1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Is the trunk latch the same as the Corolla?

Discussion in 'Generation 1 Prius Discussion' started by NeonTheCoder, Aug 19, 2022.

1. NeonTheCoder

NeonTheCoder New Member

Vehicle:
    2003 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    So a few months ago I got in a accident with my 2003 Prius and was unfortunate to sustain quite a bit of damage.
    One of the main issues at the moment is that I just broke the trunk latch after it was barely functioning from the accident. I can't seem to find any replacement parts online, but the Toyota Corolla trunk latch on amazon from the same year looks identical to the one in my Prius. Would I be able to to use that or are the internal mechanics that different?

Thanks!

Also if anyone knows where I could get an alignment in Washington state, for it I'd appreciate it because its been sagging on the driver side and I got a new rear axle piece but I keep getting mixed opinions from people if I just need an alignment or the suspension done, or the new axle piece put in.

2. Tombukt2

Tombukt2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    The suspension done ? What is . Replace every part till happy?

3. Tombukt2

Tombukt2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    I would try the Corolla trunk latch on the '03 this is the generation 1 obviously the last of them I don't have one of these I know on a Gen 2 absolutely not but on the one with the trunk it's quite possibly the thing. I do own 02 03 corolla's. But no 03 Prius trunk to check see if the part numbers are same or even the same series on the two latches

4. Jakob

Jakob Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2003 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I'm skeptical that would work since it looks like the 2003 Corolla has the lock cylinder in a different place (Prius center, Corolla offset). It's possible you could get something that works by combining parts from your Prius latch and a new Corolla latch, but if you haven't yet I would check eBay and car-part.com for used Prius latches.

5. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
  6. Tombukt2

Tombukt2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    Yes but the rod that will activate from the lock to the striker which is I think what he's trying to replace you should be able to easily fit the linkage maybe bend the linkage a little whatever the case may be but it looks to be very similar latch I have the Corolla here I do not have that model Prius and yes looking on eBay and online you should find this part pretty much no problem these cars are all starting to go down Gen ones that is

7. Elektroingenieur

Elektroingenieur Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three Touring
    That’s for second-generation Prius cars (model years 2004–2009, produced from September 2003).

For first-generation Prius cars (produced through August 2003), see Figure 61-05, Luggage Compartment Door & Lock, which shows that the part number for the luggage compartment door lock assembly is 64610-47020.

As far as I can tell, that part isn’t used on other vehicles, not even first-generation Prius cars built for sale in Japan or Europe, which used 64610-47010 or 64610-47011. I don’t know what the differences might be, nor whether any of these three parts is still available from Toyota dealers in any country.

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  8. NeonTheCoder

NeonTheCoder New Member

Vehicle:
    2003 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hi all, thanks for such quick responses, specifically this pictured is the damaged part:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    as you can see it bears striking resemblance to this part which is for a corolla:
    Trunk Latch Lock 64610-02071

9. Tombukt2

Tombukt2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    I would have to give that a whirl at least have to have it side by side and give it a shot it's damn close My 03 my '02 is almost like that you should look at the 02 Corolla I think that's an AE 111 and see if that is a better fit that has the part sticking down more like yours in the first picture the metal and still has the open from the inside handle and all that two 002 Corolla AE 111

10. Tombukt2

Tombukt2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    Look at 2002 corolla AE 111 I believe almost exact.

11. ammdb

ammdb Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A

Attached Files:

12. jamesprius

jamesprius Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Model:
    I
    so did you ever try the corolla one? Interested in using a corolla one as well.