1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Is the ICE coolant and Inverter coolant system separate from each other?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by SRQ, Mar 9, 2013.

1. SRQ

SRQ Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I just replaced my coolant valve (P1121) fix and I had a little more than a gallon come out of the car, and added a little less than a gallon back in. I'm keeping some coolant in my car at all times for the next few months, but are the two coolant systems independent of each other? And where can I find a guide/diagram on how to change the ICE coolant? I've searched but there are too many results, and there isn't a central thread that links to procedures and operations, everything is just scattered all over the forum.

2. sfv41901

sfv41901 Masta S

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Yes.....they are independent systems

3. sfv41901

sfv41901 Masta S

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    As for changing the ICE coolant, there is a drain valve at the bottom of the radiator. There will also be a plug on the ICE if u want to drain the block.

For bleeding the system, I believe u have to put the Prii into inspection mode to keep the ICE on for the bleeding process.

4. SRQ

SRQ Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Yeah I think I have some bleeding to do because I took it for a drive and had the red triangle pop up for a second and a message on the LCD screen saying "problem". But this happened for only one second, I pulled over and checked the coolant level, and there was nothing wrong. I just got home, I'll open up the bleed valve real quick and see if any air comes out.

5. sfv41901

sfv41901 Masta S

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Do u have a ScangaugeII or Bluetooth Torque so u can see what the coolant temps are?

6. SRQ

SRQ Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    No. From what I understand, if the temps get too high the vehicle will automatically shut down the inverter.

I also tried to bleed more air from the system but nothing but coolant came out. I closed it because coolant was spilling on the floor. Or do I need to get a PVC pipe to direct the coolant back into the reservoir so that the bubbles have time to cycle through?

7. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Yes, the engine coolant system and inverter/transaxle coolant system are two separate systems.

See my posts #22 and #42 here: Changing engine coolant | Page 2 | PriusChat