1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Is this a normal sound regarding the brakes?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by StarBrite310, Jul 3, 2009.

1. StarBrite310

StarBrite310 ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    So I've been driving around all day in my new car and the only concerning thing to me is a noise that the brakes make whenever I hit them to stop or slow down. It makes like an airy sound, so hard to explain. Kinda like when you are pumping up something. Airy is the best term I can think of. Something tells me that this has to do with a new car and breaking it in, but I just wanna make absolute sure. Anyone know what sound I'm talking about? :confused:

2. stream

stream Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    It's probably the regenerative braking you're hearing.

3. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Regenerative braking, and no, it's not because your car is breaking in. The regenerative braking has a traction motor sound, much like what you hear on a subway.

Tom

4. StarBrite310

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    Ohh okay so this is normal then?? Not sure I remember it from my 06 Prius.

5. Vincent

Vincent Don't Wait Until Tomorrow

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    I have the same regen noise on my Gen III that wasn't there on my Gen II. I guess it just a reminder of what's really slowing down the Prius.

I traded my Gen II with 71K miles that still had plenty of brake linings left; so, I'll put up with a little Geroge Jetson noise.

6. jay_man2

jay_man2 jay_man_also

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I never really noticed the sound in my Camry Hybrid until a couple of friends rode with me and commented on how it sounded like a subway car. Now whenever I do here it, I have a vision of a subway car. :p

7. DianneWhitmire

DianneWhitmire High PRIUStess

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    Heya J! Morning!
    The cars with the 17" wheels do sound different than the 15's. I know the sound you are describing, and that's rather normal for the 2010 V package cars. If you are unsure, pop back in with it or bring it local to a dealership and go for a ride with a Prius tech... just to be sure and feel secure? :)

8. HTMLSpinnr

HTMLSpinnr Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    The regen sound in the Gen III is different than in Gen II due to the reduction gear that allows the electric drive motor (MG2) to run faster.

Additionaly, you may hear a pump buzz from time to time that is part of the braking system - this pump builds up hydraulic pressure that is used for braking, ABS, traction control, etc.

9. StarBrite310

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    This sound is still really bothering me. Unless the music is really loud, the sound drives me nuts. It's really the only complaint I have on the car, except for the blind spots in the back where my Gen II had none. The windows are waaaay smaller on the Gen III.

Anyway, this break sounds annoys the hell out of me :(

10. Bear68

Bear68 Member

BY all means, Take Dianne up on her offer and have the car checked out by a qualified tech. (One who has a bit of driving time in a Gen III under his/her belt). It is always better to be safe than sorry.

And Massive Kudos to Dianne for being on the ball and offering her assistance. This world needs more people willing to step up and help out whether it can be considered their "duty" or not...

ROCK ON DIANNE!!!:rockon::rockon::rockon:

11. DianneWhitmire

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    J - I'm concerned about this. I'm unsure if I have noticed a louder brake sound on a V package with the larger wheels... but I really would like you happy with your car... do you have time to bring it by at all? Let the service manager & I take it out and see??? I know the V package cars have more road noise...those are pretty large tires for a small car... but brake noise? That concerns me.
    Dianne

12. Vincent

Vincent Don't Wait Until Tomorrow

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    I hear an occasional loud buzz noise that sounds like it's coming from outside the drivers door; is that brake pump?

13. DianneWhitmire

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    Is this sound right after your car turns off?

14. herbbie1

herbbie1 New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I have the same "air" sound coming from my brakes as well. It is not the under the hood electric motor noise you get on occasion but instead a noise under the dash as if air is being released. I can sit in my car with the power off and pump my brake pedal and have the sound repeat over and over every time a step on the pedal. Doing this a few times in succession causes the electric motor sound under the hood to kick on every 6 or so pumps.

When driving, I hear the noise for the first few times I brake and it seems to go away after that. The noise is obnoxious and easily noticable. So much so that it seems as if this were normal for all 2010's it would be a common complaint.

I guess I will wait to see other peoples experiences before going to the dealer.

15. HTMLSpinnr

HTMLSpinnr Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    That be the sound of pressurized hydraulic fluid flowing as you operate the pedal - nothing to be concerned about.

16. StarBrite310

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    The sound has gotten worse IMO and is annoying me so much that I am bringing in my car on Thursday to have it looked at. My 06 Prius NEVER made a sound like this.

17. xvs

xvs Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    I also hear a sound on braking, but it's not airy: it's a very high pitched whine.

And it's really annoying.

Is that a normal sound?

18. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    The high pitched whine comes from regenerative braking and is normal.

Tom

19. a64pilot

a64pilot Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    To be sure it's the regenerative braking making the noise, put the car in neutral when decelerating and the noise should stop. I don't think you get regen braking in neutral. If the noise is still there when stopping in neutral, it's not the regen braking making the noise, it's something else.

20. hdubya

hdubya New Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Did you ever found out if this was an issue of concern or not? My 2015 makes the same noise.