1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Is this a settable option?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by Smooth Operator, Aug 5, 2004.

1. Smooth Operator

When I get home and turn off my car, the headlights remain on. So far, so good.

But as soon as I open the driver's door, the headlights go off.

It would be a whole lot nicer if they stayed on a while long... say 10-30 seconds.

I haven't found anything to indicate that this is user configurable. Am I missing something?

2. jamarimutt

jamarimutt New Member

I saw a Highlander do this... I thought the driver had left the lights on, but they went off automatically in about 20 seconds. I have not read a post saying that this is user configurable.

3. aarons12

aarons12 New Member

i miss that, my last several cars had it. but i have not seen anything on here about it. maybe this is another possiblity for coastal dave?

4. LeVautRien

LeVautRien Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    It sure is odd that they automatically go off so quickly, as I've never seen another car do that.

5. Frank Hudon

Frank Hudon Senior Member

part of the problem with the 20 second and then go out is that the Aux battery in the Prius is very small and only designed to boot the computer to have it start the car. It's about 1/4 the capacity of a regular car battery or less. In the Classic it's even smaller. The lights left on for any length of time posses a siginificant draw on it.

6. LeVautRien

LeVautRien Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    That would explain it.

And even though it's odd, I like the benefit of knowing for a fact that my lights are off, especially with the smaller battery. Even though I know lights are auto-off, there's still that hesitation to accept the fact that they're off if there's a delay. :mrgreen:

7. jamarimutt

jamarimutt New Member

And, if you drain the auxilliary battery enough, you'll get a big and very frightening red triangle warning. :mrgreen:

8. Frank Hudon

Frank Hudon Senior Member

yup and then you get a new battery. Happened in the wife's 2k1. Mechanic say's you need a new battery, she grabs her chest and he turns white and say's NO not that battery! warranty covered it.

9. daniel

daniel Cat Lovers Against the Bomb

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    I like it the way it is. Twice I drained the battery in my previous car and had to call a tow-truck to get a starter-boost. I feel no need for a 20-second delay.

Of course, if you open the door before you shut off the power, then the lights stay on and you drain your battery. I wish the lights would go off any time the power is off.

10. DaveinOlyWA

DaveinOlyWA 3rd Time was Solariffic!!

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    to say that the Prius 12 v battery has ¼ the capacity is stretching it quiet a bit i think.

there has been many reports of batteries dying because SS/SE was nt turned off and the car sat a month.

the SS/SE uses practically no power. to drain a battery in just a month tells me that the 12 v battery is much smaller than that. physically speaking, its not even a 10th of the size of a car battery.