1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Is this a good price for a 2012 Prius Three? Is this price difference worth the travel?

Discussion in 'Dealers & Pricing' started by pinkkitty724, Sep 15, 2012.

1. pinkkitty724

pinkkitty724 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I've been searching around, called some dealers, and received a True Car quote from multiple dealers. I took the True Car quote to my local dealer and they did come down in price a lot though they told me flat out they could not match the price of True Car. The True Car price I have is $22528 (MSRP $26630) (+$599 dealer fee) with carpet mats + cargo mat. Otherwise it's just base Prius Three options. This car is 7.5 hours away. So, I would fly there on my way back from vacation and drive back up. Though this is not ideal, if I save enough it may be worth it.

The deal I was able to get locally (so no flight and no 7.5 hour drive) is $24500 (MSRP $27503) includes carpet mats + cargo mat and toyoguard elite (which the only part I care about is the paint/interior protection!) Even though I don't care about ToyoGuard, it seems they won't remove it. I assume because maybe they've already applied the paint and interior protection so it's already "there"? To help me decide today he offered me another $500 off, so, $24000 (+$399 dealer fee) as long as I can still get them to honor the extra $500 off.

All plus tax, tag title of course.. so I am not including that in my comparisons since those "are what they are".

Overall difference between these two **which I really need to confirm down to the dollar once I hear back from the $22528 one.. since I am not sure if the $599 dealer fee is their only fee** is $1,046 including the estimated gas costs, and as long as the flight price doesn't change (but I'd also be ditching my original flight which cost me around $200 but is already paid for). :) Do you think that saving this amount is worth the 7.5 hour drive back?

First ?- Is $24000 a good deal for a Prius Three with base color, ToyoGuard Elite and mats?
    Second ?- Do you think that saving this amount ($1046) is worth the 7.5 hour drive back?

I was looking here on the thread about who paid what and some got better prices for a Prius Three, some paid more, etc. So of course I want the best deal possible and want to make an informed and best possible decision!

Thanks all!

2. raimix

raimix Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I am also in the market for Prius 3 as well.
    Question: Where is the dealer offering $22528+599 ? Would appreciate if you can share.

In my opinion $24000 could be good deal depending on the area. Best offer from my local NY-metro dealers is $24000ish before TTL. I've read someone paying lot less on the forum so it really depends on the region.
    If I was in your situation I would buy the vehicle that's 7.5 hours away, as long dealer answers all the questions I need answers to.
    How many Prius 3 do you have at this price range? What colors do you have at this price range? Are these vehicles under 5miles? Locate the color you like, ask for built date. If it's out of state, do you offer registeration/plate for my state? Me personally I would be interested in their Prius 4 quotes as well.
    With all these questions answered, I would simply tell my self "I'm getting paid $1046 to fly->buy a car->drive 7.5 hours" It's a good payday ;)

3. pinkkitty724

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    The 22528+599 is Courtesy in 33579 zip code through TrueCar. I have to confirm the final price because I am not sure if there are any other "fees".

And I thought about it, it's actually more like saving only $946 because of the portion of my existing flight ticket I'd have to skip out on and already paid for, in order to fly to Tampa. And I'd either have to pay for a hotel, or drive all night and be exhausted the next morning. If I did a hotel, there's another $150 or so off the savings.. then meals. And if I have my hubby on the loan/paperwork, he'd have to come also- so double all this except hotel.

I am going to call the sales manager that offered me the extra $500 off locally, and tell him I got another quote for $23499 in the next local Toyota dealership (which I think is their biggest competition- this one is rated #1 in the state! So, they may work with me even more just so that the other doesn't get the sale..) But I am doubtful. The one offering me $23499 is base, no options. And at $24000, I am already being offered $3503 off MSRP. And they've only got a stock of 10 Prii. A stock of TWO Prius Three.. not much there so I think I am lucky they are doing what they are?! :confused:

4. pinkkitty724

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Checking on edmunds.com, invoice for this III is about $24918 though it's not an exact comparison because of the dumb "ToyoGuard" that they already put to the car. My calculations and using edmunds, I estimate the invoice to be about $24999. So I'd be getting it for $999ish under invoice @ $24k.

