1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Is there a market for a Lexus edition Prius?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by JeffHart, Aug 12, 2005.

1. JeffHart

JeffHart New Member

Sorry if this has been discussed, hashed, rehashed & trashed, did a site search and a google search and didn't find an existing thread.

For discussion, would you consider a Lexus version of the Prius? Figure an additional $7K to $10K cost (the ES is about 7K over the highest priced Camry trim package) and about 5% worse fuel efficiency.

The body style would have to change a bit - maybe add a functional rear spoiler like the BT spoiler and decrease the slope of the roof towards the back to allow more room for a moonroof.

Other upgrades would include heated/cooled leather power seats, wood cabin trim, better sound insulation, better sound system - better speakers, ability to play MP3 and an iPod jack, slightly heavier construction to get the luxury car 'chunk' sound when you close the doors.

And of course the cachet of an L logo instead of a T logo 8)

Would prefer no HP increase, but any MPG increase would be good. I've figured that there would probably be a 5% loss in efficiency due to weight, but that's just a SWAG.

Picturing a Lexus HS200 MSRP 34K with EPA 57 city, 48 highway, 52 combined fully loaded.

Would you? Should you?

I think I'd be very tempted.

Cheers,
    Jeff

2. wstander

wstander New Member

In parts of SoCal, that would sell very well!

While we are at it, how about a true biodiesel-electric van/suv/truck? We are supposedly running out of gas, but garbage ferments forever!

3. JeffHart

JeffHart New Member

I'm thinking it would sell well in the DC area also, there's a great deal of car snobbery - probably common across the US. Besides us mid-aged folks like our creature comforts.

A fleet solution would be a good start - centralized fueling for a mass transit system, etc.

Wouldn't a biodiesel/hybrid garbage truck make a lot of sense? They could put a conversion plant on site.

Cheers,
    Jeff

4. wstander

wstander New Member

I just recalled what we did with the solid effluvia aboard my last two warships: co-feed to the waste-heat boilers to provide hotel power and auxilliary electric...

In my neighborhood, they already run 3 different collections: recycle, conventional, and construction site waste bins. In other places, citizens are required to sort the trash in some way, so adding garbage only could work as well.

Add a Lexus badge and get some Hollywood type to hype it....

5. prius04

prius04 New Member

Remember when GM came out with a small Cadillac? The Caddy was based upon the frame from another branch of GM. It was some Chevy.

That car tanked because it was such a "pretend" luxury car.

As for the Prius, the Prius is made by Toyota and the Lexus is another division of Toyota, so if they made a Lexus version it would be not unlike what GM did. So I think it would be bad marketing on Toyota's part.

On the other hand, the idea of super luxury hybrid that seats 5 is a great idea. I wouldn't buy one, but I'm sure many would get sold. But they should make it from the ground up and not just adapt the Prius. Of course, the looks of the Prius are to a significant extant constained by the rules of aerodynamics. So any car with similar aerodynamics would have to have a similar look.

But to modify the Prius for a Lexus, I think that would be bad marketing.

And you know what? I suspect Toyota Lexus is already well along on a project just like you describe. And very high end luxury passenger car hybird to hold 5-ish passengers..

6. JeffHart

JeffHart New Member

Isn't this was Lexus has been doing with the ES & Camry since the ES was introduced? Hasn't seem to have impacted their branding the way the Cadillac did with the Opel-based Catera. Cadillac also didn't do well trying to extend there brand upwards with the Pininfarina built Allante.

I hope a more efficient model than the GS450h, love my Prius, but would love it more with a bit more bling 8)

Cheers,
    Jeff

7. wstander

wstander New Member

You are probably correct on the Lexus project 5 passenger car. The Cadillac Cimmaron analogy can be countered by a more similar Opel to Cadillac Catera (now just CTS) comparison. The Cimmaron was based on the lowest j-car platform...

In any case, notice that Toyota has ceased production of both the MR2 and the entire Celica series. Perhaps Toyota plans Prius-based HSD versions of those 'sporty-types'. In view of the model specific limits concerning tax incentives etc. it behooves manufacturers to expand model lines.

And, just as the 1970s Cadillac Seville and Chevrolet Nova shared parts (I worked the combo production line in Kalamazoo then), what is under the body often is shared even today. (how different are the Lexus and Toyota models 'under the skin' ?)

8. randalla

randalla Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Chevrolet made the incredibly different and innovative Corvair in the '60's which was completely different from anything else that Chevy or GM had ever tried marketing before. After noting the initial acceptance of the base coupe and sedan in 1960, Chevy expanded the Corvair line starting in 1961 to include trucks, vans, station wagons and later on, convertibles and turbocharged variants.

Hopefully, after seeing the marketing success of the Prius, Toyota will look at the Prius as a separate line in itself and perhaps expand it to include a Prius wagon, coupe, etc.

9. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    The next MR2 will most likely have an HSD option coupled with the (possibly) 1.8 litre engine.

