1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Is the ScanGaugeII still the one to get

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by blfuller, Mar 26, 2018.

1. blfuller

blfuller Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    I'm considering getting the SGII now that I had to take my '09 into the Stealer to get the check engine light code read. DTC was P1116 & P1121 which means the 3 way valve needed replaced. I have 144K on it now and I am going to get one so I don't have to go in anymore and self diagnose. The Stealer wanted $950 to replace the valve because they had to remove the front bumper. Yeah, right. The TSB says it should only take 2.1 hours.

Anyway I see there are a few others out there and I was wondering if the SGII is still the one to get or is there something better. Any input would be appreciated. Thanks.

2. SFO

SFO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    If you have a laptop, get a mini-vci cable with toyota techstream ($20 or less).

If you have an android product, look into the 'Torque' app. Not as fully functional as Techstream, but it has saved me a couple of time while driving when a bunch of lights appeared on the dash (maybe $5).

Raytheeagle likes this.
  3. blfuller

blfuller Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    So this mini-vci cable is Toyota specific, correct? Copy of the Toyota Mongoose if I understand correctly. Are any one of these better than the other?

4. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    The scan gauge is more of a universal obd tool. It’s ok but it does not have TIS software.
    I highly recommend to own it in general as you can pull codes on any car.
    There’s the mini vci or there’s also VXDIAG with Toyota techstream for $99.

Amazon.com for VXDIAG. Works good plug and play Win7. They will return your emails too.

I have all 3. I had the ScanGauge for about 10 years and then few years back sent it to them and they upgraded it to a Xgauge. Long lasting tester really.

Linear Logic likes this.