1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Is this about right for 5 people, city driving?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Fuel Economy' started by pyccku, May 24, 2007.

1. pyccku

pyccku Happy Prius Driver

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    We are halfway through our first tank - I have 4 more pips left. Average has been 46.5-47.5mpg.

There are 2 adults, three kids driving. Mostly 40-50 mph, with stoplights and signs along the way. Is this about what we can expect to get, or does it get better after the break-in period? I remember reading somewhere that efficiency goes up about 20% after you break it in.

2. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    For a mixed variety of drivers iin a variety of 'city' conditions that seems about right. It may improve some over time, but you've got a lot of variables and probably not all 5 drivers are as dedicated to high FE as you are.

3. pyccku

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Oops...I should have stated it more clearly. The two adults drive the car, the kids are only 2 years old and 8-year old twins. But we are all in the car at the same time. My husband drives on the way there, I drive on the way back.

4. efusco

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Oh, it should get better then. Depends upon how hard you try and what you do to improve the mpg. Tire pressure, AC setting, aggressiveness, etc.

5. FireEngineer

FireEngineer Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Evan's right, the 2 and 8 year olds probably aren't as concerned with MPG when they drive :lol: . It will get better, give it 5,000 miles. And don't forget to pump up your tires, the kids will never notice.

Wayne

6. pyccku

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Oh, and for sure we are using a/c! We are in Phoenix, it's been around 100 this past week, so we end up with low in the morning, but medium to high on the way home.

7. efusco

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Oh, I agree, the 2 year old should not be driving the Prius. I, instead, recommend an electric vehicle to start with....
    [​IMG]