1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Is this a decent deal on a 2004 with 220k liles?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by LikeAPrius, Feb 13, 2019.

1. LikeAPrius

LikeAPrius Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    I found a seller selling their dads old 2004 Prius with 220k miles, the car works and as far as they know it doesn't have any problems but we can always find that out with a proper inspection and drive test.

Single Owned, taken care of apparently and it has a service record. How much you think this is worth? KBB says its worth $2,508 - $4,563 but I highly doubt its worth this much specially if its HV battery hasnt been replaced.

they are asking $2800

Location, OR, USA

2004P.PNG

#1 LikeAPrius, Feb 13, 2019
    Last edited: Feb 14, 2019
  2. oldtechaa

oldtechaa Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Alpha
    Model:
    N/A
    Did you say anywhere how much they were asking? I didn't see it...

I don't know where in the country you are; I hear California has cheaper Prii, but here in KY I probably wouldn't pay more than $3k for this Prius.

3. LikeAPrius

LikeAPrius Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
  4. oldtechaa

oldtechaa Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Alpha
    Model:
    N/A
    Thank you. This is pretty amazing if it hasn't had its battery changed; time is more of a battery killer than miles and 2004s are definitely in the age where you'd expect a battery failure. Are you handy? Nowadays, you can get a battery kit from 2K1Toaster (aka NewPriusBatteries.com) for $1549 and install yourself. Calculate purchase price and anticipated battery price and it will probably still be a good deal in comparison to less efficient, less reliable cars. You may want to haggle them down to $2500 if possible though.

5. LikeAPrius

LikeAPrius Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    Tags are good until 2020 so that’s a plus well I am gonna see if I can get it for 1800

If it has paaaed DQ it might be a good find

6. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    great deal!(y)

7. LikeAPrius

LikeAPrius Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    is it really thought? I mean I like that it has one single owner and they have every paper trail of every service done to it. I test drove it and inspected it and wow the car is in pristine condition. Well taken care of. But I didn’t do any code readings or battery tests. Hmmm

Damn 220k is quite a lot for a 14 year old car. The old Toyota van I had was an 87 and had 250k miles and I thought I drove that a lot!

8. LikeAPrius

LikeAPrius Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    Hey guys any more thoughts on this?

The car from the inside and outside looks amazing. But at 220k it might be near its end; how much should i haggle this for?

9. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    15 years x 15,000 miles per year = 225,000 miles, slightly above average, but not high by any means

Skibob likes this.
  10. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    they're at the low end of kbb, offer them $2,500. or less

if it had a new battery, it would be worth more, no?

11. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    just be prepared for potential expensive repairs, hybrids aren't fixed cheaply, unless you're expert diy

12. LikeAPrius

LikeAPrius Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    I did my best to check it as best as I could. No rust, new breaks, engine looks clean. No leaks.

Always garage parked. But still 220k for me just seems like a lot compared to all the cars I’ve own before. My 94 Corolla has 310k miles or so but it’s years older.

The battery has NOT been changed. You guys think 1900 is a fair offer? They’re asking 2600 now

13. LikeAPrius

LikeAPrius Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    I think I am gonna buy it

$1500 for new battery ( which I think the car will drive for at least 1 for year with its current battery)
    $2200 for the car

$3700

If I could just get 5 years out of it I think with the gas saving ( which I calculated to be $28.78 of savings a month) it should be well worth it.

The new Prius I bought has been taken by my wife she loves it and isn’t driving her Tacoma anymore. I might sell that

14. The Electric Me

The Electric Me Go Speed Go!

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    With all due respect, I've been following your threads on Prius Chat for quite a while now.
    You've now started 3.

" How much is a 2008 worth with 440 K miles? "
    " Found a 2001 Prius for $500 187K, good buy? "

and now

" Is this a decent deal on a 2004 with 220K miles? "

and in the meantime, you've already purchased a brand new 2019 Prius.

Not to sound snarky, but I really think you just need to decide what you want...and why want it, and either buy it or not.
    Your queries are kind of shot gun...that is all over the place.

But basically they are all very much the same animal. IMO when you are looking at Gen 1, and Gen 2 Prius at over a decade old, with high mileage, you're buying a project-taking a risk. Which is fine, if that's what you want.
    But your investment into Prius has been as low as a speculative $500- to actually buying a brand new Prius.

The Prius you are now considering, is 15 model years old, AND has over 220K miles on the odometer. Yes, there's Kelley Blue Book, and local market price...but whether the deal is descent, good, doable, acceptable, is really all up to you.

I would make NONE of the used Prius purchases you have presented unless I was willing to do so, knowing significant further investment might be needed.
    If I was willing to make that possible further investment in either both cost and DIY effort? Then I might be willing to make any of them.

But really the only person that can give you that answer is yourself.

Meekong, Skibob and padroo like this.
  15. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    how many miles a year do you plan to average?

16. LikeAPrius

LikeAPrius Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    Yes I went from a

2008 with 447k miles ( didn’t buy)

To a

2001 Prius 98k with miles which I did buy for $750 ( this was suppose to be my project car but the car ended up working fine - had a few bad battery connectors which were replaced and the car is working again but I was recommend to buy a new battery soon)

I gave this to my cousins until her parents buy her a new vehicle but now uncle is offering me $1000 for it. He’s full aware of its condition and is aware how expensive any repair and parts would be to it.

To a new 2019 Prius

You’re making it seem like I am buying things left and right.

If you’re annoyed at my oddness of jumping from Prius to Prius you could simple save yourself this, “call out” and ignore it completely it. If I am here asking around is because I am not about to go and buy 5 different Priuses. Yes I get it that just like with any old car with 220k miles I should expect problems but priuses they will be more expensive to fix. I get it believe me I’ve spend hours reading through this forum.

This red Prius despite how well taken care of is a 15 year old car with 220k miles at the end of the day. But I haven’t bought it yet and just want users opinions about this matter.

#16 LikeAPrius, Feb 15, 2019
    Last edited: Feb 15, 2019
    Meekong likes this.
  17. LikeAPrius

LikeAPrius Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    Between 2-3k

18. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    you should be fine, but you won't save any gas money at that rate. keep a maintainer on the 12v.

have you test driven it yet to see what it is returning for mpg's?

19. LikeAPrius

LikeAPrius Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    Yes I’ve test driven for ae Und 10 minutes it’s mpg shows 46 but haven’t driven on highway

I mean my old Sequoia gave me 19mpg so anything above this is fine with me

bisco likes this.
  20. LikeAPrius

LikeAPrius Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    Correction

I’ve test driven it twice, first was around 10 minutes and second time was 20 or so minutes. We drove to the dmv so that took us a while.

Seller claims it’s higher than 46 but I don’t think so