1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Is the computer really that innacurate?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Fuel Economy' started by Wolfman, Dec 7, 2003.

1. Wolfman

Wolfman New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    OK, on the way home from work the other day, the car audibly announced its need for a refuel. Throughout the entire tank of fuel, the computer consistently stayed above the 50mpg mark, and I as truly expecting to hit 500 miles on the tank of fuel before the warning hit. I received the warning at approximately 470 miles.

I'm finally getting used to the filling process, and I filled it right up to the bottom of the filler neck, just like the previous tank. The weather temperatures were similar for both fillups as well, so the bladder should have been able to accept the same quantity of fuel.

The final total was 10.5 gallons @ 481 miles. The calculator came up with 45.8 mpg, with the computer proudly announcing 50.2.

Needless to say, I'm rather surprised at the wide variance between the two figures.

2. tag

tag Senior Member

Well, Wolfman, that looks like about a 10% difference, more or less. Oddly enough, that's just about the differential between the mpg I calculated on my Navigator and what the computer on the vehicle is telling me. I'm actually getting 10-11 mpg while the computer insists that it's more like 12. Of course, with those kind of numbers, I suppose it doesn't really matter a whole hell of a lot.

3. Wolfman

Wolfman New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I do not know. It seems to me that with these computers knowing exactly how much fuel was injected into each cylinder, as well as exactly how much distance was covered, that the discrepancy would be next to nil.

4. tag

tag Senior Member

Wasn't aware they worked that way.

I thought (erroneously, I guess) that the computer somehow used the gas gauge and odometer....sort of using the amount of gas it "thinks" has been used and then dividing the miles travelled. :? :?

5. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Wow, I'm amazed folks are at all worried about a couple MPGs difference. I find it amazing that they can get the calculations so close. The number of variables involved in calculating the MPG must be huge.

It's not a simple matter of the dividing distance by amount of fuel injected into the cylinders. You have to account for the efficiency of the engine in utilizing that fuel--that varies at different RPMs and engine tempertures. Plus some of that energy is immediately converted into heat and lost forever, some is converted to electricity for storage and some is immediately used to propel the vehicle, some is then used from the battery in addition to the ICE power, and there are losses in the transfer of energy from ICE to battery and back to the wheels.

I've only been off by 1-3 MPG on my calculated and measured economy each of my 5 tanks so far and overall they're almost dead on. I find that simply amazing and give huge credit to the folks who figured out how to do that.
    --evan

6. FredWB

FredWB New Member

I'd be really surprised if the Prius has a flow meter. A precision flow meter would be very expensive and still would have some amount of error. If there is a flow meter it's probably not much better than +/- 10%. It's probably either using the sensors in the fuel tank to infer mpg or more likely some complex calculation based on an "average" engine performance map. It does know when the engine is running, at what RPM, throttle opening, etc and of course the miles driven. I'm surprised it does as good as it does at calculating mileage. On second though, maybe it does have a cheap flow meter after all. I think it's generally doing much better than 10% for most, probably more like 5%.

But if the computer does know how much fuel is injected into the cylinders (using a flow meter) it is as simple as dividing that into the miles driven during the time that injected fuel was consumed. None of the RPM data, efficiency data, what gets converted to electricity, what goes to the electric motor, etc is really needed for this simple mpg calculation.

7. Wolfman

Wolfman New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    The ECM for all modern engines dictates how much fuel is to be injected according to speed and throttle position. The quantites are strictly monitored and controlled to keep vehicles running in their optimum efficiency for their given RPM. The capacity to determine fuel economy is pretty much built in without the need for a flow meter, as would be needed in a carbeurated engine.

I want to think that the designers of the various computer systems would've used this readily available information when putting the mpg program into the systems.

Efusco, it's not so much a matter of being worried about the difference, it's just that the difference was much larger than I expected.

8. FredWB

FredWB New Member

Good point Wolfman. In that case 10% does appear to be a big difference. Do you think certain types of driving might affect it more? Many posts I've seen state that it's been conservative by maybe 2 mpg or so. I know I'm wondering about if I should top off and if I do I have to be consistant with it. Some say it will take a gallon or so consistantly but I'm sure that is temperature dependent. Maybe we should start a poll about the difference between the predicted and actual to see how bad it can get?

