1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Is this a scam? Replace front wheel bearing

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by SamSammy, Apr 26, 2017.

1. SamSammy

SamSammy New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    I need to replace both sides of my front wheel bearings. I already got parts from Rockauto and got an estimate from a local shop where I'm a regular customer at $400 (both sides, another $65 for wheel alignment). But I'm really short in cash right now. So, I went to another smaller shop owned by the Mexican owner. He said his shop doesn't have a press machine and doesn't do wheel alignment but he can replace the wheel bearing for me for $90 each, so to do both sides will cost $180. The question is, is this price realistic or is it a scam?

2. andrewclaus

andrewclaus Active Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Did you buy the whole hub assemblies? If so, you don't need a press. I haven't done this job yet, so I might be wrong, but alignment shouldn't be affected, or at least it can wait.

Did it sound like he's worked on the Prius before? Be sure the mechanic knows to disconnect the 12V to prevent brake issues (automatic electric pump). Otherwise it's standard front end wrench work any shop can do, and I would go for the cheaper deal.

SamSammy likes this.
  3. BigVanMan

BigVanMan Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Ditto on disconnecting the 12v battery before removing the caliper.

I just did a wheel bearing on my new-to-me 2004. You really don't need a press per se to replace the wheel bearing since it's held in by 4 bolts. The issue comes when the iron bearing/hub assembly is in contact with the aluminum carrier. If you are in an area that uses salt to de-ice roads, the resulting electrolysis binds the two pieces together so they are nearly impossible to separate; difficult, but not impossible. Took mine to a machine shop which used 4 sacrificial bolts (not the ones that came out of the carrier) and a large 4lb sledgehammer to beat the old bearing out of the carrier using the bolts. The new bearing/hub has the threads so nothing was damaged.

You could always go with the lower cost and have someone else align it afterwards. The alignment is recommended because you will be removing and disturbing a lot of alignment settings by removing the hub assembly. You might be able to get away without an alignment if the technician is really careful. But if the car pulls to one side going down the road or the steering wheel is no longer centered, I would pay for an alignment. It's cheaper than continually replacing tires.

SamSammy and bisco like this.
  4. SamSammy

SamSammy New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    Got it, thanks a lot

5. 05PreeUs

05PreeUs Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    At $90/side, that's REALLY CHEAP, like uber crap parts cheap. OEM hubs are in the $150/side and quality (name brand, OEM supplier) aftermarket are ~$90/side range for the parts only.

No need to get an alignment for hub replacement, strictly speaking, but it never hurts.

6. andrewclaus

andrewclaus Active Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    As I understand it, the OP already bought the parts and the quote is for labor only.

7. R-P

R-P Active Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I got the bearing for ~75$ few years back and ~100$ last year. And they were the same brand as the ones they replaced (even though they came in an SKF box, but since they were the OEM brand or so I thought, I never complained with the seller).

Both times I went to the Toyota dealer to have the bearing removed from the aluminium carrier. First time I tried myself, broke the bearing apart, had someone else try with a hydraulic press and an incorrectly fitting ring and then had the dealer try with a correclty fitting ring.

Last time my ABS-sensor bolt broke even though I used loads of IMAL on it. Be careful with that one. (Also a iron/steel in aluminum problem...)

#7 R-P, May 4, 2017
    Last edited: May 4, 2017
  8. SamSammy

SamSammy New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    Just got it replaced last week, labor $180 for both front wheel bearings and hub assembly and another $20 for tip (he asked me for it). I bought Timken from Rockauto for like another $180 both sides. And today, just let them replace front brake rotors and pads for $60 (again another $20 tips), got the brake kit for like about $50 from Amazon. Really satisfied so far, except there is VSC light showing when I speed 80 mph or more but it will disappear once I turn off the car. Maybe the mechanic didn't disconnect the 12v battery as I told him before doing the work last week. Anyway, nothing to complain for that price. The car rides so much better and I'm planning to do the rear wheel bearing and drum brakes later this month. My car is almost 198k miles and this is the first brake job.