 11, 2008.

1. biggus

biggus Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    My respect for Americans has shot up since joining Priuschat.

2. freshmtt

freshmtt Dachshund Addict

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Why Thank You Biggus,, I will have to give some credit to my smartness to the Irish:D:D,,, experiencing what I did in Ireland this past March really pushed me towards the Hybrid.

3. Ichiro

Ichiro Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    No, but they are considerably more smug and self-righteous

4. MagneticGrayIndy

MagneticGrayIndy 06Prius;94M Miata;65Rambler770

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    lol... wow. I'm not sure I even SHOULD respond to this one but ok, here goes. Often, when I'm out of the country or talking to a foreigner here.. they are suprised if I speak their/another language, show any knowledge of history or state that I don't like our current politics in any way.

Americans get a bad rap, and by looking at our pop culture, it's pretty easy to see why. The fact that we CHOOSE to buy and drive so many enormous SUV's astounds the populace of other countries for example. But hey.. even I am sometimes amazed at how many intelligent, independent and cultured Americans there really are! Pretty much all the friends I've chose to surround myself are this way.

America and Americans have some amazing attributes! They just sometimes get lost under the wheels of a Ford Expedition or hidden behind the headlines of another Britney/Lindsey/Paris nightmare!

5. jammin012

jammin012 The man behind The Man

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    We talked about this at work today, not really who's smarter but killing all the stupid people.

Depends on what the standard of smartness is, what the standard for average is and who's going to get to judge. My brother couldn't change the oil in his car but give him a couple chemicals and a test tube and he can do about anything.

When the time came he could probably take the oil and reconstitute it and make it even better than before, but it's physically getting the oil out of the motor that he has a problem with. Monkey and a football comes to mind. Pretty funny to watch.... if it's not your car.

6. biggus

biggus Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    If the Gas price changes your driving habits so much, just wait till you see how people start to look at long commutes and sprawling communities. In europe we tended to squash things together and around old settlements sometimes because of Geography.
    Hi Gas prices may change the whole way of current American life. Here in europe we have had high fuel prices for years because of taxation. This has influenced where we live ,what we drive ,how we spend our free time ,where we go to college etc etc.
    If you've sold your SUV well done but be ready for more radical changes to come in everything you do including where you live and what you work at.
    Personally i think Oil price will fall , but roll out the new way of thinking USA.

Well done to all at prius chat and i love the humour too !

7. Froley1

Froley1 New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    I think our society has never been what might be called intelligent
    we've had always had really smart, creative people within it who have done great things but---my personal belief is that overall the true thinking power of our society dial is set right about the Homer Simpson level.

Individuals who purchased a Prius prior to the recent gasoline unpleasantness display one of the fundamental signs of intelligence
    action based on mental projection of the future events.
    just my thoughts
    Froley

8. chogan2

chogan2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    LE
    Is the average Prius driver smarter than the average American? Without a doubt. And you get a smarter-than-average Prius driver writing here in Priuschat.

There are shreds of evidence to support that first statement, including systematic surveys of US drivers and ad-hoc marketing surveys. Historically, Prius drivers tended to be smarter and wealthier and older than the US average.

With regard to the postings here, it's a matter of self-selection/crowd behavior or what economists call Tiebout goods, which might be termed "birds of a feather flock together" by others. My observation is that there are enough smart correspondents here that the dummies/flamers don't get any traction (plus the moderators have good judgment). So the community as a whole tends to repel the ignorant. What a plus. Really, some sociologists ought to be studying us.

Couldn't agree more on your comment on our way of life. As was also stated in the NY Times by my favorite (favourite?) economist, Paul Krugman.

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/05/19/opinion/19krugman.html?_r=1&oref=slogin

Now, if you want to see the toxic interchange between the US housing bubble and the new energy reality, I suggest you take a glance at the this site, and check out the "Top Discounts" column, with the 70+% housing price declines on selected properties on Manassas and other exurb Washington DC communities. (That has relevance to me as I grew up I in Manassas).

Northern Virginia Housing Bubble Fallout

And as well-documented here and elsewhere, surprise surprise, nobody wants low-mpg vehicles either. Prices for low-efficiency used vehicles have plunged. So exurb housing and inefficient commuters cars are both going for large discounts relative to historical prices. And that's a good thing, shows that the market is working.

