1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Is there a year to watch out for?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by red_otter, Apr 22, 2018.

1. red_otter

red_otter Junior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    While I am in the process of searching for my first prius and having a lower budget, websites like carcomplaints show that 2010 had a lot of complaints compared to others, while 2011 had the most expensive complaints. 2007 also showed to be year with a lot of complaints.

I narrowed my search to 2005, 2009 or 2012 and newer.

My question, is this website accurate with the years? Should I be concerned with getting a car outside of those years I have identified? My goal is to find a car that will last me at least 5 years before I'm in a better situation financially to get a new prius.

2. srellim234

srellim234 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    You can get quite a bit of information from True Delta as well. Fom the page below, you can click on the link describing each combination of years and it break things down by individual year with actual issues spelled out.

Toyota Prius Reliability by Model Generation | TrueDelta

3. fotomoto

fotomoto Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    IIRC, 06 and higher have (optional) side/pillar airbags. Not sure when they became standard. This was important to me. Also, later models (08 & 09?) had optional bluetooth but that's a cheap/easy work-around now.

04-09 Gen2
    2010-2015 Gen3
    2016-present Gen4

srellim234 likes this.
  4. Erik Owens

Erik Owens Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Guess what killer? They all brake and have issues,...even the all electrics, internal combustion only, and diesels.

5. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    who's killer?:unsure:

anyway, i'd say it's more about the individual car, age, miles, history, service and your ability to diy or write checks.

m.wynn, Raytheeagle and srellim234 like this.