1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Is there collusion going on between CARB and Toyota dealers ? ...

Discussion in 'Newbie Forum' started by Falkie2008, Sep 14, 2013.

1. Falkie2008

Falkie2008 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2002 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    We bought our 2002 Toyota Prius and both the dealer and an independent shop say the catalytic converter has failed. But ... what I don't understand is why are there NO aftermarket converters for sale for cars registered in California which forces you to go to Toyota and pay an outrageous price for a new converter, while the other 49 states allow you to use an aftermarket converter.

Is the fix in with someone and that's why no one sells a converter for California owners ?

IF I wanted to get around this and the car were not still in the dealer's name, I could drive to Reno, get a mailing address, tell Nevada DMV we're homeless and living IN the Prius ( don't laugh, I actually saw someone doing exactly that when I went to the post office Wednesday ) and put on an aftermarket one for as low as $ 68.

My Mother is willing to help with the cost but this really has both me and my girlfriend furious.

I feel like its legal extortion or something.

Also, I got told by the independent mechanic that having a bad converter won't affect mileage, yet a Prius site says it will.

I also love the fact that apparently you can't get one off a Prius that's been wrecked and put one of those on.

2. drysider

drysider Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I got 303 hits in eBay for Prius Catalytic Converter. I do not think eBay cares where you are, and the one I looked at was for a 2002. A little welding and Bob's your uncle....

Good luck

3. JimboPalmer

JimboPalmer Tsar of all the Rushers

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    This has everything to do with CARB, and nothing to do with the dealers.

Catalytic Converter Database

Here are vehicles CARB has allowed an Executive Order so you can buy an aftermarket Cat. The Prius is not on their list.

Here is the order that no used Cats can be fitted. Aftermarket Catalytic Converters

heyjack70 likes this.
  4. F8L

F8L Protecting Habitat & AG Lands

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Jimbo is correct. I ran into similar problems with the exhaust manifold for a 2001 Honda Civic. The CARB legal unit was $800 but the non-CARB unit was $250. :/. The difference was one had the cat built into the exhaust manifold. Grrr

5. Falkie2008

Falkie2008 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2002 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    WRONG !!!!

None of those are LEGAL to put on a Prius registered IN California, which is why I am convinced the fix is in.

The sellers will NOT ship them to California residents.

Period.

I've looked at multiple sites for one and the only part you are NOT allowed to buy EXCEPT at a dealer is a catalytic converter.

I talked to CARB and they falsely claimed they have NO rule against an aftermarket converter being sold in California, yet their own rule banned them from being sold here in 2009.

I was also told by the lying employee that they can't force manufacturers to make them for California cars and if they choose not to make them ... which is a crock.

You can't buy a used one, you're not allowed to take one off of a wrecked Prius and you can't buy one except at the dealer.

Thus the state of California enriches Toyota dealers at the expense of drivers who are unlucky to live IN California.

Of course, I could move to Nevada, register it there and get one for $ 67 dollars and have it put on ...

6. mediahound

mediahound Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    So you have to smog check your prius? I know new ones are smog check exempt which means who cares what catalytic converter you put on. Any muffler shop can put one on for you in that case.

7. drysider

drysider Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I guess I am not really invested in what California wants to do. Have it sent to Uncle John in Phoenix and he can send it to you. Raging against the machine won't get you your converter.

8. bedrock8x

bedrock8x Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Any aftermarket CAT can be sold in CA as long as it is certified by CARB with a CARB part number on the CAT.

9. JimboPalmer

JimboPalmer Tsar of all the Rushers

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    And several are for Toyotas, I posted a database of which models had aftermarket Cats near the top of the thread. No one has stepped up for the Prius yet.

10. dbcassidy

dbcassidy Toyota Hybrid Nation, 8 Million Strong

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Everything in Cali is illegal!

DBCassidy