1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Is the service department ignoring my issues?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by docsnavely, Jan 4, 2011.

1. docsnavely

docsnavely Insert Custom Title Here

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    III
    I have a couple issues that I was hoping some of you more experienced prius owners could help me out with. Before the holidays I went in to my dealer and had my first 5K maintenance performed for my III with nav and solar roof.

I let the rep know that I wanted the beeping turned to the one beep for reverse. I also let her know that I am experiencing sudden and harsh deceleration when canceling my cruise with the brake pedal. I am very familiar with how my brakes feel and let her know that when braking without cruise control on, it is a smooth process with no issues. Only when I use the brake pedal to cancel my CC does it jerk suddenly. I have yet to have a smooth braking experience coming out of CC. I have to depend on using my CC lever to cancel the CC before braking if I don't want the jerking sensation.

About an hour later (they were quite busy), she came out with the mechanic who remained silent and informed me that they are unable to turn the beeping off and that my only two options are to have the beeping remain as is from factory, or have it switched to a solid tone that remains on while in reverse. I asked her if this was the dealer policy and she told me it wasn't, that this is just not possible to have done with the programming of the nav unit. I informed her that I had heard otherwise and also let her know how much nonsense it is to have a beeping INSIDE the cab when no one can hear it outside where it can actually do more good than providing a distraction for the driver. She held her footing and kept with her story that it isn't physically possible to change it.

She then told me that the mechanic (who still remained silent) took the car out and did experience the same issue with the CC that I have, but that it is an issue with the prius and is not of any concern, and then tried to instruct me on how to perform a smooth braking procedure (after she just said that the mechanic had the same problem). I am a paramedic and drive ambulances very frequently. I think by now after years with a set of lights and sirens that I know how to come to a smooth and complete stop without jerking the vehicle forward like an old lady (no offense to any age impaired females on the boards).

Lastly, they changed my oil at the 5K mark when I know it's supposed to be 10K. I'm not complaining at all about this, but I do not fit the category for the hard use oil change (nor did they ask me my driving habits). I wonder if them changing the oil is just a sign of their lack of attention to detail that I am expecting my dealership to have when it comes to my brand new car (which they technically still own).

Any comments on how to address some of these issues would be appreciated. Thanks everybody and Happy New Year!

Josh

2. wick1ert

wick1ert Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    The beep can be changed to a single beep. I don't think they knew what they were talking about. As far as CC, I think it's due to the fact that non-hybrid vehicles don't use regenerative braking. When you shut off the CC in those vehicles, it essentially is like the car going into neutral so it's just the decrease in power. When you shut off the CC in the Prius, it kicks it right to regenerative braking. When you do it via the brake pedal, it will make this feel exacerbated. Not really an issue, just an exaggerated braking that happens using the pedal as opposed to just using the CC stalk to cancel it. I always use the stalk, unless some unusual events occur where I have to slow or stop quickly. Typically, if I expect that, I'll anticipate and not use the CC.

Hope that helps some!

1 person likes this.
  3. docsnavely

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    III
    That helps a lot. Thanks for the clarification. That makes pretty good sense. You would think that they could program it be a bit smoother when using the brake pedal to disengage the CC, but hey at least I have an answer.

As for the beep, I was crystal clear about it. I think they either didn't want to go plug the car back in, or the dealer has some false morality policy about turning off "safety features." I might take it to a different dealer for the 10K service.

Thanks for the help.

4. Troyroy

Troyroy Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Both of your issues are something that can be serviced.

Several people have had service personal tell then that the rear beeper can't be changed......this is 100% wrong.....my dealer did it in about 2 minutes, right in the parking lot.

The hard braking when coming out of CC using the brake. Is something that I also have. I just don't use the brake when canceling the CC. This can be adjusted by yourself...just adjust the switch near the brake pedal that cancels the CC. It's something that I will do, when warm weather gets here.

5. wick1ert

wick1ert Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    No problem. I would recommend a different dealer to shut off the beep. I also wouldn't go to the dealer for another 10k miles if that's where you fall for your OCI.

I think the disengaging of the CC is smooth, but it may be a little too quick. You'll get pretty used to that over time and expect what it's going to do. I noticed in PWR mode, it doesn't seem to be as much of a transition...or maybe it was the other way around lol. I vaguely remember it being a little easier transition in some modes. Might want to give it a try, though, in ECO, Normal, PWR and see if they seem different.

6. bretaz

bretaz Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Do you know which oil they used?

7. docsnavely

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    III
    @Troyroy: Can you be more specific as to where this switch is? This is the first I've heard someone reference it before.

@bretaz: I have no idea. I'm assuming 0w20 since I went to a dealer, but there's no way to be sure. If I ask, I doubt they would tell me any different, even if it weren't true.

It's a shame that the service department at this dealer is this way. The sales department was the best we experienced in Central Florida. I guess the dealers with the shady figures walking the lot will have a better service department.

8. tumbleweed

tumbleweed Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    As previously posted the reverse beep can be changed to 1 beep and it only takes about 2 or 3 minutes and that includes the time it takes to find the laptop. Refer to page 592 of the Owner's Manual, a continuous beep is not even one of the options it can be set the way it is now or to 1 beep.

