1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Is the Scion tC Toyota's "ricer"?

Discussion in 'Other Cars' started by ghostofjk, Apr 26, 2006.

1. ghostofjk

ghostofjk New Member

The tC looks like a nice-sized, fun car to drive, especially if you're a kid (say, 18-25). From what I've seen in N CA, it's also destined to be Toyota's "rice rocket"---finally! Some of the ones I've spotted have been lowered and the exhausts doctored. Anyone seeing the same thing elsewhere.

Should Toyota compete with Honda even in that venue? Many of the Honda Civic ricers I've seen have been beaten to death, including visibly burning oil. I don't think Toyota needs that advertising. But nobody can stop things like that...

2. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Don't know but I like the tC. Heck some Prius owners have tC wheels on their rides heh.

For style and features, you can't beat the price.

3. gippah

gippah New Member

I like the idea of the Scion.

But it's really not designed to compete with Honda. It's aim is to be Toyota's "Saturn-like" car, meaning no-haggle pricing and is geared for first-time buyers (or at least young people).

4. dipper

dipper Senior Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(gippah @ Apr 26 2006, 03:25 PM) [snapback]245766[/snapback]</div>
    Actually the tC has replaced the Toyota Celica (Marketing intention). The tC comes with the 2.4L engine from the Camry. And a supercharger option to install at the dealer with factory warranty.

5. Rancid13

Rancid13 Cool Chick with a Black Prius

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    IMO speaking of Scions, the xB looks much much 'ricier' to me than the tC. Perhaps it's because that car stands out more in a crowd or in traffic than the tC, but I've seen many more young men (like college-age guys) driving fully customized xB's than women.

The majority of tC drivers from what I've seen around town have been mostly young women (also college-age-looking), mainly. And the tC's I've seen have looked primarily more stock than xB's. I have a friend (female, ~25 years old) who is looking to trade her compact SUV for a tC.

6. gippah

gippah New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(dipper @ Apr 26 2006, 08:16 PM) [snapback]245847[/snapback]</div>
    It may "replace" the Celica, but the whole idea of the Scion line is to have Toyota enter the "haggle-free" pricing market, for those who do not like the idea of haggling on the price of a car.

You can phone up your dealer and ask about the Scion and he'll be happy to tell you. Any salesperson who has been around awhile will know. Toyota dealers are audited every month to make sure they are selling their Scions at the price marked and get penalized if they diverge from the pricing schemes.

When you buy a Scion, you look at the sticker price. If you decide to purchase it, they run a credit check. The money you put down along with your credit score determines your the interest rate that you pay and your monthly payment. It's all published by Toyota and the dealer cannot bargain with you.

That's all there is to know about buying a Scion.