1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Is the CT200h hybrid system the same as the Prius?

Discussion in 'Lexus Hybrids and EVs' started by GrumpyCabbie, Jan 17, 2011.

1. GrumpyCabbie

GrumpyCabbie Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I know this has been discussed previously and I always assumed the ct200h and the Prius were the same hybrid system in different body shells (different suspension etc).

Just received a brochure (UK version) in the post today for the ct200h and I must say I do like it and it looks more 'polished' than the Prius and not too much more expensive either.

One thing that caught my attention was the sport mode which states the following; "...select SPORT and the CT200h immediately tunes throttle input for more direct acceleration and increases the electric power from 500 to 650 volts." Now there has been much discussion about whether Power mode in the Prius is just improved throttle response or an increase in power. Well, if the hybrid systems are the same, then according to the above it appears that the Prius pumps out more power in Power mode.

Is this correct? Surely someone somewhere will know if this is correct or whether the Lexus brochure is wrong. Be interesting to know that Power gives more kick as well as modified throttle response.

2. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    It'll be interesting, yes. The Prius is capable of 650V, we know that but whether it limits to 500V under normal usage, I'm not sure. The mechanical bits of the HSD are the same (there maybe some different package and stuff that Toyota has improved on). The SPORT mode really is a software thing, is it not?

3. GrumpyCabbie

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    But if they have changed things then they haven't changed them much (if at all) as the ct200h gets to within a couple mpg's of the Prius.

4. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    42 vs. 50 US mpg IIRC.

Toyota always continues to improve. Remember the two things they mentioned on the Prius v - a repackaged inverter and NiMH battery to save space. And the v uses the same HSD system as the Prius.

5. jhinsc

jhinsc Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Even though a Lexus dealer will deny it, yes, the CT200's hybrid system is the same as the Prius. Same total horsepower and even the same 0-60 mph specs. Not sure why it doesn't get the same mpg's but it is heavier and maybe not as aerodynamic.

6. usbseawolf2000

usbseawolf2000 HSD PhD

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    CT200h's Sport mode keeps the ICE at higher RPM for faster power response at the expense of lower MPG. It may also stay in 650V to boosts the electric motor power longer, also resulting in lower MPG. Without experiencing that Sport mode, I can't tell you if it is worth the trade off.

7. GrumpyCabbie

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    But is this the same as the 2010 Prius? Or has the software been changed on the ct200h? Does the 2010 Prius stay in 650v to boost also?

8. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    Premium
    The drag cd of the 200h is 0.28
    The drag cd of the Gen III is 0.25

that's likely the difference, along with weight (of the wallet, of the Lexus owner ;) )

9. Hugh

Hugh New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Also the CT200h does not have low friction tires. The Sport Mode not only provides better acceleration but adjusts the steering and puts some limits on the VSC to promote a sportier experience which really is nice.