1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Is the plug in bashing pro-terrorist

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by austingreen, Apr 5, 2012.

1. austingreen

austingreen Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    I was reading comments on the volt and got pointed to this video. Nice to see someone that loves oil stick up for using less.
    Can the Chevy Volt help win the War on Terror? | Video | Fox News

Its a little painful to watch this guy, but I loved the part where he said part of what he liked is it can use american coal instead of foreign oil. Later on he said that renewables are nice, but he really likes that plug ins can run on American produced natural gas, coal, and uranium.

It makes you think that frequent fox guest, Mike Kelly really hates America. What with his support of oil subsidies and campaign to kill plug ins - isn't he for sending money from america to opec. Its probably his hate for obama not his love for terrorist, but some politicians need to take a look in the mirror and decide if they want to support Iran.

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2012-03-09/gm-s-buyers-snub-obamamobile-volt-as-campaign-gets-hot.html

2. cycledrum

cycledrum PSOCSOASP

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Ok, so they are going to beat down the Volt. Meanwhile Prius will still sell like hotcakes under the radar, including the Prius plug-in and Toyota will continue to completely dominate adv. tech car market. the Ford hybrid will continue to sell in small quantities of couple thousand a month.

It is the weirdest times that we live in regarding 'hybrid' or other advanced tech cars. Half the US seems so confused about them.

Probably just the API and other oil barons behind it.

3. __-_-_-__

__-_-_-__ Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    oil companies love it.

4. austingreen

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    Perhaps the reasoning in the video can be used to change the minds of people that are anti-hybrid. I don't think its even good for american oil companies:( Pennsylvania Congressman Mike Kelly is the one behind everything, but lots of fox news and republican candidates are with him. He is rich, holds millions of dollars in oil stocks, gets money from oil and gas lobbiest, is pro-fracking without environmental protection, pro offshore drilling everywhere, pro oil subsidy, anti-plug in. GM did try to take his dealership away when it reorganized, so he has a vendetta against the volt and obama, but loves bob lutz and big SUVs.

5. cycledrum

cycledrum PSOCSOASP

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Part of the bashing comes from tax credits doled out for plug-ins. My guess is conservatives say try to sell the cars without credits. If they are good, they will sell, if not, they won't.

Personally, I'm not quite on board with plug-ins, and that includes the PiP. I like the PiP, Volt and Leaf, they seems like fun and interesting things to have around, but when it comes to cost, things don't look so good. -

The 2012 EPA stickers show regular Prius having $1,100 / year gas cost. The PiP is only $100 less. I think the CA tax credits might knock $4k off, to be had next year, but again, the car is subsidized by taxpayers and conservatives don't like that.

Still, one is left with about $3k more for the PiP after reaping tax benefits ....

then someday there will be the issue of dealing not only with a NimH battery, but a heavier and certainly much more costly Li Ion battery to refurbish or replace. So, I just don't know about it. no silver bullet for really being green except to hop on a bicycle when able.

6. austingreen

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    You have to remember the "conservative" that put this forward voted for oil subsidies to continue, and liked the SUV tax deduction. So we know Kelly is a hypocrit if this is about the free market, he doesn't believe in it. Latest presidential bash was from Mitt, who hired lobbiest to get tax breaks for him and his buddies at bain. These are not free market conservatives. If you talk to the free market guys, there are much more important subsidies to go after, and that includes the oil subsidies that kelly voted to keep. No traction with me on that argument.

Now I know you may not like the subsidies for free market reasons, but that is not a reason to dislike the volt. If you ask ron paul, who actually is free market, he would priortize ending the subsidies on oil first. Anyone for oil subsidies first should check their credentials with paul. You may note all those loudest against the volt seem to hate ron paul also.
    All these technologies to use less gas are good for the country and right now conventional hybrids are the leaders. But IMHO bush 43 had it right when he put the tax credits in place, America is addicted to oil and we should invest in the technology to end that addiction. I don't believe that having a big army and navy is the right way to deal with our oil use. How many minutes of carter doctrine, we will protect oil, military spending do you think is spent for a year of the tax credit?

Its not as if the auto industry is fully free market. I would like less safety and emissions controls legislation, but everybody has to like the fact that their are seat belts and cars no longer are free to belch out any pollution they want.