1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Is there a connection between the brake booster and 28 batteries?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by MKENNEDY, Jan 3, 2023.

1. MKENNEDY

MKENNEDY Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I have a 2014 Edition Prius with a poor functioning brake booster which needs to change. The battery bank for the vehicle is presently deactivated (because a few cells are sub-optimal and also needs to change). I was told that the battery bank and the brake booster are related such that a brake booster will go faulty in the absence of a fully functional 28 battery pack. I am seeking clarification on whether this is true or not because I would not like to change to a new brake booster if my sub-optimal performing 28 battery pack can negatively affect it. Thanks in advance for advice on this. Regards - M.Kennedy.

2. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    What do you mean by this, exactly? Without the traction battery functioning, the car will not start. Is the car starting?

3. Tombukt2

Tombukt2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    Then You know the traction battery is failing has bad sales blah blah blah. So then change the traction battery first and see if all your problems go away are they related I would say not so much but everything in the Prius in some kind of way is related so the car not being up to par can set the same lights that look like the ABS pump and accumulator are failing or the second part in the Gen 3 which is the activator or actuator whatever You know you're going to have to do something with the HV battery so do that first You can get the parts for the brakes for your car relatively inexpensively if you're willing to buy low mileage takeouts from Asia I certainly am $200 versus over a thousand each piece 1500 possibly No no no as quick as they get changed out and what have you it's not worth anywhere near spending $1,300 more dollars to say you bought it from the Toyota dealer new not for me anyway and this is worked out very well so far so I'm going to leave it and keep getting it. Do the traction battery first going to have to do that anyway If you feel you're going to dump the car because you don't want to spend any more money and hem n haw over every little thing. You'll be able to get your money out of that new traction battery pretty quickly so no worries there or you'll get another Prius and put that traction battery in there it'll fit Gen 2 and Gen 3.

4. MKENNEDY

MKENNEDY Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hello ChapmanF and thanks for your reply. The only battery which has a few bad cells is the HV battery, The other batteries are working - the car is starting and it is being driven. Sorry for not being clear.

5. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    there's no connection between the booster and the hv battery

6. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Sometimes people call the traction battery the HV battery. It's the same battery. In your first post, you wrote that it was somehow "deactivated", but if that were so, you would not be able to drive the car. So there is still room to be more clear about what "presently deactivated" really means.

7. MKENNEDY

MKENNEDY Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thank you for your reply Mr Bisco.

Thank you Mr Tombukt2 for your reply.

#7 MKENNEDY, Jan 19, 2023
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 22, 2023