1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Is the original oil special

Discussion in 'Newbie Forum' started by PriusFan808, Mar 26, 2008.

1. PriusFan808

PriusFan808 New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    I want to install a magnetic drain plug on my new Prius as soon as possible. Is the oil in the prius from the factory a special type of oil? What is the soonest I could drain the original oil? Is it OK to go with a synthetic on the first oil change?

I seem to be drawn towards this ENEOS (0W-20)synthetic by Nippon. It has Molybdenum in it. Does anybody know if Molybdenum is attracted to a magnet?

Thanks,
    Michael

2. Skwyre7

Skwyre7 What's the catch?

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Paramagnetic metals have a small and positive susceptibility to magnetic fields. These materials are slightly attracted by a magnetic field and the material does not retain the magnetic properties when the external field is removed. Paramagnetic properties are due to the presence of some unpaired electrons, and from the realignment of the electron orbits caused by the external magnetic field. Paramagnetic materials include magnesium, molybdenum, lithium, and tantalum. [Source]

You can change your oil whenever you want. It's fine to go synthetic at the first change.

Yes, the oil in the Prius from the factory is special - it's the first oil your new Prius has seen! :p (It's just regular oil, in case you didn't get my sense of humor.)

3. PriusFan808

PriusFan808 New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Yes, I do have a sense of humor.:D

I appreciate the very detailed response; I am a science nerd.