1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Is this a valid ABS concern or is my repair bill being padded?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by pmelc1, Feb 7, 2024.

1. pmelc1

pmelc1 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I went to a shop yesterday to have my ABS pump changed. I have the part from a junked Prius (rear-end damage, low mileage and good condition) that I purchased years back. I was quoted flat rate of $200 beforehand for labor on the pump install.

When I got there they said there was an unspecified 'electrical issue' showing on their scan tool (I have a BlueDriver and Dr Prius and they haven't shown those codes) and said they would need to electrical diagnostics before putting the pump in, to ensure that electrical issues do not damage the new pump. He said I'd have to leave it for the day and it could be up to a $100-200 more. It's not a shop I've done a lot of business with before. As for the issue being unspecified, they speak almost no English so that's not as suspicious as otherwise would be.

I told them that I didn't have time to leave it (I didn't) and that I'd come back another day. Is this a common scenario with Prius pump or does sound like I'm getting jerked around? Even if the $200 is cheap for the install labor, I just want to know if I'm likely being BS'd at all.

#1 pmelc1, Feb 7, 2024
    Last edited: Feb 7, 2024
  2. Tombukt2

Tombukt2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    Something sounds fishy I don't know if they're scanner is picking up some kind of a code they don't recognize or what they have going on I can't see your car from here or anything like that. Generally there shouldn't be electrical trouble in the car that will take out the brake actuator I mean that's not a thing even a high voltage spike shouldn't take out the ABS accumulator pump assembly a big fuse under the hood should blow and so various and sundry other things would happen. So that sounds kind of weird now these are all non-english speaking Spanish folks or what have you I can't imagine usually they do good work if they understand the work they're doing. That's been my experience The $200 labor is not bad at all I would expect to pay more around 400ish to somebody that well knows what they're doing for the most part and knows they have the scan tool that can perform the bleed operation and they know how to bleed a car without a scan tool. So generally that's a pretty very decent rate actually I would just tell them here's another $100 don't worry about the electrical problem these cars don't have that going on I promise just let's get the pump changed out and see about getting it bled and then we'll go from there and you should supply the brake fluid Make them completely change it since you're doing this It's probably never been done just tell them to empty the reservoir.

3. mr_guy_mann

mr_guy_mann Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Don't know. Does your Blue Driver specifically show that it scanned the ABS and had no codes? Can it access ABS data?

Without some more info I can't really say.

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.