1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Is there an EV Mode Flowchart or Complete Logic Diagram for when it will engage?

Discussion in 'Prius PHEV Plug-In Modifications' started by 2k1Toaster, Jul 24, 2010.

1. 2k1Toaster

2k1Toaster Brand New Prius Batteries

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I was wondering if there was a full list of all possible reasons EV mode will not engage.

There are times that I cannot go into EV mode yet all the reasons I have read about in multiple threads are not the cause (or I would suspect not to be the cause).

Is there a logic block somewhere that explains this?

So, you cannot engage EV Mode when:

• The startup warmup cycle engages until the engine warms up fully
    • There are less than 3 bars in the SOC on the MFD
    • The battery temperature is high (45C? Not Sure about temp)
    • Speed is above 55kph
    What else?

(I will try to update the list as new, corrected, or more detailed information is posted)

2. TheForce

TheForce Stop War! Lets Rave! Make Love!

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
  3. 2k1Toaster

2k1Toaster Brand New Prius Batteries

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I have not seen that PDF before, but it does confirm what I have above.

But it does not explain situations like:

Car has been on for 3 hours, driving normal. Randomly, it seems like it re-entered stage 1. The engine would not die. Sitting at a security checkpoint for 5 minutes, SOC at 7 bars (it is off of a highway, so offramp regen helps) the engine remained on. Pressing EV mode, it would refuse to enter EV mode. The highway speeds were actually 40mph and below because it is under construction, a state highway, and the beginning of it from a shopping centre to the very first exit. Ambient temperature ranged between 65F and 75F today while the car was on.

With car all warmed up, SOC even at full green - 1 (8 bars?), start the car, press EV and get denied. Outside temperature again in mid 70's

There are other times this happens as well, but both times the rear passenger side HV battery vent fan was NOT blowing. However today after climbing a 2000ft elevation change I drove head first into the driveway. As I shifted into reverse, engine died as usual. I actually had 3 bars left of SOC, yippee. Once I reversed into the garage, I put it in park, and instantly the ICE kicked on and started charging the battery, still at 3 bars on the SOC. EV button would not kill it. For kicks, I sat there and watched as it charged the battery up to 6 bars... Which doesnt seem normal. Usually it tries to charge up to 3 from 2 when maintaining. Once it got to 4 bars, the HV vent kicked into high gear from off to jumbo jet. Once the ICE kicked off, I pressed the EV button and it failed to engage. I turned the car off. Waited a second, turned it on again. SOC was still at 6 bars, vent was not on and did not turn on. Pressed the EV button and it did not engage. ICE started, vent stayed off. I shut the car off and went inside.