1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Is this a good price?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by nuclianba, Apr 28, 2008.

1. nuclianba

nuclianba Jr Member? Thats what she said

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Hey all,

I think I know what Im doing and have found a good price, but thought I would get a reality check from the community before I sign the dotted line:

Im in Boston, MA, buying a new option #2 2008 prius (non-touring) in the silver color...I have a dealer quote for 22,079. Is this a good price? It seems to me like it is (another dealership yesterday wouldnt go below 23,300 for some reason on the identical car), and I am going to try to push it down to 21,500 and refuse to pay documentation fee, but not sure if that will fly and how far I will be able to push. Any thoughts to help me out before I head out to the dealership tonight?

Thanks!

2. tomctomc

tomctomc Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    i got the same car you are looking at (different color) at IRA in Danvers in March for $21972...

3. nuclianba

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    tomctomc, awesome, im looking at that same dealer...I PMed you for some more info on your exact configuration. I really appreciate the help.

4. Austin50mpg

Austin50mpg Prius Driving Right Winger

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Very nice price. 2008's are running low. There will be a wait for the 2009's coming out in September. I tried to negotiate around for an entire month. No dealer in my area would go below $200 off MSRP on an ordered Prius. There were a few Prii on the lots with a lot of unnecessary packages I could have negotiated additional $$ of MSRP.

5. morpheusx

morpheusx Professor Chaos

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    It seems like a very good price. My selling price last year for a package 2 was $21,900 and I got mine before the gas prices were out of control. I'd hurry up and snag it up before someone else does.

6. nuclianba

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Thanks for the info everyone...I went to the dealer last night to pick the car up...and ofcourse, as I walked in the door another family walked out and got into a brand new prius...the one I wanted to buy! They beat me by about 4 hours.

So the salesman looks through inventory and that was the last one on the lot...so he says I can order one for MSRP. I say no thanks, get up, leave, and am on the road when he calls me...so I turn around and head back in.

Long story short, he guarantees me the price quote price (22,072) and I had to leave a $500 deposit to lock it in, but now I have to wait for a package 2 prius to show up on the lot, which could take up to 4 weeks he said....(and yes, its all in writing and its also in writing that I can take my $500 back at any point if they dont have a matching car on their lot).

So...now I wait. I feel like he might be trying to bait and switch me, but I didnt know what else to do...no other dealer would get within $1500 of that price quote for the same car, and he was willing to honor it. Really, I WANT to believe him when he says they are honoring it to keep a good 'reputation', but until that car shows up and I have it, I just dont completely trust them....wish me luck!!!

7. timwalsh300

timwalsh300 Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Agreed. I went to a dealer near Boston on Friday to look at a Prius for the first time. They had only two 2008's on the lot (#1 and #6), and my salesman showed me the inventories of other dealers near by. Some couldn't get a single Prius on their lot for another 8 weeks.

There was a guy there before me just about to finalize a deal on the #1 but he walked out when they wouldn't waive the $275 fee. I bought it instead. The dealer told me that the guy called back the next day apologizing and asking if he could still buy the car (too late :D).

And there were people lined up behind me to look at the car in case I changed my mind too.

Tim

8. freshmtt

freshmtt Dachshund Addict

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    I hope you get your car soon, I know you must be kicking yourself now for waiting to buy it and then to have it gone before you walked into the dealership.

My experience here in the Chicago area is that they are flying off the lots left and right. I just bought mine on the 19th of April, and the dealership I went to had 21 in stock that Saturday, I just checked their online inventory now and it is down to only 8 left. So they sold 13 in just 9 days or so, many of the other dealerships in my area have maybe 1 or 2 in stock.

Keep us posted on the outcome and when your car comes in.

9. nuclianba

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    The saga continues...
    I decided to call every dealership I could think of in a 30 mile radius and ask for package 2 availability and whether they could match my 22072 quote.

After a bunch I get one dealership who calls back. When I had called an hour earlier, they had 3 package 2s on their lot, and they were going to check on whether they could match the quote. When they call back, one has been sold for MSRP, one is under negotiation and it looks like it will go for around MSRP. AHH!