The only surprise is the extent to which the prices have changed on those long-lived (capital) goods. People may talk about the "invisible hand" of economics, gently guiding resources toward their most productive use through the use of incentives. But I also think of the "invisible foot" of economics, kicking the stupidest consumers in the behind for their bad decisions, and making them change through sheer economic pain. The price changes at issue have been brutal. So, at the moment, due to the sharp runup in oil and gasoline prices, I'd say we're more in the "invisible foot" regime right now.

And, well, shooting yourself in the foot is supposed to hurt, that's how the dumb ones figure out not to do that.

So, as an economist, this has all the earmarks of having gone through a true bubble, into a real (forgive the phrase) paradigm shift. You absolutely would not believe the size and vulgarity of the average house built in Northern Virginia (Washington suburbs) in the last three years. What an incredible mis-allocation of real capital -- with 20-20 hindsight. We are in no way set up for Europeanization. Nobody here has the slightest clue what's going to happen next. But we have to have faith the even the dumbest of us will eventually sort things out.

9. Danny

Danny Admin/Founder
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
  10. pardreamer

pardreamer Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
  11. NorCal Rusty

NorCal Rusty RatherBWakeboarding

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius

UHHHMMMM BEEEERRRR!

12. jammin012

jammin012 The man behind The Man

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    I think I'm starting to take offense to that.

I had to complete an ethics survey today, yes I lied my way through it, and the ethnicity question popped up.
    Do you consider yourself:
    African American
    Asian
    Spanish
    Native Anerican
    Native Hawaiin
    White/Caucasian
    Other

Why can't I be European, how come I have to be a color?

13. ZC1

ZC1 Junior Prius Owner

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    And my respect for the Irish has shot up since they provide the Guinness.

ZC1

14. biggus

biggus Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Shucks ZC 1 Just you blew my debate ;surely you meant "Guinness"

Great Reply Chogan 2; you get the real nuance of this thread.
    Dearer energy = Massive change.

The first to go was the SUV

Next the House; is it efficient, too big or located where it needs air-con 24/7

Then Work; why am i travelling so far or will this job be here if things keep going the way they seem to be.

Leisure ;should i go cycling or trekking instead of puttting $500 of fuel in my Powerboat ?

Contributers here seem to have the ingenuity ,social awareness and will to change, to meet the challenge of realistically priced Oil, but where does that leave the average Doh!

15. MsDaisy

MsDaisy Goddess of Green-land

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Smarter? Don't know about that, but we are definitely better-looking and much happier people!

16. finman

finman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Nissan LEAF
    Can we accept 'different' (less is more), as "better"? I'm not sure i can vocalize my comments here. What I mean is...how many will give up their over-consumption way of life to live a more efficient life for the betterment of all?

Way too many 'homer simpsons' will wail and complain the entire way. And I love the Simpsons!

and I'm not sure how to voice this opinion either, but, what becomes of all things gasoline that we think are "fun" (power boats, stupid ATVs and jetskis, the list gets pretty long)? Do new industries using battery tech replace them? How? In a timeframe that allows smooth, fairly unnoticed progress?

I've too many questions right now and maybe someone else can chime in and clarify my points...

17. GatorJZ

GatorJZ Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    More intelligent (as measured by conventional means) and educated? Yes. More automotive savvy? No.

18. bac

bac Active Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Yes.

... Brad

19. biggus

biggus Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    GatorJZ says "More automotive savvy?No"

I've raced, rallied, restored , and being lucky to own or have the use of V12's V8's V6,s ,straight 6's,Twin Cams, Quad cams, Turbo's ,supercharged, petrol, diesel, convertables, coupes ,pagodas.
    Perhaps i'm not auto savvy, but NOW, I'd much prefer to entertain myself getting the last mile out of a drop of gas than walk.

There are a number of Prius drivers here who went from 350z's Subaru WRX's and the like, but who think the same.
    I'll still keep my toys but when travelling any long distance, It's the Prius for me. Keeping momentum anticipating the terrain and traffic while being entertained by the Prius Graphics has replaced the Laser speed detector and watching out for the speed cops. My Wife is happier too.

Its interesting to see how some part time prius drivers are using techniques learnt from the Prius to get more MPG out of there Suv's etc.

The new automotive savvy is low cost, low depreciation,low enviromental impact,low risk, high prestige.

Perhaps look at it as a return to the roots, when motoring meant getting somehere quickly and in comfort, without having to walk or feed the horses.

20. sendconroymail

sendconroymail One Mean SOB

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    No no no. We are definitely smarter, funnier, better looking, and kinder than the general population. The moderators should charge none Prius drivers for being able to post and correspond with us.