1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Is the glove box light supposed to go out when the door closes?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by trilect, Jan 23, 2007.

1. trilect

trilect New Member

I noticed light seepage on the way home last night around the glove box door. After I saw it it kind of bothered me so I stopped at a gas station and had a look. Mine stays on whenever the headlights are on. Is that normal? The seepage is around the latch handle.

Just wondering, thanks

2. SomervillePrius

SomervillePrius New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    It's a "feature" not a "bug" :)

For some reason Toyota decided to save $0.02 and didn't include a switch for the glove box light so it always stays on. I have no idea why!

It's been discussed a lot on this board before (We should FAQ it!)

/Robert

3. trilect

trilect New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(SomervillePrius @ Jan 23 2007, 10:47 AM) [snapback]379490[/snapback]</div>

Ahh well thats fine, the glove box switches usually fail after a time on most cars anyway. Now that I know I'll put some black felt in the crack to stop the light seepage.

4. MarinJohn

MarinJohn Senior Member

Dear Trilect, welcome to PC. You will find this forum a font of great information. The best and quickest way to find answers to your questions is to use the 'search' feature on PC. I mention this because so many of us at one time had similar questions and posed them to the general readership and we have built up quite a database. It seems like over time many new owners find themselves in similar quandaries as we 'oldsters' once were, and pose the same questions. While they are certainly as pressing to you as they were once to many of us, we have seen similar questions asked countless times and every once in a while one of us 'oldsters' snaps back with something rude like RTFM which, naturally turns off new readers for our abruptness. I encourage you to use the 'search' feature to avoid possibly placing yourself in such a situation. To answer your question, yes, the light is always on. To find out why, well, see above! Again, welcome and enjoy!

5. trilect

trilect New Member

Yep I did a search for glove box light and did get a hit but it wasn't what I was looking for. The only problem with searches is knowing how to phrase the search question :)

Since I live in a very very rural area most of the folks would refer to the glove box as a secondary beer cooler :)

Thanks again.

6. FBear

FBear Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Four
    My sentiments exactly, thank you MarinJohn. The repetition of same questions really gets to be repetative. (like that one from the DEPARTMENT OF REDUNDANCY DEPARTMENT).
    Nobody wants to take the time to do a proper search.

7. Three60guy

Three60guy -->All around guy<-- (360 = round) get it?

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Quick answer:

The light is a LED which will last forever (ok not forever but you know what I mean). It would cost more to replace the dang switch than to just keep the light on. For me I would rather just have the light left on knowing I wont ever have to pay to have the dumb switch replaced. :)

8. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(FBear @ Jan 23 2007, 10:17 AM) [snapback]379601[/snapback]</div>
    It's the ADAA - American Dodgeball Association of America

9. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(trilect @ Jan 23 2007, 09:50 AM) [snapback]379491[/snapback]</div>
    Yup, why bother with a mechanical switch that will fail when you can have a nearly zero energy use light on all the time that'll outlast the life of your car? Almost no chance of failure or need of replacement.