1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Is there a way to make a standard Prius have plug in capabilities

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by stefano5777, Apr 26, 2011.

1. stefano5777

stefano5777 Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Just wondering if anyone has tried or has heard of someone converting there Prius into a Phev without adding an upgrade kit. I drive the first 1 1/2 miles to and from home at speeds of 25 mph and on the way home there are no stop signs so I am in ev mode almost whole way which is a mpg booster but it drains the battery. Then when I leave it is usually next day or few hours later which results in crap fuel economy on way out. I have tried other driving styles but usually when I leave home ice is cold so motor runs regardless. But if I had a fresh battery charge using Coastal ev upgrade I would be able to increase fuel Eco!

2. GrumpyCabbie

GrumpyCabbie Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
  3. Flaninacupboard

Flaninacupboard Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I haven't seen anyone do it, and i would not reccomend it. Here's why.

You are proposing to charge a very large Nimh battery. You have two choices. A) Charge it with the car not in Ready mode, and supply all your own protection. B) Charge it in Ready mode, wasting a significant amount of energy (the car consumes ~200 watts while sat in Ready, so your charger must supply more than this) and a big security risk (anyone could just get in and drive away.

DO NOT DO OPTION A!
    If something goes wrong and your charger does not shut down the battery will get overcharged, expand, vent and eventually ignite. Venting will probably write off the car.

Option B, if your car is somewhere secure and you can supply it with ~2kw of 240V DC power you can charge from 2 bars to 8 bars in about 10-15 minutes. if you don't turn it off at this point it will then start spinning the engine to burn of the excess power, so you either need something monitoring the SOC to shut it down at 75%, (and turn off the car) or you need to sit with it while it charges and shut down at the appropriate time.

It's certainly possible, but i think the caveats are too many. A small capacity plugin kit may be a better solution for you.

4. seilerts

seilerts Battery Curmudgeon

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    There are ways, but it is all do-it-yourself and is hazardous. Primarily Honda Insight modders have fabricated HV power supplies by daisy-chaining ATX computer power supplies, or MeanWell 48V supplies. For them, they get an added benefit of rebalancing the battery pack, for which the Honda BCM is horrible. But they only charge to 175V. Gen II needs to charge to maybe 245V. You may also be able to find a lab HV power supply on ebay.

I have tried other driving styles but usually when I leave home ice is cold so motor runs regardless.

Perhaps installing an engine block heater to plug in and/or the Arduino temperature hack would improve things?

5. FirstFlight

FirstFlight Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I looked into this for quite some time but I always came back to the thought, "this just isn't worth it." My reasons for that are:

1. It's dangerous to charge the battery yourself, especially if you don't know what you are going.

2. You will never recoup the cost it would take to find a good charger.

3. This can decrease the life of the battery.

4. Maybe not for you but for me, sometimes I get home with only three bars gone. This leaves me to charge the battery 2-3 bars, which isn't much in terms of saving gas money.

I agree with Seilerts here. An engine block heater really does save gas and is a good mod to do.

6. stefano5777

stefano5777 Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    So then what your are saying is it's not a good idea ? :)

7. MJFrog

MJFrog Active Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    N/A

They're saying (and I agree) that to mod the HV battery so it can be charged directly is NOT a good idea.

The alternative I've taken is to purchase the Enginer 2kwh kit (price varies, but I paid ~$2000). With the car running--in Park and EV mode on--and the Enginer charger plugged in, I can charge the 2kwh kit + the HV battery from ~56% SOC to 75% in about 45 mins from a standard 120v outlet.

Avoid going higher, but it won't destroy the HV battery to do so...don't go above 80%, although I've gone to 82% a couple of times when I forgot to check it.

8. stefano5777

stefano5777 Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thank you guys for all the info I spoke to my local enginer distributor and am having the 4kw kit installed next Wednesday latest version for 2892 installed. I believe this is a good price feel free to chime in if you disagree

9. FirstFlight

FirstFlight Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Seems like a great price to me.

10. uart

uart Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Yes compared with what you were trying to do with EV mode getting that conversion sounds like a good plan stefano.

The problem is that what you were trying to do with EV mode just wasn't working for you. You may think that it's increasing your MPG by trying to drive a mile and a half in EV mode but in reality it was just punishing both your engine (ICE) and your battery the next morning as well as negating any fuel savings you made he previous day.

I've tried using EV like that and very soon came to the conclusion that it doesn't work. Now days I always try to get he car home with a full 6 bars state of charge. It just runs so much better next time I'm starting out with a cold engine.

11. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I'm not fan of of aftermarket PHEV kits, but that's just me. Based on some of my random browsing here before, I wouldn't recommend Enginer. It seems too hacky and unreliable. See http://priuschat.com/forums/prius-p...product-quality-april-2011-a.html#post1294825, for example and spend time browsing Prius PHEV Plug-In Modifications - PriusChat Forums. http://priuschat.com/forums/prius-phev-plug-in-modifications/91704-enginer-kit-question.html was FirstFlight's thread. :)

It sounds like HyMotion is a lot more reliable but very costly. It was reliable enough to alllow achievements likehttp://priuschat.com/forums/gen-ii-prius-fuel-economy/65307-2502-miles-299mpg-in-prius-ii-plug-in-hybrid-electric-vehicle.html and it's used by RechargeIT.org.

BTW, this is what can happen charging extra NiMH packs goes awry.
    http://priuschat.com/forums/gen-ii-...ack-voltages-grid-charging-4.html#post1291061
    http://priuschat.com/forums/gen-ii-...e-mod-under-way-bristol-uk-32.html#post885615
    http://hiwaay.net/~bzwilson/prius/pri_batt.html (search for don't use manual)

12. stefano5777

stefano5777 Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Well after extensive communication with my local enginer installer who has been installing these kits since 2009 he has assured minimal down time with kit.Also has included 1 year labor free to go along with 2 years parts that enginer gives and with my job paying me mileage the way they are I figure it is worth the shot.
    I also believe that for 3k compared to 14k for hymotion kit if I had to buy a new kit every couple of years I hope enginer can make the needed improvements over that time period.

13. uart

uart Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Yeah the price is right. :D

Stefano, if you could update us with your opinion of how well the conversion works after you've had it for a few weeks that would be great. I'm sure you'll be shooting for a 1000 mile tank now. :)

14. stefano5777

stefano5777 Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I will definitely keep everyone posted on the progress reliability and fuel economy of conversion. As I previously posted scheduled to drop car off next Wednesday and was told should be done tested and ready for pickup 24 hours later.And yes my first Goal I have set for myself with conversion is a 1,000 mile tank!

15. Flaninacupboard

Flaninacupboard Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    1,000 mile tank is definitely possible, but even with no system failures since 29th of march i cannot average much above 83mpg(US), mainly because of my commute (60mph up and down some decent hills). What you should really look for is a 50% boost in fuel economy.

16. stefano5777

stefano5777 Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    First goal will be to take a photo of 1000 mile tank then next site will be to avg 100mpg+ I commute mostly on the beaches in Pinellas county Fl say 75% of my drive is 35mph 20% at 45 mph and 5% above those speeds.
    So I believe I should be able to utilize this system to its fullest. My wifes
    daily commute is 26 miles round trip at speeds that never exceed 35mph.
    We are looking into buying her a prius and doing the conversion as well.

17. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Uhh... unless your wife is very tolerant of failures, you'd better complete a few 1000+ mile trips w/o failure first.

18. stefano5777

stefano5777 Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I take it cwerdna you are anti enginer! I was given phone numbers of a few people who have kit installed locally and of 3 I have spoken to only one has had any problems in last 5 months from kit hopefully I will be as lucky as you would say.

19. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I suppose so. Again, I have no interest in these kits. If I did, I'd get HyMotion.

Seriously, browse through Prius PHEV Plug-In Modifications - PriusChat Forums. I would be very curious to see if your experiences prove me wrong.

20. stefano5777

stefano5777 Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Again hopefully you are wrong :) In a perfect world I to would purchase the Hymotion but the cost of system does not make sense to me. I guess
    I have no problem being somewhat of a test subject for the ability to achieve 100+ mpg tanks of fuel.