1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Featured Is the Volkswagen ID4 this bad?

Discussion in 'Prius, Hybrid, EV and Alt-Fuel News' started by Georgina Rudkus, Jun 21, 2023.

1. Georgina Rudkus

Georgina Rudkus Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two

2. Isaac Zachary

Isaac Zachary Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    "Android Auto doesn't want to connect"
    Me: Bluetooth doesn't work in my 2013 Toyota Avalon even after being fixed once by a dealer!​

"My phone overheats"
    Me: Uh, sorry dude. Maybe stop using your phone while driving? Personally I just turn mine off while I'm on the road.
    "I don't like how the TPMS system works"
    Me: Ya, the TPMS light on my Toyota flashes all winter because I have winter tires on different rims and have tried to program in the new TPMS sensor ID's but haven't been able to figure it out. At least VW usually has a system that doesn't put the TPMS sensors on the rims allowing one to change over to other rims and tires whenever needed.
    "VW bans me"
    Me: Sorry dude. Maybe stop trying to cook on your phone.
    "Touch screen freezes"
    Me: My infotainment system will phantom touch the HVAC controls and turn them up and down, ON MY TOYOTA.

Me: And these are the reasons I hate (and love, but mostly hate) all new cars. I hate Bluetooth, I hate touchscreens, and I hate car problems that should be easy to work on but aren't.​

3. Salamander_King

Salamander_King Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I was interested in getting an ID.4, so I watched the entire video. But, my conclusion is that it doesn't sound so bad. Most of his complaints are software issues with infotainments and some software glitches that many first-year models experiences. If I was the owner of the car, yeah, I would be frustrated, but that can happen to any 1st year make and model with new technologies. At the price ID.4 was available back then and is available now, I still think it is a great value.

drash and PriusCamper like this.
  4. jerrymildred

jerrymildred Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    It does have some idiosyncrasies. Kyle Conner did a snow review that might interest you, @Salamander_King.

I think it's basically a pretty good car at a decent price, but there are some things about it that I find less desirable, especially the software. But it isn't any worse than the big screen controls on the 2017+ Prius Prime. :LOL:

Salamander_King likes this.
  5. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    Premium
    We looked at the id4 awhile back. We looked at it as it is available. At least it was available for MSRP .... unlike the stealership ripoff rav4prime.

6. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    It’s a vdumb, I wouldn’t trust it

7. Georgina Rudkus

Georgina Rudkus Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    Kraft durch Freude.

8. Salamander_King

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I think I have watched the video before. Yes, it has some quirks, but what new car doesn't come with some undesirable "features (a.k.a. bugs)? Excluding Bolt, it is the only BEV with a start price below $40K and qualifies for the full tax credit. Yes, value-wise, the Bolt is unbeatable, but if I want bigger cargo, better ground clearance, and maybe AWD (though AWD ID.4 trims will make the car almost as expensive as the competitors), ID.4 is very good value compared to other crossover BEVs such as Soltera, bZ4, EV6, Mach-E, etc.

But VW may not be able to use the SuperCharger network anytime soon. So for my use case, it still will be only for commuting and around town short trips. For that use, high charging specs or most driver assistance features are not necessary. I am still looking for Bolt EV in our local dealer's lot, but I don't know if I need a commuting car or not depending on my current job status.

jerrymildred likes this.
  9. FalconSeven

FalconSeven Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I have an id.4 and a niro EV, and the id.4 is definitely not as bad as the video makes it out to be. In fact, I cross shopped against a model Y, and the id.4 was absolutely better.

Especially after the 3.x software update, most of the infotainment glitches are gone.

One thing that bothers me about the video is the complaint about the phone heating up. Well... Duh. If you use navigation via the phone and take advantage of wireless charging, the phone will get hot. In any car.

Otherwise I love my id.4.

drash, jerrymildred and PriusCamper like this.
  10. PriusCamper

PriusCamper Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Thanks for watching it so I don't have to... I can't afford an EV right now but just yesterday was driving past a VW dealer and wondered how fast a transaction could happen at a VW dealer compared to other options if I somehow came into some money? I suspect because of diesal-gate VW stealerships are probably less reluctant to sell as many EVs as they can?

11. Salamander_King

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I have no personal experience with VW (car or dealership). Never owned one and never shopped one, but have seen many VW on the road. I often hear bad riffs it gets on this forum but have no idea what they are based on. The diesel-gate restitution funded our state EV incentive program which I have used three times now. So, I guess I am somewhat thankful to them. LOL

ID.4 is still on my shortlist for my first BEV shopping, but I haven't spotted one in our local dealer. The last time I looked for one, there was none in stock. But I have not looked recently. So, when I get in serious shopping mode, I will swing by the dealer. Fortunately, in our location, the Ford dealer I purchased our current vehicle, Escape PHEV, is also a VW dealer. So, I will have a chance to visit them more likely than any other dealers.

12. jerrymildred

jerrymildred Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    The Chevy/Volvo dealer I go to doesn't have any Bolts, but I saw the other day that the Volvo side had at least three C40 or XC40 Recharges. But they then to be a little more pricey. But at least they were available.

[edit to add: I think, too, that VW & the other German auto makers will be among the last to make the switch to NACS.]

Also, I came across this vid by a couple who like their id.4 but aren't totally happy with even the new software. But it does seem to be improving.

13. jzchen

jzchen Newbie!

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Don’t try to get a smog check! It may not pass!

bisco likes this.
  14. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Munro did a detailed analysis of the Ioniq 5 and has a very detailed and expensive report but they may have a 'lay' report without the detailed costing for an affordable price. Although I saw the boards holding the Ioniq 5 parts, I was there for Tesla Model 3/Y and BMW i3 information. But I noticed a pattern.

The non-Tesla EVs would have one or two excellent accomplishments over the Teslas followed by a much larger numbers of mundane. For example, a proper EV does not need a true 'firewall' because there is no gasoline fueled engine that could erupt in flames to incinerate the cabin and occupants along with a 'Pinto' gas tank.

A proper EV like the BMW i3 shown as parts at the Munro Open House, has a light weight, weather proof firewall instead of a heavy gauge, steel barrier found on overweight EVs. The 'body in white', the unpainted frame and shell is built light and simple instead of the complex, too many heavy parts, from 'traditional' manufactures. They only know one way to build and car and can't wrap their heads around designing and building an EV.

Bob Wilson

15. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    the id4's firewall weighs a ton, from what i've heard. the ioniq 5 is on serious sale right now. no one wants them?

16. bwilson4web

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    I understand from Autoline Daily that Rivian had a factory, 'parking lot sale.'

So will the reviewers who loved these lower sales EV castigate customers who bought something else ... like a Tesla?

Bob Wilson

17. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    a lot of social media is guided by wall street

18. bwilson4web

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Like watching TV, you have to choose your channel wisely.

BTW, I somehow got on an "Epic Times" mailing list that shows teasers of their content. Supermarket journalism has more credibility.

Bob Wilson

19. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    oy, that rag gets used repeatedly by the conspiracy theorists

20. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    VW opted to forgo the frunk, and use the space freed up by not having an engine to increase the cabin size. This means the engine bay is shorter front to back, giving less distance between the bumper and passengers in the event of a crash. The firewall could be for crash protection in these cars.

Pretty sure the Ioniq 5 is excluded from the federal tax credit. Hyundai likely needs to discount to compete against those that do qualify.

jerrymildred likes this.