1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Is there Any Good Use for a Used Bad Actuator?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Technical Discussion' started by ebikeman, Jul 13, 2024 at 1:29 PM.

1. ebikeman

ebikeman Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    A few months a go I replaced my ABS Actuator. Since it cost so much, I had a hard time throwing my old one away.

I thought about taking it apart and if it's not a bad valve inside, trying to fix it (I saw a youtube video of a problem in the magnet area that was fixed pretty easily).

Other then that, is there any good use for an old ABS Actuator? We just throw it away?

Thank you,
    ebm

2. Tombukt2

Tombukt2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    No I got one laying right here I've blasted it apart a few times and looked at it and looked at the motor assembly and the accumulator can unscrew and you can buy those but seemingly it's not the accumulator this leaking it is leaking down because of valve is stuck inside this aluminum block whether it's screwed in to a threaded hole or how it's put in there and works and operates I don't really know I know some BMWs use a very similar looking actuator almost identical I've had them sitting side by side at the salvage yard No they won't interchange or anything like that but it's interesting that that is so and it was so way back in the '80s too when all this started I remember when break actuator assemblies for the BMW cars were three or four thousand dollars when they went out in like 85 so I guess we've come a long way even the BMW one now that looks like ours in generation to Prius that goes on I'm not even sure which vehicle is about $3,000 still so Toyota's not doing too bad .

3. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    there are millions of them in the salvage yards, hopefully the metal is recycled

4. ebikeman

ebikeman Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    How come you don't throw it away?

5. rjparker

rjparker Tu Humilde Sirviente

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    Hybridpit rebuilds them now.

6. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I had seen them advertise that service for gen 3 actuators. Do they do gen 2 also?

7. Tombukt2

Tombukt2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    That's really cool That's why I have one sitting here because I had a guy on eBay that said he could do the same thing had a pretty nice looking shop in his pictures with him sitting in the pictures and all of that nonsense I bought two of them from him and they've worked flawlessly can't find the SOB anywhere in the world all of a sudden I actually still owe him for one of the actuators I paid for one he sent to said either send the money for the other one or send the other one back I used them both tried to pay him nothing the money still sitting there for him to get nothing just sits there so I was going to take one when I get a minute and crack it open and bust it up I pulled the motor off one once and I've unscrewed the accumulator and that sort of thing I haven't really looked at it enough to figure out how to get to the valves and all of that sort of thing whether they're screwed in threaded holes or the whole block has to come apart or yeah all that so we'll see what I do know is that when I was at this very large friend of mine salvage yard called Wagner's in Durham North Carolina they're a big outfit man a million millions of dollars I did see a BMW actuator out getting ready to be sent to sports car salvage up in wherever North Carolina and I sat my actuator from a generation to directly next to it It is almost the spitting image of our actuator The plug is different but almost everything else is the same I bet it would bolt on the same bracket course it won't work I do know this but that actuator is covered by the remanufacturing process like AI cardone so there's something to that and my mind there's a way and a reason that these things get picked up for rebuilding there's some kind of decision made there's some kind of something Toyota won't release the information and allow it or something I don't really know how it works but it seems like there's some funny business going on. But to be honest about it to get out of the problem for $1,150 or something like that for the part is not bad because the BMW ones around $3,000 usually once you do this on a generation too it's done for the life so when you get to 400 550,000 you good generally it should have paid for itself.