The good news? The one that was left was my color, and they were willing to match IF I gave a deposit that minute over the phone and came in tonight to fill out the paperwork. No brainer...I put the deposit in to hold the car and Ill be there tonight to sign!

Im holding my breath...dont want to count my chicks before they hatch!

10. freshmtt

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    OMG :eek:
    I knew they were flying off the lots but WOW,, I hope you get it, let us know,

I went back and check my dealership again and now those 8 Prius that were left out of 21 are now all GONE!!!

Just a few hours after I posted this response about 8 of them being left, all 8 were gone from their inventory..

So just one dealership here in Illinois sold 21 Prius in just 10 days or so..

11. dwdean

dwdean Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    I hope you get it.

I bought mine through Costco auto program, so there was no negotiating, but I did have to wait a couple of weeks to be the package/color that I wanted.

Your price sounds more than reasonable, just beware of the little room, they WILL try and sell you the kitchen sink, with an extended warranty.

Good luck!!

12. freshmtt

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Any updates?? Did you get it,, hmmm, did you get it.... Please post, inquiring minds want to know!!!!!! :D:D:D

13. morpheusx

morpheusx Professor Chaos

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I too am waiting to hear if he got it.

14. prius729

prius729 New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Same situation around my area. Prius' are selling like hot cakes. Looks like I'll be waiting for the 2009's to replace my wife's Versa with. Good luck on your purchase.

15. Boo

Boo Boola Boola Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    In the NYC area I also hear that prices are trending upwards ... with some dealers asking for more than the MSRP!

That said, I also heard that in the past few days, one NYC Chatter ordered a Prius w/Package 6 at $100 above Invoice through Costco, and yesterday another NYC Chatter was offered a Prius w/Package 2 at around $350 above Invoice ($350 + $21,213).

16. nuclianba

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Yeah, the first dealer i looked at in boston (where tomctomc got his) told me they had 34 when i talked with them 2 weeks ago (thats when i got that quote from them!) and when i went in 2 days ago to buy (and missed by 4 hours), they were out of package 2s and had only 2 more priuses left, both package 5. so thats 32 in 2 weeks for them....

but yes, got to the other dealer last night, the paperwork was ready, and its done....got my prius for 22,072, package 2! I go back tonight to sign the financing, which is all worked out (it was too late last night to check some banks, so they did it this morning, gave me a call with options, and ill go tonight to sign). Then tomorrow, after registration processes, I can drive off the lot.

What an ordeal....but hooray!

It was interesting...while we were there, the sales manage who agreed to the price match came by at one point to speak with the sales rep helping us out. They stepped out of the cube and I heard the manager ask the rep 'any trade?' and when he said no (this is our first car), the manager made a head motion and said 'darn!'. My guess is he matched what now I know to be a good quote hoping I had a trade in he could undervalue to make up the difference...they also realllly wanted to make sure financing was done by tonight so it shows up on their April books, so that might have been another factor in them agreeing to match the price...whatever the case, im happy!

17. nuclianba

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Holy moly...is that number right? I looked at the tags on the car i bought last night, and their invoice looked like:
    $20,695 base
    $518 option package 2
    $126 floor mats
    $660 destination
    =====
    $21,999

I know there is holdback etc in there, but yeah. That $21,213 seems to only be the base plus option 2 price, doesnt include destination charge...am i missing something?

18. freshmtt

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    YEAH :dance::bounce:
    That is great news!!!!!,,

19. spf

spf Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A

Congratulations on your new Prius! I think you got a very good price. In early March I paid 21,809 for my package 2 before tax, lic, etc, but considering the apparently increased demand since then....you got a very good deal. Enjoy!

20. TravelBliss

TravelBliss It's worth the wait !!!

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    You got a STEAL for your package 2.
    I guess it all depends on where you live and the demand.
    Right now waitlists are between 4-6 weeks.
    base prices have gone up, as gas prices keep rising.
    Where I live, I couldn't touch a base prius for the amount you paid !!
    LUCKY YOU !!!!