1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Is the Touring Edition worth the price?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by erzweiler, Nov 6, 2007.

1. erzweiler

erzweiler New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I have not bought a Prius yet because I can't decide whether to buy the Touring Edition or the Base model. If you bought the Touring Edition, are you happy with that decision? Do you think the tuned suspension makes a noticeable difference?

Thanks.

2. swiftyprius

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(erzweiler @ Nov 6 2007, 08:36 PM) [snapback]535864[/snapback]</div>
    I don't see why anyone would need a touring edition. I bought mine for fuel economy, which means driving slow. I wanted to buy used ( even salvage ) to do an aftermarket plug-in conversion, but couldn't find one in my timeframe.

3. Boo

Boo Boola Boola Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(erzweiler @ Nov 6 2007, 08:36 PM) [snapback]535864[/snapback]</div>
    Hi erzweiler,

FYI, there was a recent thread here titled "Basic v. Touring" that discussed the same issues. Here's the link:

http://priuschat.com/index.php?showtopic=4...&hl=touring

I did not buy the Touring, but if I could have a do-over, I would.

Good luck.

4. pearsonrj

pearsonrj Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Well, obviously it doesn't make any difference to the fuel economy. So, the decision is basically whether it makes the car a better driving car. I drove the regular Prius for 2.5 years, and just got the Touring, and I'm pretty happy I did. It's more buttoned down, seems to steer more precisely, and just feels more stable. The car is clearly not a sports car by any definition, and so most people will never test the handling limits. It's a question of personal taste. I'm hoping that the slightly bigger tires will reduce the number of times the ABS or traction control kick in also, but I have nothing to prove that that will be the case.

The Tourings are much rarer, which is something else to consider, as Prii become more and more prevalent.

5. rwhoyle

rwhoyle Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    erzweiler,

I bought an '08 Touring in September and am VERY happy with the handling, feel, and ride of the model. The tuned suspension makes a big difference versus the standard model. The 16-inch wheels make a huge difference in the ride and look of the Prii. I would recommend you drive both and buy the one you like best. Me, I'm sold on the Touring model and will buy it again when the 3rd generation Prius makes its appearance.

Slide

6. apriusfan

apriusfan New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Sliderule @ Nov 6 2007, 08:00 PM) [snapback]535936[/snapback]</div>
    It really comes down to test driving the Touring and non-Touring cars back-to-back. If you are looking for a car that handles better, the Touring edition is your choice. While there are things that can be done to the non-Touring car to make it handle better (205mm tires, suspension upgrades), the Touring edition comes closer straight from the factory. I have a Touring edition and used it as a platform for a 'Sport' Touring edition (ceramic brake pads, Motegi Traklite 15 inch wheels with Michelin Pilot Exalto A/S (205/60-15) tires, and TOM'S front (upper + lower) & rear suspension braces).

Best of luck with your decision, whichever it is.

7. msirach

msirach Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    We have an 08 Touring. We traded for an 05 standard in May and the squishy suspension was my biggest complaint and that is only because I have driven cars with sport suspensions. The 16' wheels are nice also. The bigger tail I could take or leave.

8. patsparks

patsparks An Aussie perspective

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(swiftyprius @ Nov 7 2007, 11:36 AM) [snapback]535882[/snapback]</div>
    Who should determine how someone uses their Prius? I'll do it for me and you do it for you OK?
    Economy driving isn't about driving slow, it's about maintaining energy. If you can maintain momentum rather than slowing down you will save fuel, if you can corner a little faster you can use less brakes and maintain momentum. There may be a slight economy advantage in owning a touring version. Anyway, who said economical driving needs to be boring and ordinary.
    If I could have bought the touring I would. It's not available in Australia although I believe we get touring suspension but I want the bigger spoiler. :)

9. V8Cobrakid

V8Cobrakid Green Handyman

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    i test drove a touring last year. i have an 04. i wish i had trd suspension and larger wheels or the touring model. it stays pretty firm over the 04. i've driven 06's non touring... they ride nicely too.. but touring deserves that badge.

10. Neicy

Neicy Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XLE
    My touring handles way better than DH's '03 Classic. Definitely worth it for me.

11. Rangerdavid

Rangerdavid Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three Touring
    I've never driven a touring model. I have added a BT stiffening plate and now size 205 tires ( a little wider) and they have together made a good difference in the handling of the car. If the touring comes stock like this, I would certainly consider it....
    B)

12. apriusfan

apriusfan New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(patsparks @ Nov 6 2007, 11:31 PM) [snapback]536005[/snapback]</div>
    +1

If I didn't have the ability to 'tweak' the car (even the Touring edition), I may not have purchased it. My MINI is sooo much fun to drive; without the ability to fix some of the handling issues, the Prius wouldn't be fun for me. Now when I am stuck in a 2 lane parking lot, I can enjoy the scenery or just kick back and wait for the traffic to clear and not stress over gas being wasted idling. Then when the traffic clears, (especially if I am headed downhill), I can resume giving p-car and bmer drivers shocks when I hang with them in the twisties - all while getting 48 mpg. Actually, in the twisties going downhill, it is a free ride... that may be the most fun of all....

13. TerryStl

TerryStl New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(erzweiler @ Nov 6 2007, 09:36 PM) [snapback]535864[/snapback]</div>

14. Boo

Boo Boola Boola Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Consumers Reports road tested the 2004 standard/base model only.