9. Wolfman

Wolfman New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I don't know, but I wouldn't think so. Harder driving means a more wide open throttle at any given point. This would of course be picked up by the TPS, and translate into the drivers request for more fuel to be injected to provide additional power. The ECM would then agree to inject more fuel - again and exact quantity that would be determened based on the array of sensors on the engine. The result should still be a highly accurate meter of fuel consumed - just like when we step deeper into the throttles of our cars and watch the instananeous fuel economy bar drop down low on the graph.

A poll would be interesting, but I think that we would need a higher membership on this site for one to be truly informative.

10. FredWB

FredWB New Member

Maybe in time the membership will increase. I like the fomat a lot better than over at yahoo. And you can't post pics over there because they have so many already. And by then they'll be more Priius owners too. I just decided to start posting here to help get things going instead of just reading posts. The RX-8 has a site similar to this one and it's very very active.

11. ses

ses New Member

i think i will accept a 10% margin

there is no way to monitor the exact octane/purity or measurement of gas bought on the street. one "tank" of gas cannot be equal to another "tank" of gas, even if from the same station on the same day. there has got to be at least a slight difference between the top, middle and bottom of the stations storage tank. did the guy before you double trigger and drain the hose (that is isually good for a couple of ounces),.

there is no true way (outside of a controlled environment) to compare two tanks to the degree of many people/s comparisons. 5%-10% sounds good to me

just an opinion

sid

12. Wolfman

Wolfman New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I think the site will take off personally. I read several other forums like this one, and they are easy to read and track topics of interest. Yahoo is an unabashed joke to try to follow the threads. I refuse to sign up for that list. It's too maddening to follow topics there.

13. Danny

Danny Admin/Founder
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Post in the wrong thread, there, Wolfman?

14. Wolfman

Wolfman New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Nope, FredWB suggested a poll, and I stated that there wasn't enough traffic yet to support one. The last post was just my thoughts on the hoped future readership of your site.

15. Danny

Danny Admin/Founder
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Whoops, I should really read the whole thread before opening my big damned mouth :)

And it's not my site, its OUR site.

16. tag

tag Senior Member

Polls

Sensing the thread drift here re POLLS, I'll jump on the bandwagon.

Since, as Wolfman stated, there is not enough traffic here to support a poll at this point in time, it might be interesting to see what would happen if a member posting a poll on this board also posted a link in the Yahoo group to the poll.

If someone comes up with a decent poll (such as the one suggested by FredWB), I say post the poll here and then a link to the poll in the Yahoo group.

Just my .01653 Euros

17. Danny

Danny Admin/Founder
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Fred, you wanna post it and then we'll start spreading around the link to the various YG's?

18. Wolfman

Wolfman New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    OK, I'm game, I'll post the computer accuracy poll. Somebody else will need to link it as I don't have a Yahoo account.

Look for it under a new thread (since I hijacked my own here).

19. fran54

fran54 New Member

Just a thought on mpg -- I started logging the gallons bought, dollars paid, and miles driven from the first tank when I drove it off the lot on 10/27/03 with 4 miles on the odometer. I now have about 5600. My theory is the # of gallons I buy is known, and the # of miles I drive is known, and when I get it into a spreadsheet I'll have a very accurate calculation of lifetime mpg, regardless how full I get the tank on each fill up. I'm getting about 45 mpg, but I had the fun of seeing it average over 70 mpg on a downhill stretch in the Ozarks last Thanksgiving weekend. Ellen

20. bparrish

bparrish Junior Member

Odometer accuracy?

I don't know how much of a difference it makes, but the accuracy of the computer is at least based on the inputs, i.e. how accurately receives data on the amount of fuel and the mileage (which I assume (?) corresponds to the odometer. I know the mileage can very SOME based on tire inflation, but 10% seems like a lot.

It might be worth at least checking the accuracy of the odometer by driving, say 10 miles on the freeway and watching the little mileage signs to the right (at least we have these in CA) to see if some (most/all?) of the error may be due to that.