Your other problem may be that the brake light switch is adjusted wrong, that was the problem with mine. The same switch that lights the brake lights also cancels the CC. It is fairly easy to adjust and is located under the dash board. http://priuschat.com/forums/gen-iii...ise-control-breath-brakes-final-solution.html If you adjust it yourself remember, turn the green thing 90 degrees with your hand (the brown thing doesn't turn) then in or out to adjust and turn 90 degrees the other way to relock. If this is your problem remember the brake lights will be coming on late also and that can be a safety issue.

Looks like you have found yet another incompetent dealership, unfortunately there are a lot of them. I suggest trying to find another one.

1 person likes this.
  9. 32kcolors

32kcolors Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    So have your next oil change at 15K and it's better that way because you get to avoid the pricey 30K maintenance "special" by skipping it and taking it in at 25K, 35K, etc.

10. xs650

xs650 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    i wouldn't count on a dealer that changed the oil at 5k miles to have used synthetic. Unless he knows what the dealer used, he should change it again after 5k miles.

11. Troyroy

Troyroy Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    docsnavely:

Are you certain that the dealer changed your oil. My son just had his 5K service. His receipt from the dealer had the oil change mentioned........but it was not done. He was not charges for this service...all they did was rotate his tires. His and my own 5k service was a free service..as your should of been.

Check over your service record....look closely at it, does it just show the oil change....or does it have the number of quarts & filter & labor actually charged on the receipt.

12. docsnavely

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    III
    Well, I'm reviving an old thread. I'm at the dealer now for my 10k service. I was lucky enough to pull the same service assistant and she was adamant about the beep only being continuous beeping or a steady tone. I was prepared and had my manual with me. She scoffed at me, and continued to say she was certain it couldn't be changed, but she said she would have the tech look into it. I watched her type in my comments into the computer and they were kinda snooty but I don't really care.

I also told her that I was aware about the brake lights feeding the cruise control and that I wanted them to make it slightly smoother when canceling the CC with the brake pedal. She rolled her eyes at me but also put it in to be looked at.

I apologized and told her I didn't want to be one of those "pain in the nice person" customers, and that I deal with those kind of people all day, and I understand how difficult I am being, but that after paying as much as I did, I believe I should have my car the way I want it.

What sucks is that she's apparently the assistant service manager. Let's see how it works out. As long as these two things get fixed, I won't care since all I have to do is come in for an oil change every 10k. I love my car, but these people make things so difficult.

13. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    The correct answers to your questions. These answers were posted above, but to help you sort through all of the posts, here they are again:

1) You can change the backup beeping to a single beep. If your dealer can't do it, find another dealer.

2) You need to adjust your brake light switch. Most Gen III Prius have the switch adjusted to require too much pressure before the brake lights come on. This is dangerous for following cars, and also produces the harsh release of CC that you describe. The procedure for doing the adjustment can be found on PriusChat, but your dealer can easily do it too.

Tom

14. docsnavely

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    III
    Thanks Tom,

I am just bored while sitting here waiting so I thought I would post. I unfortunately don't have any other time this month to go to another dealer so if they don't change the beep, I'm going to push it up to the manager.

As for the CC, I read the procedure here on prius chat when you guys were nice enough to guide me to it. My concern is that I don't want to screw anything up and it be my responsibility. I am good at directions and good with my hands, but with as much as I drive every day (I've had the car almost 5 months and am getting my 10k service today) I don't want to do something I may have the faintest chance of screwing up.

thanks for the help!

Josh

15. 32kcolors

32kcolors Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    I'd just find a different dealer if they treat you like that. It has nothing to do with being a pain in the nice person customer. My dealer changed the backup beeping without question, scoffing or eye rolling.

16. docsnavely

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    III
    So yeah,

She came out and told me "they were able to find a work-around and get your beeping to stop." She informed me though that the CC wasn't changed because they didn't find any problem with it. I was kind of expecting that so I guess I'll just do it myself.

Thanks for the help with this everyone. The thread can now rest in peace.

17. The Electric Me

The Electric Me Go Speed Go!

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I agree with this. You shouldn't feel the need to apologize or defend yourself for asking the "service" department to do to your car perfectly reasonable things to ask them to do.

Plus the sooner you establish a relationship with a service department you like...or feel confident in..the better. Because who know's what the future might hold? You can't count on always dealing with them in casual terms such as Oil Changes...knock on wood..but anything could happen, and then suddenly you are counting on them to do a whole lot more.

You are the customer, you don't deserve a snooty attitude, or a sarcastic tone entered into the comments of your service papers.

Free to do what you wish..but my opinion.

18. eric1234

eric1234 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Furthermore, you should make Toyota America aware of the experience you've had with this dealer. It may do nothing, but it may result in a change to a more customer-friendly attitude.

19. twittel

twittel Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Doc, I'm curious. Did your dealer change the oil again?

20. toyotechwv

toyotechwv Toyota Technician

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Absolutely call the Customer Experience Center. This information will be brought to the attention of the District Manager and usually the dealer principle. It's most often the attitude of single employees not the dealer as a whole, so action should be taken to make the powers that be aware of an issue with customer service. Oh the number is 1-800-331-4331.

2 people like this.