1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Is there a LOUD turn signal flasher for 2018 Prime

Discussion in 'Prime Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by IABoy987, Jun 13, 2020.

1. IABoy987

IABoy987 Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    With all the fancy Prime computer do-dads and options, you would think that there would be an option to have an audible beep that sounds when car goes say 200-500 feet after turn signal lever is pushed. How hard would that be with the audio and navigation stuff to add a sound beep. After all, my car already beeps, chimes, and whistles etc every time something is "out of place".

In lieu of that, is there a loud clicker relay that can replace the one in the Prime, or has that relay been replaced by a computer module?? :rolleyes: And if its replaceable where is the flasher hidden in car? I googled loud flasher relays and there are alot, just need to find the correct Prime replacement type if available.

2. Salamander_King

Salamander_King Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    The turn signal click volume is customizable by using CARISTA. I think the default is "low", so you could make is lauder. I looked for this customization in the owner's manual but could not find it. So, I am not sure if TechStream can do the same or not.

Screenshot 2020-06-13 at 8.02.57 PM.png

illumiN8i and IABoy987 like this.
  3. IABoy987

IABoy987 Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    From google search:
    "Carista is a mobile app which empowers you to seamlessly diagnose, customize, and service your car. Just plug in your OBD2 adapter, launch the app and save time and money on dealers and mechanics."

For me, might be simpler and "cheaper" to inquire if Toyota dealer can do this on 2018 Prime than to fuss with buying the OBD2 adapter and downloading an app to my would-have-to buy&learn-a-smartphone, just then learn if there was an adjustable beep function. :(

But that is just me, your mileage may vary.......

pghyndman likes this.
  4. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    a dealer can do it easily, and should really do it for free as goodwill, since you just purchased the car recently

IABoy987 likes this.
  5. IABoy987

IABoy987 Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    [start rant]
    Googling how to make flasher louder, I found various Prius Chat threads about flasher volume issue response that were somewhat off putting. Some suggests get your hearing tested, get hearing aids, get ear way removed you'll hear flasher now, if you're missing the bright flashing light indicator maybe you're getting feeble and should give up your license, etc.

I maybe too sensitive, but those comments are uncalled for in my humble opinion. For the record, I am 70+ been driving since 16, have never had an accident. I have been partially deaf since birth, wear an expensive set of top of the line hearing aids, but still don't hear the Primes flasher and neither does my pitch perfect musician wife, unless car in garage dead silent.. Suggest those snarkies with 20/20 hearing, plug up their ears for a day or week to understand what us deafies endure.
    No apologies expected, or flaming responses, just commenting what I found on this board
    [end of rant]

That being said, I did find a helpful thread from Elektroingenieur that I quote here:
    "For later readers, note that on fourth-generation Prius and Prius Prime cars, the volume can be customized using a Toyota Techstream diagnostic system (or equivalent). The setting is Meter/Gauge System > Flasher Sound Volume Adjustment, and according to the Repair Manual (more info), there are three levels: “Large,” “Medium,” or “Small.” Medium is the default.

#13 Elektroingenieur, Nov 21, 2019 "

Per Bisco's suggestion above, I have e-mailed one of the dealership service person and await reply about the change/cost.

6. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i'll have a large please :p