1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Is there anything I can do to stop my catalytic converter from eroding? (See pic)

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by Ian Simons, Jul 4, 2020.

1. Ian Simons

Ian Simons Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I’m at the end of my 2nd caddy in four years. I’m concerned because after the second one was installed, the underlying problem that undoubtably existed was never diagnosed.

I pressed the technician for answers, and his response was that the amount of labor it would take to diagnose the problem could tally three quarters of the car’s value, and even then there wasn’t a guarantee.

I mean they couldn’t even give me a theory, which could of gave me some direction on what to do.

So here’s what i know: I’m almost at 150,000 miles. I’m burning oil a little faster than I use to, and my converters keep clogging up and dying (see picture).

I read installing a oil catch can won't stop oil use, but It will catch a lot of it from burning in the engine, and possibly help the cat.

Does anybody have any other theories, remedies or solutions that they think may apply here?????

Attached Files:

#1 Ian Simons, Jul 4, 2020
    Last edited: Jul 4, 2020
  2. Raytheeagle

Raytheeagle Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    @m.wynn has boiled his before :).

It's gotten him through the NY inspection 2 cycles now;).

He'll be along eventually and can show you his home brew boiling method(y).

SFO likes this.
  3. SFO

SFO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thank you for the image, though it is hard to see if the Cat is eroding, or if it is just plugging up with carbon and SAPS.

If the CAT in that image is under a year old, then installing a OCC would be a good idea, even if it didn't prevent future issues.
    Some have switched to a heavier oils, done oil flushes and additives, some have tried piston soaks, some replaced the valve stem seals, some have soaked the cat to remove the build up, the list goes on and you may want to try all of the options, or spend 2k every year on a cat.

What weight/brand and type of oil do you currently use?

Have you tried engine flushes or piston soaks to potentially mitigate the oil consumption issue?

Raytheeagle likes this.
  4. TMR-JWAP

TMR-JWAP Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    What catalytic converter is it? Is it a Toyota OEM replacement or aftermarket?

5. SFO

SFO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
  6. sam spade 2

sam spade 2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    PLEASE STOP posting about the same subject in multiple threads.

This should have gone in the OTHER cat converter thread that you started.
    And some of those questions have already been answered there.

For instance, the catch can mod is NOT intended to protect the cat; it is there for other reasons.

7. Ian Simons

Ian Simons Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    It’s Toyota under warranty.

8. SFO

SFO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Since it's under warranty, then the dealer should be replacing it for little or nothing.

9. Kenny94945

Kenny94945 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Four
    Under warranty, so the cat replacement issue is cured?
    Yet, OP is concerned that there is an underlying problem?

My 2 cent comment would be, noting the OP oil use comment, would be to first do a leak down test.
    See if there is a head gasket or valve stem seal issue leaking oil into the exhaust chamber, thereby clogging the cat.

Also noting the OP states "keeps clogging", so how often?
    Catch cans can help reduce the amount of oil recycling through the heads and intake, with a cost of around $100 or $200.
    The "old style" full throttle "tuneup" might also help, in other words race around/ accelerate aggressively ever so often.
    Also inspecting the spark plug condition may add some insights, inspecting now and after the tune up.

Yet repeating a leak down test is where I would start and I might doubt that would be a warranty covered test, but ask the dealer.

Good luck.

10. ETC(SS)

ETC(SS) The OTHER One Percenter.....

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Last time i looked at a map, The OPs location put them behind the tinsel curtain, so OCCs are a no-go.

I'm very skeptical of a car that's burning sooo much oil that it's fodding out a cat in 2 years.....in California.
    Is San Bernardino county asking you if they can borrow your car for mosquito control?
    How is it POSSIBLY passing a smog test burning that much oil?

The first thing I would do is close the loop on the Toyota warranty thing....AT ANOTHER TOYOTA DEALER.
    If they fix it?
    You're good to go.

If they don't, then you're going to have to navigate the wonderful world of cat replacements in the PRC, for G2 owners, and I would lean away from continuing to pour money into the car at the dealer.

If Toyota won't fix it, see what 2-3 independent muffler shops in your area have to say about it.
    They'll be a little surprised at how quiet your car is when you drive up, but they will be able to close the loop on what is going on with your cat (or O2 sensor.)

Good Luck!

11. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    look at the brighr side, no one has stolen it

SFO likes this.