1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Is there a doctor in the house?

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by daniel, Jul 12, 2007.

1. daniel

daniel Cat Lovers Against the Bomb

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    There is so much snow here that for two days we've been mostly hiking in it. The problem is that on slopes you have to angle your foot in order to dig the edge of the shoe in, so as not to slip sideways. And this was pressing the side of the shoe into my ankle bone, so that it got so bruised that today I cannot walk ln my boot.

So my question is, can the bone be damaged from the shoe pressing on it? Or is it just the skin over the ankle that hurts so much? I am icing it today. A nurse told me I should not hike tomorrow either, even if the pain is gone.

There is no obvious swelling. Just a red patch of skin. There is no pain when I walk unless I am wearing the boots. How long until it heals? And is the same kind of walking likely to injure it again?

[attachmentid=9648]

The chalet at Durrand glacier:
    [attachmentid=9649]

Attached Files:

2. eagle33199

eagle33199 Platinum Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    While i'm not a doctor, i've seen similar injuries when hiking or skiing - in most cases a few days of rest and things start to get better. Worst case, it turns into a blister and takes a bit longer to fully heal.

I would listen to the nurses advice and stay off it for a few days, however i doubt it's anything serious or long term.

3. burritos

burritos Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Let's see a picture of your ankle.

4. daniel

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(burritos @ Jul 12 2007, 11:46 AM) [snapback]477618[/snapback]</div>
    It doesn't look like much at all, but when I put my boot on it hurts, and when I walk in the boot it hurts like the dickens.

[attachmentid=9651]

5. dbermanmd

dbermanmd New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(daniel @ Jul 12 2007, 03:10 PM) [snapback]477631[/snapback]</div>
    looks like a friction injury which will resolve over time. i would suggest the following:

1. stay off of it until it heals - do not wear shoes that come in contact with that portion of your ankle
    2. measure the red area - if it increases in size/diameter you are developing an infection of the skin - a cellulitis which can be serious and require antibiotic therapy.
    3. make sure no streaking develops - red lines on the skin heading north towards the knee - another sign of infection.
    4. when you do resume ambulation - wear two pairs of socks or increase the padding between that portion of your ankle and the boot.
    5. if you invert or evert your ankle during walking - check out getting an orthotic to even it out.

you may want to post another picture of it tomorrow am or if it gets worse.

if you need any further help call me:
    office: 212.427.2000
    i am hesitant to post my cell # here for fear of people making trouble for me but if you need it call my office number above and i will give it to you. you can also use it to send me a picture of your ankle later.

wishes for a speedy recovery
    david

6. Rae Vynn

Rae Vynn Artist In Residence

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I'm not a doctor, but my advice is to sit in that lovely chalet with your foot up, sip hot chocolate (made with soy milk? just dreaming here...), and enjoy the lovely scenery!

Isn't the alternation of hot/cold supposed to be good? Into the hot tub, out of the hot tub. Into the hot tub... repeat as needed. :)

7. eagle33199

eagle33199 Platinum Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    To add to what Berman said, i've found that duct tape can do wonders for helping to prevent injuries like this. The moment you feel a hot spot, stop. Pull out the duct tape, and put a piece directly on your skin, another on the inside of the sock, another on the outside, and finally one on the inside of your boot. The general idea is that instead of getting all that friction between your boot, sock, and skin, the layers of duct tape slide along each other much smoother, providing relief for your skin.

At any rate, it works extremely well for helping to prevent blisters due to ill fitting boots on long hikes.

8. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    ?New boots? While it's certainly possible that a bony injury could produce similar symptoms there's no mechanism to suggest that is likely. Otherwise Dr.B's suggestions sound good to me.

9. daniel

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Thanks to everyone who replied.

Whatever it is, it's not an abrasion. I've had plenty of blisters, and this was not preceded by that sort of hot spot. There's no hint of rubbing or blister. And in fact, the redness has almost disappeared.

There's no discomfort when I walk in slippers. But when I put on the boot and walk it's excruciating. I suspect an inflamed tendon. I iced it several times and took an ibuprufen. I'll see how it is in the morning.

The boots are new but I've hiked 40 or 50 miles in them including several 6-mile hikes. I believe it was the slippery snow that caused it. At first I thought it was impact of the shoe against the ankle bone, but now I think it could be the strain on the tendons of the unaccustomed twisting and slipping.

10. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(daniel @ Jul 12 2007, 10:50 PM) [snapback]477922[/snapback]</div>
    That was my original thought from your described mechanism as well. None the less, management is the same.

