1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Is there a way to search for FREE ev charging stations (LA)?

Discussion in 'Gen 1 Prius Plug-in 2012-2015' started by priusenvious1, Dec 9, 2012.

1. priusenvious1

priusenvious1 Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Google maps has EV charging stations mapped. But it's not comprehensive, and it doesn't tell you which ones are free vs pay. Any other way to find this out?

2. John H

John H Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
  3. Rebound

Rebound Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    PlugShare also has an iPhone app

4. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I've heard complaints about PlugShare's inaccuracy because people don't know how to use it. See My Nissan Leaf Forum • View topic - CHAdeMO QC count: 1881 Japan 1366 Europe 430 Other 85 USA 92.

BTW, CHAdeMO is 480 volt DC quick charging w/a huge plug (which no Toyota vehicle currently or previously sold can accept). It is almost NEVER at a home.

In fact, I've never heard of anyone having that installed at their house, partly because the chargers (yes, this time the charger for this is in the unit, not the car) are very expensive (Nissan supposedly got them down to $10K, but that version's disappeared, leaving the $15K version). Tony Williams (former Leafer) had plans to install a CHAdeMO charger at his home in the San Diego area, but I'm not sure if he's still going to now that he doesn't have a Leaf or any CHAdeMO capable car anymore.

5. lensovet

lensovet former BP Brigade 207

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    generally, what i will do is use plugshare to search for stations, and then if i want more details about a particular station that's a network station (blink/chargepoint), I will use their respective apps to check the location/pricing. however, those apps are a nightmare from a UX standpoint, so i try to avoid them at all costs.
    one other thing – plugshare makes it very easy to make corrections, so the more people use it – and correct it – the better it becomes. i've already added a number of wall outlets and corrected info about some charge points that were on there. if everyone just made sure that the stations within a 4-mile radius of their home were all correct, and added wall outlets wherever they found them, we would be in great shape.

6. Rebound

Rebound Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I write a review on PlugShare for every public charger I've used.

lensovet likes this.