1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Is there anything that I can do to fill the Prius gas tank to capacity (or 10-11gal.) in the winter?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by rubberpill2002, Feb 17, 2009.

1. rubberpill2002

rubberpill2002 New Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    I have a 2009 Prius which I fill up at 2 bars on the gas gauge, but it will only take 6 gallons or so. Is there a way to fill it the full capacity or at least close (10-11 gallons). There has to be some where to stretch out the bladder in the winter...

2. FireEngineer

FireEngineer Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Re: Is there anything that I can do to fill the Prius gas tank to capacity (or 10-11gal.) in the win

In the winter no. In the summer, fill it up, push the car side-to-side to burp the tank, fill more, repeat until your satisfied.

Wayne

3. judymcfarland

judymcfarland Queen of Moral Indignation

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Re: Is there anything that I can do to fill the Prius gas tank to capacity (or 10-11gal.) in the win

Oh man, the youngest child is almost 40 & now I have to start burping my "baby"?

4. patsparks

patsparks An Aussie perspective

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A

Yep, but no need to hold it over your shoulder or change nappies.

5. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius

At two bars a six gallon fill *is* capacity, especially in cold weather. You have to run it dry to get ten gallons.

Tom

6. john1701a

john1701a Prius Guru

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced

I wait until blink.

That consistently means 8 gallon refills, regardless of distance or season.

7. Graz

Graz Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    III

I have NEVER pit more than 10 gallons. I drive until I hear the beep then I set Trip A to zero. I have NEVER run out of gas. I have had over 40 miles on the TripA meter after the alarm went off. Though I rarely go far over 400 Miles per tank. I sometimes even get three weeks on a tank!

In my years of surfing PriusChat I have decided that we "Prius People" need to be a little less anal about completely filling each tank. There are too many differences in the counter pressure sensors of all the various gas pumps to get a consistent fill anyway. Add to that the issues that the gas bladder add to the mix. Temperature, Time of day… There are too many variables in the formula.

Granted... I say all of this knowing that I have an Excel spreadsheet with every cent I have ever spent on this car. EVERY tank full. Every wiper blade. Every filter. Everything! If I had access to that data now I could confirm that I get something like $0.45 per mile. (I think it should be better than that too).

Happy Priusing!
    :rockon:

8. fgoodyear

fgoodyear New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius

Winter in upstate New York...... I get the blink and the "add fuel" light....... I drive another 15 miles and put in 10.2 gal. The outside temp was apx. 28 degrees. In the summer, if I let it get to the "blink"... which usually I don't, I have put in 11.5 gallons as the tank is 11.9 capacity. I do have to burp it. If this is overfilling, then something is wrong. If the capacity is 11.9 it should hold 11.9 without doing any damage. I have 45k on it and have yet to have any problems.:cool:

9. richard schumacher

richard schumacher shortbus driver

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A

Resist the temptation to top off. It risks spilling fuel and increases hydrocarbon emission pollution.