1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Is the motor/engine (gas) covered under hybrid warranty

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by rrolff, Oct 22, 2009.

1. rrolff

rrolff Prius Surgeon

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I seem to get conflicting information - can anyone definitively state that the gas portion of the hybrid is or is not covered (not your opinion).

It seem the manual defines the hybrid system as gas and electric - the warranty (especially for CA), covers the "hybrid system" - which must my definition include gas and electric (or the warranty of the "hybrid" is meaningless). The warranty doc states the motor is covered - but is that electric/gas/both?

Just wondering.......

2. jdcollins5

jdcollins5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I am not sure about CA but the warranty document that I received for my car in NC was very specific about what components were covered by each level of warranty.

3. JimboK

JimboK One owner, low mileage

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Yes, the warranty is quite specific that the engine is covered by the powertrain warranty, 5 years/60K miles.

4. paprius4030

paprius4030 My first Prius

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Yes , but then depending on what is wrong with the gas engine don't we get into the murky area of what is covered under the emissions warranty.:confused:

5. rrolff

rrolff Prius Surgeon

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Thank you - can you kindly explain where that is explained - spelled out? Also - what is the difference between motor and engine????? And please be specific to the 2010.

Personally - as I read it, the hybrid system is the system - motors working together to create a hybrid...

6. JimboK

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    As you read what? You really need to read the warranty booklet that came with your car to get it completely and, presumably, as unambiguously as it is in mine.

I realize mine is for a 2005, but there is nothing among the warranty highlights listed on Toyota Owners Online to suggest anything has changed. This is verbatim from TOO (to save you a little time):
    Hybrid Warranty

Every Toyota Car, Truck and SUV is built to exceptional standards. And that's not idle boasting. We back it up with these Limited Warranty Coverages:

Basic Coverage: 36 months/36,000 miles (all components other than normal wear and maintenance items).

Hybrid-Related Component Coverage: Hybrid-related components, including the HV battery, battery control module, hybrid control module and inverter with converter, are covered for 8 years/100,000 miles. The HV battery may have longer coverage under emissions warranty. Refer to applicable Owner's Warranty Information booklet for details.

Powertrain Coverage: 60 months/60,000 miles (engine, transmission/transaxle, front-wheel drive, rear-wheel drive, seatbelts and air bags).

Rust-Through Coverage: 60 months/unlimited miles (corrosion perforation of sheet metal).

Emissions Coverage: Coverages vary under Federal and California regulations. Refer to applicable Owner's Warranty Information booklet for details.
    For complete details about Toyota's warranties, please refer to the applicable Owner's Warranty Information booklet or see your Toyota dealer.
    As an aside, it's interesting that the website doesn't list the motor/generators (those are the electric motors), though in my booklet they're listed under the powertrain warranty.

Paprius, there is no conflict with the emission control warranty, given the detailed explanation of "Engine" in my booklet:
    Cylinder block and head and all internal parts, timing gears and gaskets, timing chain/belt and cover, valve covers oil pain, oil pump, engine mounts, engine control computer, water pump, fuel pump, seals and gaskets.
    Emission control components are listed elsewhere, also very explicitly.

So I restate my original suggestion: Read the warranty booklet.

1 person likes this.
  7. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    motors and PSD are covered under the powertrain warranty.

8. JimboK

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Rrolff, I just noticed you're from California, where the 15 year/150K emission control warranty includes the motor/generators. Of course that doesn't change the answer to your original question, that the engine is covered under the powertrain warranty. Maybe part of your confusion is that "motor" and "generator" are listed separately on that page, whereas they (there are two of them) are combination motor/generator units. And they are NOT the engine.

9. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Agreeing with the others: the ICE is part of the power train, not part of the hybrid system. The warranty is very clear about that.

Tom

10. spiderman

spiderman wretched

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Bummer... I figured they would by under the hybrid system. Not that anything is likely to fail after 36K.

11. rrolff

rrolff Prius Surgeon

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    As previously posted - motor is clearly detailed under the Hybrid warranty (15/150K)... I never saw the separate power train warranty in the booklet - that probably would've cleared it up for me... So it seems the electric part is covered, gas is not...