1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Is the Gen 1 brake-by-wire like the Gen 2?

Discussion in 'Generation 1 Prius Discussion' started by Tryyn, Apr 6, 2021.

Tags:
  1. Tryyn

Tryyn Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2002 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Is the brake-by-wire system in the 1st gen basically the same architecture as the 2nd gen (similar sensors, actuators, etc) with the exception of no VSC/VDIM? If not, how is it different? Any difference in re-gen vs friction brake management, system design, or anything else?

2. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    All Prius generations can be described as kind of brake-by-wirey, but the 2nd gen was distinctly more brake-by-wirey than the ones both before and since. You can pick up some of the reasons from this post.

As your particular interest is in the differences between Gen 1 and Gen 2, the New Car Features manual from 2004 (more info) is what will answer most of those questions. Proportioning of brake force front-to-rear was done with a traditional proportioning valve in Gen 1, and they folded that into the electronic control for Gen 2 and called it EBD (electronic brake-force distribution). They also managed to eliminate the little sliver of always-friction down the Gen 1 side of this illustration, and use pure regen in that area.

[​IMG]

There's more about that in this post. That illustration, naturally, is from the 2004 NCF manual, already mentioned.

landspeed likes this.
  3. Tryyn

Tryyn Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2002 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Is the elimination of the "little sliver of always friction" on Gen 2 due to the addition of EBD, or due to different system design? I'm guessing that's because the older DBW braking system on my 2002 doesn't have the control to totally disengage the friction brakes.

4. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Probably more accurate to chalk that difference up to the ECB function in the Gen 2.

I didn't put an exhaustive list of the differences between the gens into the post above, just a few to get started. I linked to a couple other posts where there's a bit more, but those details all come from the New Car Features manual already mentioned.

If the design differences interest you, and it sounds like they do, you'll eventually want to just read about both systems, meaning pages 100 to 121 in the 2001 NCF, and pages CH-29 to CH-72 in the 2004 NCF.