1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Is The Future Corded?

Discussion in 'EV (Electric Vehicle) Discussion' started by The Electric Me, Feb 26, 2010.

1. The Electric Me

The Electric Me Go Speed Go!

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    First of all I don't know if I've chosen the right specific forum for this topic. However, what I've been thinking about is this.

With the Nissan Leaf-Full Electric, Chevy Volt and Plug in Prius on the horizon what is the future for hybrids as they exist today?

Oddly, I remember back to the earliest commercials Toyota ran for The Prius. They actually stressed that The Prius did NOT have to be plugged in. In the early days of marketing it seemed Toyota wanted people to understand that The Prius was not an automobile that had to be plugged in.

But it seems we have come full circle. With the next evolution being that we do get to plug in, either as a full electric vehicle, or a long range Hybrid that augments it's electric capabilities through powerful batteries that can be recharged while the vehicle is stationary and idle.

It seems to be what people want.

But what does it mean to "hybrids"? Consider that plugging in a more powerful battery pack significantly reduces ICE useage and significantly increases MPG's. How would this socially and functionally redefine the current Hybrid? Today, The Prius is impressive as the most fuel efficient vehicle on the market in comparison to every other mainstream ICE vehicle. But if the "plug in" evolution brings MPG's approaching 3 digits or in the case of The Leaf, the future is defined in battery charge, range and recharge time...where does that leave Hybrids as they exist today?

Will there always be a market for Non-Plug in Hybrids?

Maybe I'm looking too far in the future. But I think the future is closer than many people think. There are selfish reasons I wonder about this. Part of it being I love the idea of a Plug In Prius that get's even better MPG's with a stronger, more robust electric functionality that offers more range. But I currently have no access to a garage or way to plug in a vehicle. As much as I would like a Plug In Prius or even a Nissan Leaf, I couldn't do it. I couldn't do it even if the technology was magically perfect or near perfect.

Seems to me the next evolution is going to be corded. Which means those participants will by definition HAVE to be those with at least private driveways and/or Garages. To plug in, you'll have to be able to plug in. Will the next evolution create a new hierarchy in the world of hybrids and alternative automobiles? With those who can plug in and those that can't? Are The Prius that exist today destin to become the second level ancestor to it's own off-spring The Plug In Prius? Because in the future I can see Prius commercials that explain that this Prius you do plug in. So with all the chatter and debate constantly about who or what is the next "Prius Killer" is the Prius Killer the Prius with a cord?

2. a_gray_prius

a_gray_prius Rare Non-Old-Blowhard Priuschat Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Not unless it's a hell of a lot cheaper. People typically have better things to do than obsess over saving gas and they'll leave a plug out if it doesn't cut the price in half. Hell, I probably wouldn't plug my Prius in to save a few bucks a month because one day I'm going to forget and it's going to be expensive to fix (and PriusChatters will have a field day with their blame-the-driver negative attitude).

3. drees

drees Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    As long as batteries are expensive and it takes longer than 30 minutes of recharging to do a day of driving (500mi), there will be a market for cars that run on liquid fuel.

But yes - some day in the future, I think the vast majority of cars on the road will run off electricity unless a better way of storing energy comes about.

4. ksstathead

ksstathead Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I see 2-car households moving to 1 BEV and 1 Hybrid (PHEV for those with a slightly larger budget, perhaps).

Metered charging will appear with this trend, so many people but not all who do not have a garage or driveway can come on board.

Liquid fuel cars will carry on for decades, at least.

5. daniel

daniel Cat Lovers Against the Bomb

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    I predict a future where gasoline is so expensive that people who cannot afford a house with a garage will not be able to afford gasoline either. Electricity will be the transportation fuel. But there will be fast-charge stations. The cover story of the current issue (February, 2010) of CURRENTEVENTS, the publication of the Electric Auto Association is headlined "Siemens to Test Six Minute Charging for EVs on 33% Wind Powered Grid." The story is well summed up in the headline. This is happening in Denmark.

In the future, you will be able to charge your EV in six minutes at a high-powered recharge station. That will probably be more expensive than slow charging at home, but the poor always pay more, so this will be nothing new.

So, not to worry about being left out of the EV revolution if you have no plug-in at home. Of course, the conversion to EVs will take a decade or more, and during that time, neighborhoods without garages are liable to get coin-operated slow-charging "parking meters" on their residential streets.

The end of oil will also see a shift from air travel to electric rail. In 50 years, long-distance travel may become much slower than it is now, but computer technology will make it easier to pretend you are traveling, just as computers today are making it possible to pretend you are participating in sports. Maybe they'll even figure out how to make you seasick, to enhance the verisimilitude of the experience.

Your next European vacation by tall sailing ship, anyone? If I didn't get seasick that would be my preferred method of travel overseas. Square-riggers are totally cool. Heave haul and up she rises, heave haul and up she rises, heave haul and up she rises, earl-eye in the morning! If you don't get seasick, this is the most fun vacation you'll ever have: Jubilee Sailing Trust. If you do get seasick, you will honestly and truly want to die. I have never been so sick in all my life as when I sailed on the Lord Nelson, and I have never had so much fun. All on the same one-week voyage.

6. mitch672

mitch672 Technology Geek

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    2011 Nissan LEAF: Batteries - All Cars Electric

Nissan's Leaf will have a high-powered, 50KW Fast Charging station available, it can charge the batteries to %80 in 30 minutes, or enough for 31 miles with a 5 minute charge. These charging stations are expensive now, but there will be public stations eventually, that of course charge $. You won't have to plug it in to your house/condo, it is just more convenient to do so, and take an overnight charge, but if you don't have a garage or way to charge where you live, you will be able to fnd a public charging station and use that for the 5-minute or 30-minute charge.