1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Is this a bad idea . . .

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Accessories and Modifications' started by lizardacres, Mar 5, 2013.

1. lizardacres

lizardacres Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I'm buying a new Prius and want the OEM sway bar and lowering springs and was thinking of having them dealer installed BEFORE getting new wheels as it will be a wait for these as 1) need to decide which ones to buy and 2) I'm sure there will be a wait once ordered. Please rate this idea on a scale of 1-10 with a 1 being the most ridiculous idea you have ever heard. Please explain your score.

Can you ride around on a drop with the OEM wheels? Will I look like a lowrider?

2. Mike500

Mike500 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    I don't know where you are, but I wouldn't get the dealer to do it. They usually can't even get the oil level right in a oil change.

I's find an independent "specialty" shop. If you're in California, you're really in luck.

3. BZzap!

BZzap! Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I definitely would'nt allow the dealer to do it. They will rape you on the price for labor. Either DYI or have an independant do it. Also, I would think twice about lowering it. You'll just tear the hell out of the front and rear paneling. The car is too low as it is. Mine has already suffered damage to the facia and rear bumper corners. You have to use caution over the slightest dips and rolled curbing.

4. JimboPalmer

JimboPalmer Tsar of all the Rushers

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    Most 'modders' think it is their aftermarket wheels that lowered their MPG, you would be able to offer a hint if lowering itself also hurts MPG.

I am not clear why anyone would buy a Prius to ruin the mileage, but it seems to be popular.

fotomoto likes this.
  5. lizardacres

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    The dealer just gave me a quote of $850 just for installation of the OEM sway bar and lowering springs based on $140/hr for labor and 6 hours of labor. With the tools they have it's hard to imagine it really takes that long but on everybody's advice I asked my favorite mechanic for a quote and it's still $650 but this does include an alignment also - and I trust he would do a good job.

Anybody know a good place to buy OEM parts online? I bought a price list for a new Prius from Consumer Reports and they show the dealer cost for all the accesssories and the sway bar is $225 and the lowering springs are also $225. The dealer wants $379 and $349, respectively.

I'm impressed that nobody actually gave me a score for this idea like a -1. You are a well behaved bunch!

6. mnml

mnml Ain't nobody got time for that.

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    Where are you located? If you're in Cali then I can recommend a few installers that will be much cheaper than what the dealer is offering you. Here's a link to an online retailer for the hardware: Results for PRIUS 2010-2013 or if you're in SoCal, give Ryan at Elmore Toyota a call. I purchased my springs and sway bar from him and he offers a very competitive price.

Totmacher likes this.
  7. lizardacres

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Those prices are amazing! I will definitely be giving him a call. Thanks for the info. I'm in AZ so I'm still looking at other options for installation.

8. Totmacher

Totmacher Honey Badger don't give a carp

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Depending on my mood springs and a sway bar only takes me an hour to 1.5 hours. 6 hours, holly cow talk about milking it...