1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Is the steering on the Prius bad or is it just me?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by lolabelle, Jul 7, 2007.

1. lolabelle

lolabelle New Member

Oh, and P.S.: I keep seeing people on this forum with packages going up to #9 but according to the Toyota website, it only goes up to #6 -- what are these other packages I can't find? :huh:

2. BethlehemPrius

BethlehemPrius New Member

Beeping is easily turned off once you buy it, there is a series of steps spelled out on this site of how to do it.

The steering on my 07 standard model is fine, in fact it is incredibly smooth and easy. Some say too much of a loss of road feel even.

I would test drive a new one, am sure it was something damaged in the rental.

Happy shopping, my only issue is the seats, kinda uncomfortable on long trips but otherwise great car!

3. mrohde

mrohde Junior Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(lolabelle @ Jul 7 2007, 08:20 PM) [snapback]474823[/snapback]</div>

The steering will most likely be the same. Understand that the Prius uses a steer by wire system. Meaning that there is no power steering pump and steering linkage as in most cars. The rotation of the steering wheel sends a signal to an electric motor.

There is a mod here in these forums for disabling the reverse beeper. Welcome to the Prius world!

4. lolabelle

lolabelle New Member

Hi Mrhode, thanks for writing back!

Could you explain a little more what you mean about "wire system" steering. I am not a "car person" per se and am completely confused. Would this wire system explain why I felt that the steering wheel kind of "locked" or hit something whenever I steered all the way to the left or right when parallel parking??

5. hschuck

hschuck Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(mrohde @ Jul 7 2007, 05:26 PM) [snapback]474828[/snapback]</div>
    Not really steering by wire. Mechanical linkage all the way thru. Power steering is provided electrically not the usual hydraulic system. Agree that you should take a test drive to form a better opinion.

6. Michgal007

Michgal007 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    There is only up to package #6 in the 2007 model, but there were more packages in previous years (2006 had #9).

7. JimboK

JimboK One owner, low mileage

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(mrohde @ Jul 7 2007, 08:26 PM) [snapback]474828[/snapback]</div>
    Are you sure? The shift is by-wire, but isn't the steering mechanical with an electric assist? The steering shaft recall work I last year was to a part of the mechanical linkage, parts that wouldn't seem necessary if it was a by-wire system.

8. chuck_k

chuck_k New Member

No, it doesn't.

True, the shifter, gas pedal, and brake pedal are all merely electronic controls that tell the computer what you want. Those are done by wire. But the steering is definitely a mechanical linkage.

It is power assist, but the assist is electrical, not hydraulic like with most cars. This only makes sense, since you want the assist to be there whether the engine is running or not--and the hydraulic assist is driven by the engine, so on a Prius a hydraulic assist would be there only part of the time and that wouldn't make sense at all.

9. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    The steering is NOT by-wire. it's mechanically connected. It's the power assist that's electric (you can hear the electric motor if you turn off the radio/A/C and yank the wheel to full lock).

The steering wheel feel depends on what you've driven before. Someone driving a BMW will say the Prius' steering is too light. Someone driving an Avalon will say the steering is too stiff.

10. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(lolabelle @ Jul 7 2007, 05:20 PM) [snapback]474823[/snapback]</div>
    The steering is not stiff to me at all. It just lacks road feel and doesn't have a whole lot of feedback.

If you want heavy steering, try my 04 350Z. That requires quite a bit of effort. If you want try something that requires a massive amount of effort at a standstill, try an 1980 Chevy Chevette or a Chevy/Geo Metro. Neither have power steering.

11. mrohde

mrohde Junior Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(chuck_k @ Jul 7 2007, 09:20 PM) [snapback]474855[/snapback]</div>
    Sorry, I stand corrected

12. IsrAmeriPrius

IsrAmeriPrius Progressive Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(lolabelle @ Jul 7 2007, 05:20 PM) [snapback]474823[/snapback]</div>
    There were nine option packages in the 04 model year, six in 05, eight in 06 and six in 07.

Packages 9 in 04 and 6 in 05 were identical and the same goes for packages 8 in 06 and 6 in 07.

13. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    The steering is incredibly smooth on both the touring and the standard. It's easy to turn off the reverse beeping.

Tom

14. silver-machine

silver-machine New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(qbee42 @ Jul 8 2007, 11:19 AM) [snapback]475068[/snapback]</div>
    I find the steering is pretty light compared to other cars.

You might want to try the reverse beep for a while, I thought it was annoying, but with the car being so quiet, and automatic rather than manual (like every other car Ive owned) Ive found its a really handy reminder that Im in reverse. For me it works well.

15. Rae Vynn

Rae Vynn Artist In Residence

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Another thing about the steering, is that it is rack & pinion, and if all you've ever driven before is a standard, belt-driven power steering unit sort of car, it will feel different. The electric steering assist is instantaneous.

I find it wonderful, myself. Much more responsive.

16. morpheusx

morpheusx Professor Chaos

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I find the steering to be quite responsive and smooth.

Also it is mechanical steering with electrical assist like most of the previous posters had said. If you need further proof to this sit in your prius without turning it on stick your head out the window and lightly turn the steering wheel, your tires wouldn't move if it were turn by wire.
    Also I know the gas is completely drive by wire, but I think the brakes still use a conventional system in panic stop situations, but I am not certain. But if you look in the engine comparment behind the hybrid motor (drivers side) look on the fire wall and you will see what appears to be a master cylinder with hydraulic lines and i dont think I see any type of electrical components attached to it. But I do know that it must only engage with heavy pressure, and not when regenerating from lightly touching the brake.

17. Betelgeuse

Betelgeuse Active Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Regarding the steering: I think this is something that you're going to have to decide on your own. I (along with many other people here) think the steering is quite nice. However, if it feels too stiff for you, then you may not be happy with the car. Test drive a new one to make sure that it wasn't some issue with the rental car, but if the "too stiff" steering is a deal-breaker for you, the Prius may not be the car for you.

As others have noted, it is (relatively) straightforward to turn off the reverse beep.