Jeff, your idea of a Lexus Prius is a good one. However, I would think an even more distinct style would be needed. (Think about the failture of the IS300 SportCross). It would be a great alternative to those who want the Lexus name, need the versatility but don't want to drive an RX/GX/LX. However, I do think they'll need to bump the engine size to at least 1.8-2.0 litres. That way, they can get the unwritten rule of luxury power (~200hp maybe) with a more powerful battery pack, yet retain the fuel efficiency of an Echo/Yaris/Vitz. Although, they must do something about silencing the engine noise when the CVT revs up the engine.

10. prius04

prius04 New Member

What a cool idea!!!

11. priusenvy

priusenvy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Lexus is just a brand that Toyota uses in the US and a few other countries. Until very recently (like this year), there was no Lexus brand in Japan, and the Lexus LS430 was sold as the Toyota Celsior, the Lexus RX330 was sold as the Toyota Harrier, and the Lexus GS300 was sold as the Toyota Aristo. Toyota is just now using the Lexus brand in Japan, opening brand new showrooms, etc (according to a Wall Street Journal article I read a few months ago). The German luxury car manufacturers are able to charge much higher prices than Toyota, and Toyota believes they're leaving money on the table by not selling their premium models under a separate luxury brand.

It's already been pointed out that the RX330 and Highlander share the same underpinnings, as do the Camry and ES330.

$7K would be a steep premium for me. I'd be willing to pay up to $5K more for better seats, a Mark Levinson stereo, better sound insulation, and a more luxurious cabin.

The Cimmaron was a failure not because it shared a platform with Chevrolets and Pontiacs, but because it just sucked in general. Had they been able to build a car that met higher luxury and performance standards, like Lexus has with the ES, RX, and GX (all shared platforms with Toyota models), no one would have cared that the platform was shared with less expensive models.

12. Godiva

Godiva AmeriKan Citizen

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Why not just incorporate all that high end stuff into a Prius and make it a package 7 and charge bucks for it?

I don't think a "T" or an "L" is going to affect it that much.

13. jeromep

jeromep Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Anyone remember the Lincoln Versaille? I can't say I remember it, but I knew of one in town, when I was growing up. Saw it on the street every now and then. Not a bad looking car, but it looked more like a Granada or Monarch with nicer trim and one of those 70s Ford continental kit trunk lids grafted on it. The problem with taking an existing platform and making it into a luxury car is that you have to make significant ride and performance improvement, along with interior improvements before you can really sell it as a luxury car.

If the Prius were to be moved over to Lexus, it would require major ride tuning, many additional luxury features, standard. Improved trim and color schemes. Leather. Etc, etc. A little different sheet metal, differently shaped dash and I think it would sell. Everyone would know it was built off Prius, but the look and feel should be different enough to convince somebody to pay a $7000 premium.

14. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    It'll need a better suspension (torsion beam won't work in a luxury vehicle) and better standard tyres. I can't imagine the Prius with chrome trim though, even Toyota's subtle chrome trim.

15. wstander

wstander New Member

Which was why Cadillac adopted the Opel platform for the Catera and the the 'Sigma' for the current CTS, STS, and SRV

16. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    There was nothing wrong with the Opel/Vauxhall Omega. I have no idea why, when rebadged as the Catera, it failed. All I know is that it's one heck of a heavy car but other than that, it was well equipped and priced.

17. wstander

wstander New Member

Who clains that the Catera failed? AFAIK, Cadillac simply changed the name to CTS to fall in line with their new naming convention of being Cadilllac first, then models CTS, STS, DTS, replacing the old names of Catera, Seville, deVille.

Appearance wise, the original Catera looked too much like a Saturn from the rear, or at least to my eyes;-0

18. JeffHart

JeffHart New Member

My mistake - I mixed up the Catera and the Cimmaron.

Cheers,
    Jeff

19. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Well, sales figures weren't up to expectations so they replaced it in 02 with the CTS. I suppose the CTS is more in line with Cadillac's new edgy styling. Honestly, if they stopped rebadging and just import the car under the original name, it'll probably sell better for what its worth (Holden Monaro -> Pontiac GTO 5.7 is another example)

20. Eisenson

Eisenson New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    I have a sort of luxury edition. It's not a Lexus, but...

Immediately after getting mine (Oct 03) I had deluxe leather installed, including a matching "dog run" front-to-rear for my 28# German Pinscher. I also installed a lot of instrumentation, improved audio, some appearance features, mats, and silencing.

When the Ferrari badge fell off I put a Mustang logo on the rear panel, and other logos and stick-ons have been removed. The license plate is modded to fit within the front grille, side trim matches the paint, minor pinstriping, high quality tinting, and overall it looks much nicer than the standard edition - inside and out.

I've had the CEOs of major corporations as passengers, and they're duly impressed. Perhaps a bit less so now that there are many of these around, but in the first six months it was more prestigious than a Mercedes AMG.

Two colleagues just took delivery of the Lexus 400H, a hybrid hot rod that gets 22mpg. They like it, but at $60k?

I'm satisfied with my Prius - even gloating - especially with fuel at $3/gallon. And in a few weeks I'll drive the HOV lanes, alone!