1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Is the built in Nav software retarded or something?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by SiliconAddict, Nov 11, 2007.

1. SiliconAddict

SiliconAddict New Member

OK can someone tell me if I'm just doing something wrong with the Nav software or is this thing simply retarded or poorly programmed. I live in the Minneapolis Twin Cities area and do a ton of driving each day all around the metro area. With the "departure" of the 35W bridge I've dropped a nice big square over the bridge in the Areas to Avoid section in memory. You would think that it would avoid this area but I would say that it does this in about 60% of the time, at best. As much as I would love to take a nice cool dip in the Mississippi I don't think I'm going to follow Mr GPS's suggested route. :p
    This Thursday I'm driving to Chicago via I-90. I know there is going to be major construction going on near my destination so I drop not 1, not 2, but 3 points along areas to avoid that SHOULD force the software to hop off the interstate and use a local road...but does it...nope. It barrels through each point as if its not even there. :angry:
    Are there any "tricks" to getting the software to actually follow your instructions. Because at this point the only thing I'm going to do is put a waypoint at the turnoff on the highway and hope that the thing is smart enough to stay on the side road the rest of the way. I don't really know the area there, and while I could start to pay attention when I get into the area and simply turn off when I get to the ramp after the amount I dropped on this feature it should work better then this. :(

2. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Did you check the alternate routes? (i.e. Quick 2 and Short)?

3. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    It does have its limitations, and is certainly not the smartest GPS I've ever used. I have had good luck with adding additional destinations and chaining them together. For example, to force your route off of the highway and around the construction, try making two new destinations: one at the off exit, and one where you want to get back on. Chain these together so that it first guides you to the off exit, then the on exit, and then to your final destination. It's a pain, but it will work.

Tom

4. Orf

Orf New Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    The Aussie Prius has a detour feature where you can select a detour of so many km. I have never used it but it may be worth a try if your Prius does have this feature.

5. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Orf @ Nov 12 2007, 11:26 PM) [snapback]538688[/snapback]</div>
    I've tried it; it kept trying to send me back to the main road, even though it made way more sense to cut across to another highway. It's a pretty simple minded detour feature.

Tom