1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Is there a prices paid sticky? I cant find the Post on Price.

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by priusmaybe, Apr 28, 2007.

1. priusmaybe

priusmaybe New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    I need help. The dealers are confusing me with Invoice Price and MSRP

One today told me he can't sell below invoice - that no Toyoto dealer could.

2. Betelgeuse

Betelgeuse Active Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Here's a general rule: if a dealer ever says (about anything), "No Toyota dealers can do that," they're lying. It is possible to find cars being sold below invoice, but most will agree that such a price is an extraordinary deal (at least on the Prius). It basically comes down to the price you're willing to pay and how much you like individual dealers. I'd certainly be willing to pay a few hundred over invoice if I found a dealer that I thought was honest and reasonable.

3. onlynark

onlynark Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    its currently not uncommon to get 2500 and even 3000 below MSRP. My dad got 2500 below MSRP with 0% financing for 24 months.

4. priusmaybe

priusmaybe New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Is a discount off of invoice different than discount off of MSRP

Also the car I saw today had

MSRP
    Package Price

Addons

Total

5. Betelgeuse

Betelgeuse Active Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(priusmaybe @ Apr 28 2007, 12:10 AM) [snapback]431554[/snapback]</div>
    Yes. Invoice is NOT the same as MSRP. If you buy a car for MSRP, the dealer/salesperson is making a large profit. If you buy a car for Invoice, the dealer/salesperson is making very little money. In theory, Invoice is the price that the dealer pays Toyota for the car, so they'd make zero money if you bought the car at invoice. In reality, "Invoice" is not the true cost of the car, but something relatively close to it. Also, if there are are incentives to the dealer (i.e. "$1000 Dealer Incentive"), the dealer can afford to sell below invoice. MSRP is (usually) at least a few thousand dollars above invoice.

A "fair price" is highly subjective, but it's somewhere between Invoice and MSRP (probably closer to Invoice).

EDIT: Ah yes. And add-ons. Make sure that your add-ons are reasonable things. Reasonable add ons are things like the state registration fee (you could do it yourself, but then you'd have to deal with the DMV; yuck). Unreasonable add-ons are things like "Dealer Prep" or some of the "Document Fees."

6. ESanders2

ESanders2 New Member

I'm buying my car for 300 under invoice, which is about the same as 2500 off MSRP. And there are lots of places right now that will sell Prius that cheap. It's much easier to get big discounts when you are buying a fully loaded or high package though, b/c there's more profit and less value in those cars, more fluff and less meat. So a big discount on a Package 1 or 2 is a better deal than the same discount on a Package 5 or 6.