1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Is the top mark really "too full" on the oil dipstick?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by RebL, Jul 31, 2017.

1. RebL

RebL Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Had an oil change at the dealership two weeks before leaving on a long trip. Checked the oil (and tires!) before getting on the road; it was midway between the dots. I called the dealership, as it hadn't gone more than 500 miles, and this has not been an issue before. Husband added about a 1/2 quart. Rechecked when we got back (1300 miles later), and the level is about 1cm below the top dot. Took it back into the dealership - they tell me that it's actually full where it is. "The oil needs room to expand when hot" and "if it's at the top mark it's too full." The car was hot, and I checked it after letting it sit for about 20 minutes.

Neither my husband and I have ever heard this before. On the other hand, it's a Prius, all sorts of things are different with this car. So, are they BSing me?

It's a 2009 with 167K miles. PS, I looked at the lusciousgarage.com video, and she has that Prius filled to just below the top dot.

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    no. anywhere between the dots is fine. of course, on a refill, you'd like it near the top, so there's room for consumption. some do like it a bit lower than the top, but i'm not sure why.

the interesting thing is, most complaints are about overfilling.

3. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Keep the oil at the top mark. Tiny bit overfilled is not an issue. Oil does not expand when it's hot.
    That would be a really bad thing if it did.

With a new filter the engine takes exactly 3.6 quarts. Not much oil it needs every drop.
    You have to let the car sit a long time for accurate measurement, lots of oil in the cylinder head area to service the VVT oil driven system. Takes a long time to drain back,

Check the oil first thing in the morning before starting the car. Watch it for a while. The dealer overfills the crap
    Out of a Prius which makes me think your car eats oil. It would be amazing it didn't eat oil given it's miles and is dealer serviced,

Prove me wrong. Check it first thing in the morning for a while.

M in KC and bisco like this.
  4. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    I've never seen noticeable change in the oil level, hot vs cold. And at least starting out at the top mark is good practice, you have a greater volume of oil at work, and more leeway if the engine's consuming some.

It's standard practice at an oil change, to put in the spec quantity, which should in turn set the oil level at the top mark.

5. CoastRider

CoastRider Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Your car is fine. Just drive it.

Glad you are checking your dipstick. It amazes me how some people never check their oil level. Then they come on here and complain about engine problems, after they found out the oil was below the bottom dot for a couple years. :eek: :ROFLMAO:

#5 CoastRider, Aug 1, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 1, 2017
    edthefox5 and johnjohnchu like this.
  6. douglasjre

douglasjre Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    I've put up to a qt beyond the full mark w no air impregnation and I'm running the third gen at full rpms for extended periods.

7. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    What is air impregnation?

Btw you can get it overfilled by a quart every time just have the dealer change your oil.

8. Sam Spade

Sam Spade Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    This is true but only partly.
    When you put "cold" oil into a hot engine, it only takes a couple of minutes of running for it to get "hot".

IF......they do 1000 oil changes a month, by leaving out 1/2 quart of oil, they "save" 500 quarts and up their margin.

You were right to complain. Take it to the owner.

9. johnnyb588

johnnyb588 Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    I
    Top of the line is not too full. Between the lines is not under full. Anywhere between the marks is good. Typically I try to leave mine slightly below the top mark 3/4 to 4/5 of the way to the top mark.

If you're thinking the dealer skimped, make them top it off, but your car is fine as is.

10. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Take it to what owner? It's a car dealership. They never checked the oil till 2 weeks later. It was ridiculous to even call about it, all you will get is some service advisor douche who could care less about somebody's oil change 2 weeks ago done but god knows who. She's lucky they filled it with oil.

Raytheeagle and CoastRider like this.
  11. Sam Spade

Sam Spade Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    OK, I guess you can't read anything between the lines.

NEXT oil change, check it before you leave.
    IF it is a half quart low again, demand to speak to the actual owner of the dealership to complain........as at that point it would be fairly obvious that they are doing it on purpose.

Better ??

Or.....just take whatever crap they give you and whimper away. Your choice.

johnnyb588 likes this.
  12. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    What did I miss between the lines?

You put cold oil in a hot engine it gets hot. Got it.
    And dealers are instructing there oil change monkeys to short everyone on there oil changes by one quart so they can save money. Its a conspiracy. These are people cant figure out how much it takes to begin with. Got it.
    Next oil change check it and if low demand to talk to the owner of the dealership. Got it.

13. johnnyb588

johnnyb588 Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    I
    Your hyperbole certainly isn't helping the discussion.

14. Sam Spade

Sam Spade Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    Nothing new there.

johnnyb588 likes this.
  15. RebL

RebL Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thank you all for the responses. I rechecked 9 days/500 miles later (after the car had been sitting for 12 hours), and the level had dropped another inch. I understand that I should expect an older high mileage car to consume oil, but I was surprised this would happen suddenly. Perhaps this just indicates how little I know about cars.

Could having had "high mileage oil" then synthetic then conventional cause the uptick in consumption? (I had intended to switch to synthetic. Two oil changes ago in March, I was told at the time that they would put in synthetic at their coupon price; this time I was told no, they had used conventional in March. Huh. If only I had had it in writing).

Yes, from now on I will check the level before leaving the next time I have the oil changed, though obviously, this will be elsewhere.

16. Sam Spade

Sam Spade Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    YES.
    Once you start using a "high mileage" oil you need to stick with it......and in a slightly heavier weight than recommended for "new" service.

If that inch drop represents a loss of about a quart of oil in 500 miles, you NEED to get a shop to look at it.
    Something might be drastically wrong......like a leak somewhere.

17. 05PreeUs

05PreeUs Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Oil in the Prius is to be checked with the engine at normal operating temperature (hot) while parked on level ground. It should be between the two marks. IF: at the lower mark, you can add 1/2 qt or so, if at upper mark, it is FULL. The two marks represent the "operating range" of the oil in the engine - think of it like the fuel gauge. Anything in between is good, AT either end is where we need to pay real attention.

18. 05PreeUs

05PreeUs Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    That's not accurate. In point of fact, "High Mileage" oil is nothing more than a marketing gimmick to get folks to pay more for oil. Do the oil companies change the formula? Yes, but not anything that CAN change oil consumption, help seals or anything else.

Also, ANY oil that someone tells you cannot be mixed with other oil, or you must stick with once you start.... either find a new information source, or run from that shop/garage. All engine oil is OK to use with all other oil, period.

High speed driving could be a significant contributor toe this. Make sure they check what's called the PCV system too!

19. RebL

RebL Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    High speed driving? Most weeks, I commute 150 miles total at under 40mph, then 200 miles on the highway each weekend. I rarely drive at 70mph. Mostly 58mph where the speed limit is 55, and at the limit if it's 65. No major changes in driving habits prior to noticing the uptick in oil consumption.

The PCV valve was changed Nov 2015 at 136,000 miles (currently at 169,000). A quick internet search indicates I should check the system by looking for oil in the vacuum hose. If the PCV valve is bad, should I be seeing evidence of a leak on my driveway, or blue smoke when I drive?

20. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    I've read "high mileage" oils have additives to swell rubber seals, and that if you subsequently go back to a regular oil (synth or not) the seals will shrink, with accelerated oil consumption.

Once you start with high mileage oil, best to stick with it?