1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Is the MPG boost with summer gas completely cancelled by A/C

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Fuel Economy' started by mad-dog-one, Feb 21, 2010.

1. mad-dog-one

mad-dog-one Prius Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    ----USA----
    We live in Southern California, where the winters are mild. We got our 2010 Prius in December and have been getting 50 to 58 MPG on the dash gauge from day one. I undestand that the actual mileage is really 5-8% less. I have read some posts about the difference between winter and summer blend gas and understand that fuel economy can also be better in the summer because the ICE reaches operating temperature more quickly. Nevertheless, summers in S. California also demand use of the A/C.

My question is for those of you with Prius experience in mild weather conditions with California-like gas. Can we expect the higher BTU summer gas and warmer temperatures to off-set the mileage hit from from the A/C or is our mileage going to be better during winter?

Thank you

2. adamace1

adamace1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I don't think so. Some of my best mpg tanks were in the hot summer, around 95F outside with the ac turned to about 70 inside the car. My car will get alot better mpg in 100 degree weather than it can in 30 degree weather, and i'm going to use the ac heavly to make it feel good inside the car.

I didn't respond to your questions right so i need to edit it. But what i'm trying to say is i didn't notice ac doing much to my mpg, i kinda think it helps the traction battery to feel the cold ac, rather than it getting to hot and not being able to be used much.

1 person likes this.
  3. JimboPalmer

JimboPalmer Tsar of all the Rushers

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    I live in Mississippi, which has mild winters and humid summers, I see MPGs near 42 in both summer and winter, while spring and fall are about 47 MPG. I tinted the glass to the amount MS law allows to improve summer MPG, next winter I try grill blocking.

4. dogfriend

dogfriend Human - Animal Hybrid

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    I'm gonna say it depends upon your driving - at freeway speeds, A/C won't have much effect - if you are in stop and go, it will cause the ICE to run more often to charge the battery - if you are doing short trips in hot weather, it really kills your mpg because it takes extra energy each time to get the car cooled down.

I get the best mileage in the spring and fall when the weather is not too cold or too hot.

5. nooaah

nooaah New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    If you don't have the A/C at 50 degrees (e.g. 75ish) and leave it at auto then you'll probably not see too much of a difference. Personally, I never have. The time temperature murders my MPG is when it goes down to freezing or below.