1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Is there a mp3 file size limitation for the USB drive audio playback?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by CaliforniaBear, Aug 7, 2015.

1. CaliforniaBear

CaliforniaBear Clearwater Blue Metallic

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I presently use a 16GB USB drive that has about 240 MB of 2 to 10 MB mp3 files and it works well. The reason I ask is that SirisXM is going to drop my favorite channel (69) and I was thinking of making some large files of audio capture before it goes away. Large because its easier to make and play a few than many. There might be a file size limitation (not USB storage limitation) due to the amount of memory in the audio system.

2. qdllc

qdllc Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    No clue, but I suppose if you want to attach mp3 files together into larger files, you could test and find out.

3. CaliforniaBear

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I just made a 90 minute file, 134 MB and it works well. I guess its smart enough to just load what is needed to play. Or maybe not :) I'll try a larger one later.

4. qdllc

qdllc Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Keep in mind that, at least on the Prius Two, there's no "jog" capability within a file, so you can't zip forward or back within a track/file.

5. CaliforniaBear

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Yes. That would be nice to have. However, what I'm doing is recording SiriusXM channel 69 "Escape" that will be gone as of Thursday. We listen to it most of the time and you can't "jog" that either :) The good news is that you can switch to another source and return to USB or turn the car off/on and the playback will pickup where it left off so you don't keep starting at the beginning all the time. I just completed a 3 hour recording 265 MB recording which turns out is the longest the Windows 10 recorder will do in one file.

6. qdllc

qdllc Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    If you have a sound file editor, you can break a recording into smaller tracks. That would help some.

7. CaliforniaBear

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I think you missed the point. Its large files that I want so it can play just like the satellite feed does now. I just wanted to make sure it didn't restart the file if you changed to some other source or turned the car off. It doesn't and that's good. If I wanted smaller files I would just record smaller files :) Anyway it all has to get done today because tomorrow Escape is gone.

8. qdllc

qdllc Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    IIRC, if you switch out of USB playback mode then go back in, I've always had it resume where it left off. I make it a point to leave USB mode between songs so I don't have to back up when it starts up again.

9. CaliforniaBear

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Or if you do it randomly its just like tuning in and out of a channel which is my plan. The channel went off the air on Dish at noon today which is where I'm getting the audio. I have 17.5 hours on the USB drive, that should be enough.