1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Is there a Mod for viewing folders on the MFD?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Accessories & Modifications' started by bobby dukes, Aug 4, 2006.

1. bobby dukes

bobby dukes New Member

It's really frustrating that I can't view the folders of my MP3 CD while the car is moving, as the controls are all greyed out. I think this is safety overkill by Toyota to protect us drivers from ourselves! Didn't they think that perhaps we are adults and can make our own choices, or even if their logic makes sense, my wife sitting next to me and isn't driving, can't view the folder options either.

Is there a Mod for viewing our music folders while driving?

Bob
    Woodstock, GA
    2006 Prius #3

2. walt

walt New Member

Bel Air, MD, USA -=- Blair, Merlin, Merka
    Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(bobby dukes @ Aug 4 2006, 07:33 PM) [snapback]297969[/snapback]</div>
    Bob - you have a 2007??? How about a 2006?

As of right now, no software solution has been found.

There is another solution, but it requires cutting wires. Behind the A/C vent cover to the right of the MFD is two purple wires. The top wire is the speed sensor for the NAV, and the lower is for the BT. You cut them and install a switch on each. Then you (or rather, your passenger) flips the switch off, enters the information, and flips it back on. Some have installed a magnetic switch so by moving a magnet you can enter information. That's very inconspicuous.

Take a look at http://www.darelldd.com/ev/prius_speed_wire.htm (scroll to the bottom) to see where the wires are.

3. Lil Mo

Lil Mo New Member

Walt is correct - that is the only known solution at this point - the good news is that it gives you access to other functions as well (Nav, Bluetooth, etc..)

I have found that the system is also too slow to allow you to search folders while at a stop light. However, you can use the control buttons on the steering will to quickly punch through songs and folders to get down to where you think a song might be.

Rock on! :)

4. mtsarpilot

mtsarpilot Junior Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(walt @ Aug 4 2006, 05:54 PM) [snapback]297986[/snapback]</div>
    I am planning to have at that BT purple wire next weekend when I get some time. Is the MP3 player cutoff run by the BT lower wire or the NAV upper wire? I have a package 6 so no NAV.

Thanks,

Joel

5. aaf709

aaf709 Ravenpaw of ThunderClan

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(mtsarpilot @ Aug 6 2006, 04:10 PM) [snapback]298755[/snapback]</div>
    My guess it that the lower wire will be the one to cut (and a switch added). I've found that if you are listening to FM, and the "MSG" button lights up, you can read the message if the BT wire is to the "Off" position. Since the BT wire controls that function of the radio, it should control the other.

Be sure you put a switch in. That wire is also responsible for the "5-minute" bars of the Consumption screen and the wheels on the Energy screen. By turning that wire to "off," it makes the computer think that the Prius is stopped.

6. darelldd

darelldd Prius is our Gas Guzzler

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(mtsarpilot @ Aug 6 2006, 04:10 PM) [snapback]298755[/snapback]</div>
    Mine is a package six as well. Following my pictures for the purple wire behind the MFD show the correct purple wire FOR SURE. As for the two wires behind the vent - you want the lower one - pin 25. I don't think the NAV one will do anything on our cars... but it is there for consistency. And if you really aren't sure, use a DP switch, and wire 'em both up.