1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Is there a radar cruise control mod to make it useful in stop and go traffic?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Accessories and Modifications' started by Balt, May 16, 2016.

1. Balt

Balt Junior Member

One of the biggest gripes I've had with my Gen III is the radar cruise control cutoff at 39km/h (25ish mph). Especially in stop and go traffic it would seem that this is exactly what radar cruise control is made for - if it didn't deactivate. I went to test drive a Tesla the other day which does that and more with its autopilot. After that experience I googled around a bit and found several other radar cruise control vehicles that apparently do just that.

So, given there apparently are numerous other cars out there that do not deactivate radar cruise control at the point where it is most useful, surely there's a simple Bosch module we can replace in our Gen III Priuses to remain activated? That would be a hell of a lot cheaper than buying a Tesla... :)

2. alanclarkeau

alanclarkeau Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Many cars have it cheaper than TESLA.

In the cheaper range, the 2016 Prius has Radar Cruise down to 0km/hr (on base model in Australia), Mazda 3 offers it on their top model, Ford has it coming on the base Focus in 6 weeks time in the form of a "Technology Pack", Subaru offers it on models with "EyeSight" technology, KIA Optima GT, top model Camry petrol or Hybrid (and VW Golf if you could put up with their horrid pretend jerky gearbox - impossible to drive smoothly in stop-start traffic) - and others.

In more expensive ranges, Lexus, Volvo, Mercedes, Genesis, BMW and Audi have models with Radar Cruise much cheaper than Tesla.

3. Balt

Balt Junior Member

Thanks for the list. I was of course looking for a less expensive option than to upgrade to a new Prius. But, the cruise control module from the 2016 model might be able to be swapped out with the 2010? Pretty sure it's an off the shelf Bosch module?

4. I'mJp

I'mJp Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    Three
    I seriously doubt that the software between radar and car would be compatible.

alanclarkeau likes this.
  5. mrbigh

mrbigh Prius Absolutum Dominium

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    We are talking about hardware and software specific to a car specific model trim.
    Wouldn't happen........

alanclarkeau likes this.
  6. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    The software relies on the camera so you may need more than just the software. You may also need the upgraded radar.