5. John H

John H Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    You should ask Courtesy if they will deliver the car to you. At 7.5 hours away I'm guessing 400 miles so delivery cost could be reasonable, a couple hundred. All the paperwork can be done through the mail.

6. pinkkitty724

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I did not think of that.... worth asking! Thanks! I've got a call in to my "representative" @ Courtesy.

7. John H

John H Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    You can always get your own quote for getting the car delivered at uship.com (yes, I know some of the guys at uShip).

8. pinkkitty724

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Did that- about $350 is the cheapest. Still makes Courtesy's price cheaper... but, I am not sure how I feel about the process of using a shipper. I'd be worried about scratches or dents or other things happening. :cautious:

STILL waiting for someone at Courtesy to call back. He said 10 minutes. That was about 3 hours ago.

9. John H

John H Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I just looked at their website and they offer a $250 internet reward, you could ask them to ship it for that amount.

10. pinkkitty724

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Hmm... who does? Looked on Courtesy and Uship and don't see anything about an internet reward... that I can find at least.

11. John H

John H Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    go to the "contact us" page on courtesy and it pops up. you mighgt have to enable pop-ups in your browser.

12. pinkkitty724

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Hmm.. still not coming up. I will try it on a different computer tomorrow. At any rate, however- no call back from them so I suppose they are not very eager to get my business. I will be going to my local dealer here and tell them what the other semi-local dealer offered me (their competition, I assume). My goal is to get the Prius Three with the mats and toyoguard as the one they've quoted me is, for $23,499 or $23,500. I think I will be ok with that but I really have no idea what is good, great, or awesome! If he says it's a go I will give him a deposit!
    It's only $500 less than their last number he gave me, although the one I have in writing is $24,500. Before I left he tried to entice me to buy that day with another $500 off. It sounded as though he'd still give me that extra $500 so it'd be $24000. So, if I can get another $500.. I'll consider myself extremely lucky and be very proud of my negotiating skills which have been motivated by my last deal gone wrong 10 years ago. I just sold my old car and went through the paperwork and realized I signed on some pretty expensive additions that I did not know about! Sneakyyyyyy stealership! :mad: But in my defense, I was only 18 and was depending on my Mom to negotiate for me and tell me when something didn't look right.. mistake number one! ;)

13. JimN

JimN Let the games begin!

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    IMO Toyoguard is a bunch of overpriced crap pushed on the customers in the SouthEast Region. How long do you really think a coat of wax & a can of Scotchguard will last? To get out of the Region you'll have to go to Virginia or Tennessee. If it is a regional charge it will be on the cars offered by both dealers.

14. pinkkitty724

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I agree. But they tell me they've already done the stuff to the car. If they haven't then that doesn't matter much to me.

15. slcMPG

slcMPG Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    $1000 for 7.5 hours that is easy, plus you get a little road trip out of it. I wouldn't mess with a shipper. You can also wait for a new car to come in and tell them not to put the guard crap on it. 2013 will be coming in at the end of the year so maybe some more deals on 2012s.

16. pinkkitty724

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I made a decent deal with a local dealer. Picked it up yesterday :)

17. LevD

LevD Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Do you mind sharing what you ended up paying and what color you got? I'm in the market for a 3 as well and it is helpful to know what kind of deals people are getting. Thanks!

18. pinkkitty724

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Sure! I got the Prius Three for $4k off MSRP= $23503 plus tax (6%), dealer fee ($399) and tag transfer ($87.50). It is Classic Silver Metallic (standard paint), misty gray interior, with mats and ToyoGuard Elite. The dealership told me this was the cheapest they've ever let one go for. I had basically pinned them against one of their competitors. :) Good luck and let me know what you wind up with!

19. LevD

LevD Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Thanks for sharing! I think you got a great price. I'm going to try to get around the same, but the lowest I've been able to get so far is 23900. I haven't put in the negotiation effort yet so next week I'll really make the push. Will share what I end up with :)

pinkkitty724 likes this.
  20. LevD

LevD Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Just wanted to share that I bought a Blizzard Prius 3 for 24,127 for an out the door price of 26600 (tax rate is 8.75%). I think I could have done a little bit better if I had wanted to keep shopping, but I'm happy with the price. Plus I ended up with an awesome sales person so I really don't mind having overpaid a tiny bit. Thanks again for sharing your purchasing experience!