11. dbermanmd

dbermanmd New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(daniel @ Jul 12 2007, 11:50 PM) [snapback]477922[/snapback]</div>
    A tendon strain should not produce the redness evident on the picture you posted. Also, tendon or ligament strains tend not to mend so quickly and they also tend not to be as quickly exacerbated as you describe or set off by only by one type of footwear and not another type - slipper vs. boot. It is probably a local reaction to friction - just my guess.

I would caution against too much motrin intake - thats how i put my first kid through college :) If you need to take it on a regular basis add a little pepcid or prilosec for a few days. You are best off letting it heal completely, and then trying to add padding to protect that portion of your ankle from the boot. I put new leather products like baseball gloves and boots under my mattress for a few days to soften them up a bit. The duct tape idea is also a good approach. either way, as long as the redness does not increase in size and /or there is no red streaking up from the ankle towards the knee you are ok.

i love the pictures - keep posting them. i hope one day to visit that part of the country and be able to have enough time to hike and bike it.

again, if you have any issues and need real time help... my office # is 212.427.2000. i can give you my cell # and you could always send pictures to it if it changes over the weekend. I am leaving here around noon time to go to our little shack in the Berkshires (Western, MA) for the weekend for some hiking and kayaking and just general resting ...... 5 hours 15 minutes to departure time........ cant wait.........

be well.

David

12. daniel

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Thanks Evan and David.

This morning the redness is all gone. It might have been from the ice and have nothing to do with the pain. In a while, after I do my yoga/stretching I'll put the boots on and see if I can walk. There is no discomfort without them on.

A guide here says her ankles swell up painfuly every year, and she walks through it and after a week she's fine. I'm too much of a wimp for that. Pain hurts.

I only took the one ibuprufen. I would not take more than one a day.

13. dbermanmd

dbermanmd New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(daniel @ Jul 13 2007, 09:00 AM) [snapback]478035[/snapback]</div>
    a pleasure.

do not confuse dependant edema with what you have. by all means stretch and dont forget the calf muscle stretches. i would recommend if you do go out hiking to carry another pair of shoes just in case for the first day or say.

you should never walk through pain, especially if it relates to lower extremity swelling - you must be concerned about blood clots in that situation - and they are potentially deadly.

sidebar: it might be an idea to take one or two baby aspirins for a few days - i take a baby aspirin every mon-friday with my centrum a-z and a b-complex - and i let my body rest on the weekends.

be well, enjoy the scenery

david

14. Darwood

Darwood Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Quite bold of you to post your digits Dr. B.
    No one can accuse you of being a teenage troll anymore!

15. daniel

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    This morning I tried the boots with extra padding over the ankle. It hurt, but less than without the padding. I also tried my jogging shoes, and there was no discomfort at all. However I cannot walk on snow with them, and there is still a lot of snow.

I have no swelling at all and have not had any.

The shower house and sauna:
    [attachmentid=9667]

16. dbermanmd

dbermanmd New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Darwood @ Jul 13 2007, 10:01 AM) [snapback]478063[/snapback]</div>
    always have dedicated myself to helping others.

i hope people wont take advantage of this for ill purposes

call me a little naive

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(daniel @ Jul 13 2007, 10:23 AM) [snapback]478073[/snapback]</div>
    looks beautiful there

if you could, post a picture of the ankle

i would suggest not to hike in those boots if there is still ANY pain whatsoever. it seems to be generated by the boots themselves - you might consider exchanging them if possible or get a pair of nike hiking shoes/boots.

remember i am leaving the office at noon today.

be well
    david

17. galaxee

galaxee mostly benevolent

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    i can sympathize with foot injuries/foot pain. my solution was to stay away form using whatever hurts. sounds like your boots don't fit right or something, were they new when this first started?

18. daronspicher

daronspicher Active Member

Dr....

That's really cool you can chip in with medical advice when we really need it. I hope you won't mind hearing my symptoms and offering a little something if you can.

I have this tremendous pain in my backside... just below the beltline about 4 inches...

I'm almost sure it started when my state senator declared himself to be a candidate for the democratic presidential nomination a few months ago. Ever since then, I open up the news online and get this sharp pain in the backside.

Any ideas on how to make it go away?

:lol: :lol:

Cool pictures of the backwoods on this thread.. thanks for posting them, hope the ankle is better soon so you can go out and get into it.

19. Darwood

Darwood Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Troll! (10 yard penalty for baiting)
    Don't try to sucker Dr. B into resuming that role, that's your job now!

20. hycamguy07

hycamguy07 New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Darwood @ Jul 13 2007, 11:06 AM) [snapback]478095[/snapback]</div>
    Jeeze I was waiting for the Peanut gallery to start in on the good Dr. :rolleyes: :mellow: