1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Is there a way to mod a 230v 1000w outlet?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by gummih, Jun 10, 2011.

1. gummih

gummih New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I'm hoping to put a regular 230v AC outlet into my Prius.

For low wattage, I could just buy a 12v/230v inverter but I want to be able to power stuff like a 1000w heater.

I could still rig a 1000w 12v/230v inverter but I would much further find a way to convert the Prius High Voltage power (~200v DC) to a 230V AC outlet without any wasteful 12v-48v down-converting.

Hasn't this been done - is there a kit or tutorial or something for this? (I haven't found anything)

(A 200v DC -> 115v AC inversion would also be interesting)

2. xs650

xs650 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    That would require some custom electrical work, preferable by someone who knows what they are doing:D

They would also need to understand the Prius high voltage system, it's capacity, etc, well enough to not screw it up.

If the heater is the only high power draw, it would be simpler to build a DC heater. A 230VAC heater should work on 200VDC at a lower power level. Start with a 1300-1400W heater, and you would probably be there. The only potential problem I see with that is the fan. If the heater fan has an AC motor, then replace it with a universal or DC or run it off a low power AC inverter.

3. gummih

gummih New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    That's pretty interesting I hadn't thought of anything like that, but I would also like to have a regular outlet for other stuff.

What I'm also thinking is to be able to draw power from the HV batteries even if the Prius is switched off. I could mod the front cigarette lighter outlet but the capacity of the 12v battery is pretty little I hear.

(My brother is both a mechanic and an electrician, the ideal person for the job I would think :) )

4. markderail

markderail I do 45 mins @ 3200 PSI

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    See PriUPS-getting electricity FROM your hybrid vehicle (I think).

In a nutshell, you can a computer server / rackmount UPS system that runs on 220-240VDC, but you don't buy the batteries, just the controller.

You wire the controller to your HV battery, and when you Prius is ON, it will recharge the HV with the ICE. Apparently 1 week's worth with 1 tank if you don't draw too many amps.
    Many controllers can get you a full 15 amps @ 120VAC, which is 1800 watts.

Sometimes used ones with a battery pack can be found for under 2k$. You can then have the Prius HV & the UPS battery pack wired in parallel - with two heavy duty Diodes of course to protect the car, and be able to use the UPS charging system for it's own batteries.

A great DIY project, cheaper than buying a 4-stroke gas generator than can handle 10 amps continuous. Most 2k$ generators need an off-duty cycle and have a "peak" draw.

Have fun !